Newest Members
Green_Lantern, Safe11ride, WillWins, neophiliac, Jerone
12118 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
betterdays (29), ChevyMan76 (46), cuda (48), swartzhund (42), wdf9 (70)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 75 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12118 Members
73 Forums
62517 Topics
438110 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#452389 - 11/04/13 02:56 AM I'm New...Hello.
carperson Offline

Loc: Hawaii
Hello. You can call me person if you like. I am a student and am in my mid 20's. I am male. The reason I am here is for my younger brother. He doesn't want an account here, but I hope that by learning about this subject I can help him now. I am very new to the subject and still learning.

#452390 - 11/04/13 03:24 AM Re: I'm New...Hello. [Re: carperson]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
welcome, person.

hope you like it here.
there is lots to learn.
take it slow and easy.

wishing you well.

War
Love
Poetry

#452406 - 11/04/13 07:52 AM Re: I'm New...Hello. [Re: carperson]
Obi Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: kansas
welcome to ms.

my story

my vlog

#452458 - 11/04/13 04:10 PM Re: I'm New...Hello. [Re: carperson]
Jude Offline

Loc: New England
Welcome Careperson,

You're a good brother. Is he in therapy?

Jude
I turned to look but it was gone
I cannot put my finger on it now
The child is grown, the dream is gone
And I have become comfortably numb."
Pink Floyd

#452498 - 11/04/13 09:05 PM Re: I'm New...Hello. [Re: Jude]
carperson Offline

Loc: Hawaii
Yes. He is. But I'm not sure it's helping him. When I pick him up I sometimes hear the end of his conversations with his therapist. They all seem to be relating to TV, School or other light subjects.

#452502 - 11/04/13 10:15 PM Re: I'm New...Hello. [Re: carperson]
Cthulhu Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cascadia
Hey person,

I too am a male in my 20s smile
Nice to meet you!

Being there for your brother will help. It may not always feel that way, but it does. As for T the end of my conversation with my T are about Dungeons and Dragons, Warhammer 40k, or school courses. The starts are also generally trivial. At times most of the session will be. This could be because I am in a good state and don't want to rock the boat too much that session, or because I am going to say or have said something really difficult. Therapy needs to be eased into.

The most important part of therapy is the relationship between therapist and client. Small talk can really be a tool for that.

Another important thing is that you do not -at all- have to understand everything to help. It's OK not to understand and just acknowledge that. You can still help by being there. Being there if he needs to talk about his shit AND being there if he wants to just hang out play video games or whatever it is you two can share.

Also let yourself acknowledge this is rightfully a hard situation for you. It is very hard to see someone you love suffer. Feel free to use this site for your own support as well. There is a friends and family section where others are coping with their loved ones "recovery". Also, feel free to message me if you are feeling you need to get something off your chest. I can listen, or offer my own two cents if you want that.

Sorry to hear your brother needs your support but it is really amazing that you are trying to help him like this. Thank you for being an awesome human being laugh

Edited by Cthulhu (01/03/14 08:38 PM)

my story context

Moderator:  ModTeam, Publius, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.