Newest Members
cricket1007, Nickie98, jahfree, Daryl X., tryintothrive
12496 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
joeybird (54), ladyinwaiting (46), txpearl (46)
Who's Online
8 registered (iaccus, Jay1159, Bluedogone, 4 invisible), 23 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12496 Members
74 Forums
64168 Topics
447782 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#449281 - 10/05/13 02:18 PM Catholic
JoeSmith Offline

I am Catholic and it has helped me in my recovery.

Greg

#451780 - 10/29/13 10:47 PM Re: Catholic [Re: JoeSmith]
DavoSwim Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa, USA
Greg

It has helped me as well. It's somewhat surprising since I was abused by a priest. However, I've learned to distinguish between the church as a compilation of teachings, tradition, writings, beliefs, dogmas, etc and the church as an institution which carries out the business of the church. The former is what helped me, the latter is what nearly destroyed me.

As I've gone through my recovery, my faith has strengthened. I feel blessed to be a Catholic.

I wish you all the best

Dave

Edited by DavoSwim (10/30/13 12:40 AM)

#451817 - 10/30/13 08:25 AM Re: Catholic [Re: JoeSmith]
Bill61 Offline

Loc: Illinois
Hey Dave and Greg,
I was just reading the topics when I came across your topic about catholic and saw that you guys were also abused by a priest. I was born catholic, but since the abuse I will never step foot inside a church.

One thing I should add is that I went to a jesuit all boys high school that had priests as counselors, teachers (some teachers weren't priests) and the headmaster/president were priests as well. My abuser was my counselor who was moved from schools like others. He worked at two schools in Ohio, one in Indianapolis, mine in Illinois, then moved to California and later to Detroit, MI.

Bill61

"I am in charge of how I fell and I choose HAPPINESS" from The Law of Attraction.

#451830 - 10/30/13 10:43 AM Re: Catholic [Re: JoeSmith]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I too was abused by a parish priest. As the memories unraveled and took over my life I left the church. I put all priests as bad and sadly people I knew who profess to be so Catholic were the cruelest of people as I faced the past--their actions and words were debilitating and destructive. They tell a story that seems to forget the abuse. And I met wonderful supportive people, some Catholic and some not--and this made me realize not all Catholics are bad. Ironically, it was a priest I met who probably unbeknownst to him was a catalyst in healing--connecting me to the diocese that ultimately allowed me to receive the validation of the abuse I needed. A second priest during a visit to my college, a Jesuit institution, also showed compassion and understanding. He was welcoming as was the first priest I met at the parish one year ago to bury my Mom. Both acknowledged the devastation of the abuse and the church's actions. I have learned there are good and bad amongst all people from friends to family to strangers and institutions. These two priests are helping me to reconnect to the church. I am not 100% there but I know there is a void in my life because of the wall that was built between the church and I.

My anger was so deep toward the priest I lost myself and lumped everyone in the church into one bucket--evil. This was validated as I lived actions and words from so called Catholics that recreated the emotions of the boy in the cellar obeying the priest. But now I understand there are good and bad amongst us all. I also understand peoples actions can be driven by fear, loss or their own needs for power or love. I also know some people do bad things from fear or their own needs but basically are good.

I believe one day I will be reconnected to the church but will not buy into some of the dogma they profess.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.