Newest Members
jmr2191, autumn, tammy m, TheConqueror, Bloom
12425 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
12to17 (58), Aaron7712 (48), Defiance Is Best (46), Interpreter (30), Kenn (55), RichardPaulPoill (68), soul (34), Tyler845 (27)
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12425 Members
74 Forums
63808 Topics
445577 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#449843 - 10/11/13 11:45 AM Fear no more - National Coming Out Day
1lifenow Offline

Loc: west coast
A lawyer friend of mine was cross examining a hostile witness. The man refused to answer and the judge said if " if you dont answer sir , I will hold you in contempt". The man said i am 80 years old, hold me in contempt. I am not afraid , I really don't care. The judge looked perplexed, and decided it was just not worth it, the man was excused.

Once we lose fear of what others think, what the consequences will be and what we fear ourselves, others lose power over us. My friend the lawyer said that has what has made him so good at law, letting to of ego and losing fear.

When we come out about being gay or when we talk about our CSA in a matter of fact, open and frank way, all the anxiety we held starts to melt away. I came out on this day 3 years ago. it wasnt planned it just happened that way. The fear and self loathing i had held so close to my chest for so long like a bad hand at poker i had bluffed with all my life - well it just played out like that. Read it and weep. There WERE a lot of tears to be sure. But then something remarkable happened. My ability to look myself in the mirror, my honesty with those i loved for first time in my life was REAL, and low and behold i was not kicked from the table. They just dealt me another hand.

I dont have to bluff anymore. When you are playing your life from a power position it is so much easier, so much less stressful, you get to live in the moment. When you live in fear, you ruminate and regret your past, and you cogitate and lament about the future. "I can't , I could never, that will never happen to me, the people i know would hate me if they really knew me. " All that energy sapping self doubt and repression let go because i could see for the first time it wasn't true. Finally you get to enjoy today, because you dont have to constantly check in the rear view mirror and you dont have to guard your words or thoughts for slip ups that might reveal a "tell". Yeah for today!

I know we have to do it in our own time, I wish my time had been sooner, but i am thankful it came when it did. Again and again we are hearing more coming out stories from celebs and friends and the overwhelming message of hope and acceptance is like a NIKE ad. JUST DO IT!

big hugs

grant

WoR Barrie 2011

#450310 - 10/16/13 01:52 AM Re: Fear no more - National Coming Out Day [Re: 1lifenow]
1lifenow Offline

Loc: west coast
found this video today

very cool

WoR Barrie 2011

#450568 - 10/18/13 02:35 PM Re: Fear no more - National Coming Out Day [Re: 1lifenow]
newground Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: michigan
I cant even Imagine the courage it takes to do what so many have done. It is beyond my ability to even imagine it. Got to give you real props guys.
Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. let me then tow to pieces, while still chasing thee, thou damned whale! Thus, I give up the spear!"
Herman Melville

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.