Newest Members
Drew6991x, Miro, jj843, The Abyss, JW1230
12363 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Em (36), I Want 2 Thrive (49), midwest (29), Miles (50), MrDon (50), smurfette (33)
Who's Online
3 registered (unhappycamper, 2 invisible), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12363 Members
74 Forums
63535 Topics
443892 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#449395 - 10/07/13 08:54 AM Irritated Urges *triggers*
Onesimus75 Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Something about being an abuse survivor that really irritates me is what it's done to my coping mechanisms.

It's like, I learned that my value was as a sex object. So when my value feels threatened, there's this urge to go back to be sexual. Not only is the sexual act a "zone-out" (I've referred to it as my drug of choice among AA types) that gives me a bit of an escape, but I catch myself feeling that if I can perform sexually then at a core level I'm OK.

I can see that this is crappy thinking. I KNOW it is. I'm just irritated because I'm where I often am at the end of a long weekend. Tired, questioning myself, and it's like there's this little voice in my head saying if I just get off then I'll feel better...

Technically, yeah?

On bad days I'm irritated that my perp stomped this pattern into me: come be sexed and that means you're loved and ok.

On good days I'm like: It's too bad that I have this wound but it is how I deal with it that matters.

Thanks for letting me vent, guys. I just needed someplace to stop and say: ARGH!

Hope you're all doing as well as can be!

#449401 - 10/07/13 09:16 AM Re: Irritated Urges *triggers* [Re: Onesimus75]
On The Fringe Offline

Loc: Southeast USA
I enjoy your posts. Thought provoking.

But how much of what is considered 'being a man' is about our ability to perform sexually? It is the fabric of our society

I totally own and enjoy those times when I am great in bed. And it also bothers me when not. I have ended relationships where we did not click in the intimacy dept.

Interesting you see the excessive side to it. I suspect you are exactly right. At times in my life I was not able to ever feel loved, no matter how much sex was involved. It has been a while in thinking about that.

This concept along with the other post on shame and guilt feelings being misplaced seem like they overlap a bit.

I hope you find the balance you seek. You have kicked open a new door for me to think on.

#449427 - 10/07/13 03:01 PM Re: Irritated Urges *triggers* [Re: Onesimus75]
Rich1967 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: PA
I think I've always referred to what you're talking about as sex = love. Without sex I felt unloved. I couldn't be loved or give love without it. I'm learning to do both now WITHOUT SEX and it's awesome. Ironically as soon as I started to learn this I stopped being as successful in bedroom. Performance issues SUCK. The only performance issue I've ever really had was that it happened too fast. Now sometimes it doesn't happen at all :-( The only good news is that I'm able to love others more and be loved by them so it's just an annoyance as opposed to the end of my world like it would have been just last year if this had happened.

Glad you could vent her and hope you are doing OK.

I am doing quite well today myself!

"Me too" - I don't think I will ever get tired of saying or hearing these two words.

My Story:
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=441625#Post441625

#449448 - 10/07/13 07:21 PM Re: Irritated Urges *triggers* [Re: Onesimus75]
Onesimus75 Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Thanks guys. As usual coping seems to involve simple basics. Eat. Sleep. Reach out. And think it through when I've got more emotional reserves.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.