Newest Members
MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two, VASurvivor
12331 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
2 registered (woodenshoes, Obi), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12331 Members
74 Forums
63409 Topics
443331 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#450674 - 10/19/13 09:17 PM Study: Most child abuse victims under 5
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
The majority of child abuse victims under age five
80% of perpetrators are parents
More than half of the perpetrators are female

National Academy of Sciences

http://ordinaryevil.wordpress.com/2013/0...ors-are-female/

Quote:

In the first major study of child abuse and neglect in 20 years, researchers with the National Academy of Sciences reported Thursday that the damaging consequences of abuse can not only reshape a child’s brain but also last a lifetime.

Untreated, the effects of child abuse and neglect, the researchers found, can profoundly influence victims’ physical and mental health, their ability to control emotions and impulses, their achievement in school, and the relationships they form as children and as adults.

posted by Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (10/19/13 09:19 PM)

#450691 - 10/19/13 11:25 PM Re: Study: Most child abuse victims under 5 [Re: pufferfish]
don64 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: St. Croix, USVI
Isn't it amazing it's taken so long to uncover this information. I'm 64 and didn't begin to remember my father's sexual abuse until age 53 and did not begin to remember the specifics of my mother's sexual abuse until 5 months ago. The physical abuse and torture I remembered much earlier, but only began to piece together the systematic and brutal enforcement of submission from me very recently. Most of my abuse was from 0-3 1/2. It's possible my father raped me at age 8. Something happened then that is still totally blocked. I have been searching for myself since age 20 through therapy, medications, psychics, shamans, self-help, personal growth, body work, etc., and am only now getting healthy enough to realize how damaged I am. Thanks for posting this...........Don
Divine Law is not judgment or denial of self truths. Divine Law is honoring harmony that comes from a peaceful mind, an open heart, a true tongue, a light step, a forgiving nature, and a love of all living creatures. Jamie Sams & David Carson, Medicine Cards

#450694 - 10/20/13 12:03 AM Re: Study: Most child abuse victims under 5 [Re: don64]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Lots of healing of the brain occurs naturally over time. Sleep and good nutrition are important.

Puffer

#450719 - 10/20/13 05:40 PM Re: Study: Most child abuse victims under 5 [Re: pufferfish]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: pufferfish
Lots of healing of the brain occurs naturally over time. Sleep and good nutrition are important.

Abuse causes the brain to turn off certain parts of it's own circuitry, as though it is a giant switchboard. The parts of the brain turned off could be referred to as being in amnesia or repression.

Healing of these areas might involve remembering the painful event which caused the brain to "flip the breakers" on those circuits. This might be initially painful but it might be necessary. When these breakers are restored to normal functional levels, the brain regains it's normal function.

A wise counselor might be able to help the brain restore it's normal functional circuitry. The counselor (called a "T") can also assist in bearing the pain of reconnection.

EMDR is a therapeutic method which directly restores the open circuits.

Puffer

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.