Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
BobbyJay (53), john50049 (57), Samii (34)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64014 Topics
446752 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#451620 - 10/28/13 07:37 PM Re: Child Advocacy A Step to Heal But Not Enough [Re: Still]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Originally Posted By: Still
On what topic would you present to High Schoolers? Just CSA in general is rather broad and beyond the scope of non-parental control. In your last post it looks like you are trying to encourage disclosure. That's not for a non-professional to perform and certainly ought not be pitched to a large gathering of peers.

Good questions. I certainly would not be encouraging disclosures in real time.

It would have been closer to CSA in general, with the gist being who perps can be, how grooming works, the stats, and how it isn't their fault. And that even if it does happen, you can build a good life afterwards.

It sounds broad, yes, but this is how the other presentations from when I was in that high school worked. The guy with alcoholism talked to the kids about drinking and peer pressure. The bulemic girl talked about eating disorders and body image issues. The full-body burn victim talked about disabilities and social expectations. With that entire program canceled, it makes less sense - is more random - to have a CSA survivor talk about CSA and basic safety. I honestly think I'm more upset that they canceled the program altogether than that I didn't get to give a little talk. As a former teacher & youth mentor for those age groups I know I could have done it, but they've clearly changed their entire mindset regarding experiential learning on issues of social need.

Matt

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#451622 - 10/28/13 07:39 PM Re: Child Advocacy A Step to Heal But Not Enough [Re: KMCINVA]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Never Sugar Mountain
Quote:
how grooming works, the stats, and how it isn't their fault. And that even if it does happen, you can build a good life afterwards.

BRAVO!!!

I love it! PERFECT for any teen group.

Now if they will pay attention long enough so as to not feel threatened by the free-speak!

Awesome approach!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.