Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
adam319 (46), Bellemaman (36), Bob G. (58), S D Witwicky (38)
Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 30 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63225 Topics
442123 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#451213 - 10/24/13 08:11 PM Re: AA: Yea or Nay? [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I admire your courage in facing your addictions. For many AA or NA works. I met many in support who have found support and healing in AA or NA. I think Jude said it well, the addiction was a symptom of a deeper trouble. I have known people who have gone to AA or NA and found help but for some going did not help, they were unable to admit or uncover the "deeper trouble" of abuse or the feelings of not being loved by a caregiver and other experiences that negatively impacted the child. Several people commented at sessions and I heard a high percentage of people suffering depression had childhood traumas. Sadly, we look at trauma as being something violent but it can be neglect, absences, mixed messages of love, bullying and many other acts.

I believe one needs to pursue the support that will allow them to be honest as to the deeper trouble, but many deny the deeper trouble and never truly heal. If AA works and I have read the philosophy and can see there are many supportive concepts if one truly and honestly embrace.

Whatever support you receive, it will require you to look inward and find the "deeper trouble" and accept the trouble.

Good luck and you know everyone here is rooting for you--and are here no matter what you decide and to cheer your successes and to help pick you up when you may stumble.

Kevin

#451291 - 10/25/13 06:21 PM ! [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

!

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (02/28/14 10:17 PM)

#451317 - 10/26/13 02:05 AM Re: AA: Yea or Nay? [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
scottyg Offline

Loc: Seattle
Gary you are awesome. I am such a disgusting fan boy. You're way too evoloved to sit in a regular schlumpy AA in a church basement with bad coffee. You're a survivor. We need to talk.

-Scott
I'd give it to you if I could -but I've borrowed it.

#451320 - 10/26/13 08:19 AM Re: AA: Yea or Nay? [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
On The Fringe Offline

Loc: Southeast USA
Sounds like you are ready to work AA. It is a program where you get out what you put in.

The steps related to a searching and fearless moral inventory are designed to bring up and out the deeper issues.

I found the non judge mental attitude helped me much. I have sponsored people and listened to inventories too. It does something to the listener to accept and embrace the person sharing, to see the power of acceptance on their face.

I had never understood the value of acceptance, although I crave it myself. We are complicated indeed.

I hope you find what you are looking for. There are various personalities to groups, and meeting types.

#451323 - 10/26/13 08:51 AM Re: AA: Yea or Nay? [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
don64 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St. Croix, USVI
Hi Gary,

I nearly destroyed myself with alcohol and was only able to begin the process of stopping drinking at 45. Of course I had much deeper issues. I had been in therapy, self-help, meds, workshops, psychics, shamans--anything I could think of to try and understand what was going on with me. However, nothing was going to be very successful until I was conscious. Drinking was a massive pain killer, but it kept me fairly unconscious. AA was very helpful to me for about 1 1/2 years. It didn't satisfy my spiritual needs and I needed to develop a personal model of spirituality for myself. However, that first 1 1/2 years was a critical time for me. I needed the support. I'm 64 now and alcohol is no longer an issue for me. However, I have serious and early abuse issues still which could not be effectively addressed if I drank. Do what you need to do to quit drinking and move to a healthier and more sustainable way of living. You drink because you are in pain. Quitting without support is difficult. There is an old AA saying about what happens when you quit drinking--"The good news is your feelings return. The bad news is your feelings return." Much love and best wishes.......Don
Divine Law is not judgment or denial of self truths. Divine Law is honoring harmony that comes from a peaceful mind, an open heart, a true tongue, a light step, a forgiving nature, and a love of all living creatures. Jamie Sams & David Carson, Medicine Cards

#451371 - 10/26/13 06:22 PM ! [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

!

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (02/28/14 10:17 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.