Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
alan's marc (43), Opal (59)
Who's Online
3 registered (Cthulhu, Taylor238, 1 invisible), 77 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62528 Topics
438168 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#448941 - 10/01/13 10:14 PM The Unitarian Church
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

Does anyone here have experience with the Unitarian Church? I have heard some positive things about it and have been giving some consideration to attending a service but I'm not sure yet. In my teens I more or less developed an aversion to organized religion and as an adult that aversion has basically solidified and hardened but from what I have heard the Unitarian Church is one that steps outside the scope of basic Judeo-Christain teachings and is more philosophical than dogmatic.

My religious beliefs could pretty much be summed up as being agnostic but I do often feel like I have a spiritual side, only one I am not very in touch with. As a child I was made to go to a Presbyterian church and I hated every second of it. If you are a protestant and it works for you than I can respect that but when it comes my own experience with the protestant church I can honestly say, "been there, done that, bought the T-shirt and threw it out." Much of my mom's side of the family is Catholic and I know enough about it to know that it wouldn't work for me either. I'm honestly not sure that spirituality of any kind will work for me but if there is a chance, maybe I should give it a try. My life is empty and meaningless. Maybe something out there can fill this void.

I can't promise anyone I'll attend a service anywhere but any feedback anyone could give me on this would be appreciated. Thanks. Peace,

Ken

#449091 - 10/03/13 10:36 PM Re: The Unitarian Church [Re: BraveFalcon]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

I don't know much about it but I've heard they are heavy on community and about as far from right-wing fundamentalism as you can get. I've heard the same things you have about them being philosophical rather than dogmatic. I know that I once heard an atheist say "if I was forced to go to church, that would be the one I would pick."

So take that however you want, I guess. =)
"As long as the child within is not allowed to become aware of what happened to him or her, a part of his or her emotional life will remain frozen . . . all appeals to love, solidarity, and compassion will be useless."
-- Alice Miller

#449106 - 10/03/13 11:56 PM Re: The Unitarian Church [Re: BraveFalcon]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
Originally Posted By: BraveFalcon

any feedback anyone could give me on this would be appreciated...

Only cuz you asked!

I was raised in the Catholic Church as was my entire town, each abuser and my violent father. All I remember about that Catholicism is that it hid the Bible from the people, added human-based power where it does not belong and tried to scare me out the door. It did.

As for what became of my eternal soul; you'll have to see the movie...the 5-minute movie. Its as genuine as can be. They could not fit 90% of all the garbage of my life into 5-minutes, so they had to carve the CSA stuff out into the only story and actually cleaned it up to keep it from being too gross.

Still's Globs

New Video

#449205 - 10/04/13 08:24 PM Re: The Unitarian Church [Re: BraveFalcon]
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south
Ken,

I dropped in to read some things and ran across your post on the Unitarian Church. I attended a local Unitarian Church for quite a while when I first became single. It was not a bad experience and I can honestly say it helped get through some difficult times.

This is based on my observation, but I can agree with Jacob that they are about as far to the left of the religious right as you can go. But it was okay for me for a season. I found the messages to be more intellectual than spiritual, which was cool. It made me want to attend the following week just to get the thought processes going again and open up new venues of topics to think about.

Given my personality, it was hard for me to step into the communal feel of the church, but it still was a positive experience and I'm glad I had the time spent there.

I can recommend, as a boy brought up in the Baptist way, the Unitarian is worth a visit. You might like it. I did.

#449332 - 10/06/13 10:12 AM Re: The Unitarian Church [Re: ThisMan]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Hi Guys. Thanks for the info. Didn't have time to check out the church today and won't be able to next weekend either but maybe the weekend after that. If I do, it's going to feel a little weird and uncomfortable walking in there alone and not knowing anybody or what to expect. If I don't wind up going that will likely be the reason why. I suppose we'll see what happens.

Rob, thanks for sharing the video. You're very brave to have gone on TV like that to share your story. I feel like I'm talking to somebody famous now. smile I used to pray that God would kill me myself but I haven't done that in a long time. I figure if there is a God and he hasn't killed me yet, he's going to take me out when he damn well pleases. This is coming from someone who has been in life threatening situations more than once. (Not during the CSA though but as an adult.) These days for me to pray at all is a very rare event. Not 100% sure that anyone is listening when I do or if I'm just talking to myself in my head. I used to pray every single night when I was a kid. Now I have little relationship if any with any kind of God. Maybe that will change down the road, maybe not. I guess that's why I'm considering the Unitarian thing. I'll let you guys know if and when I move on that. Take care all. Peace,

Ken

#449351 - 10/06/13 04:24 PM Re: The Unitarian Church [Re: BraveFalcon]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
i, personally, have zero experience or knowledge of the unitarian church, but i did a little research.

Unitarian Universalism, a religion that celebrates diversity of belief, is guided by seven principles.
Congregations are places where believers gather to nurture their spirits and put faith into action through social work in local and global communities.

There is no formal conversion process, so becoming a Unitarian Universalist is simply a matter of self-identification.
Membership is voluntary and does not require renouncing other religious affiliations or practices.

There are seven principles which Unitarian Universalist congregations affirm and promote:
•The inherent worth and dignity of every person;
•Justice, equity and compassion in human relations;
•Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations;
•A free and responsible search for truth and meaning;
•The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large;
•The goal of world community with peace, liberty, and justice for all;
•Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.

Unitarian Universalism (UU) draws from many sources:
•Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life;
•Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love;
•Wisdom from the world's religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life;
•Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God's love by loving our neighbors as ourselves;
•Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit;
•Spiritual teachings of earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.

These principles and sources of faith are the backbone of our religious community.

Explore each principle in greater depth, from Unitarian Universalist perspectives:
•1st Principle: Each person is important.
http://www.uua.org/beliefs/principles/282067.shtml
•2nd Principle: Be kind in all you do.
http://www.uua.org/beliefs/principles/282069.shtml
•3rd Principle: We're free to learn together.
http://www.uua.org/beliefs/principles/282074.shtml
•4th Principle: We search for what is true.
http://www.uua.org/beliefs/principles/282073.shtml
•5th Principle: All people need a voice.
http://www.uua.org/beliefs/principles/282072.shtml
•6th Principle: Build a fair and peaceful world.
http://www.uua.org/beliefs/principles/282071.shtml
•7th Principle: We care for the Earth.
http://www.uua.org/beliefs/principles/282070.shtml

If you still have questions, contact info@uua.org for a personal response... or visit the FAQ page.
http://www.uua.org/beliefs/faq/index.shtml

Unitarian Universalist Association | 25 Beacon Street | Boston, MA 02108 | (617) 742-2100
http://www.uua.org/

hope this helps.

War
Love
Poetry

#449353 - 10/06/13 04:41 PM Re: The Unitarian Church [Re: Still]
On The Fringe Offline

Loc: Southeast USA
Originally Posted By: Still
Originally Posted By: BraveFalcon

any feedback anyone could give me on this would be appreciated...

Only cuz you asked!

I was raised in the Catholic Church as was my entire town, each abuser and my violent father. All I remember about that Catholicism is that it hid the Bible from the people, added human-based power where it does not belong and tried to scare me out the door. It did.

As for what became of my eternal soul; you'll have to see the movie...the 5-minute movie. Its as genuine as can be. They could not fit 90% of all the garbage of my life into 5-minutes, so they had to carve the CSA stuff out into the only story and actually cleaned it up to keep it from being too gross.

I watched that. Man. I have a new and deep respect for you and the power of Jesus the Christ in your life,

#449471 - 10/07/13 10:03 PM Re: The Unitarian Church [Re: BraveFalcon]
atari_kid86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Michigan
It's funny this thread would come up at this time in my life. smile

My wife and I have recently become members of a local UU church.

There is so much love, openness, community and acceptance there. We love being part of the community and getting to know the different members individually.

The church was a great fit for us. I grew up in a Lutheran church and school, but became a spiritual agnostic in my late teens. She on the other hand grew up with no religious background what so ever. She was a practicing Pagan for many years.

We wanted to go because we wanted to find a community to be a part of. We also wanted to be part of something that we felt mattered. The UUs are very much social activists. My favorite saying from a recent service was "When someone asks 'What do Unitarians stand for?' I tell them 'We don't stand for anything because we're too busy moving!'"

The seven principles fit what I believe to a T. Finding the UU church has been a transformational experience in my life.

If you have specific questions, feel free to PM me. smile

#449478 - 10/07/13 11:20 PM Re: The Unitarian Church [Re: BraveFalcon]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
I once took one of those tests on the internet that supposedly comes up with the religion/denomination/philosophy that most closely matches your beliefs. I was given:

Secular humanist
UU
Liberal quaker
Liberal protestant

It was pretty spot-on. My wife attended a UU church before we got married. She grew up Presbyterian...so you know from whence she came... I grew up nominally Episcopalian (which is pretty darn liberal). I guess today, I'm areligious, but I have spiritual side that is petty complex--one that isn't bound by dogma, but by universal truths..which indicates we might want to check into the UU again. The liberal Quakers are also an intriguing group...

Will

Edited by Suwanee (10/07/13 11:20 PM)

My Story: Cruel Summer

#449605 - 10/08/13 09:49 PM Re: The Unitarian Church [Re: Suwanee]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Hi guys. Wow, I never expected to get that much great feedback.

VV: Thanks for putting all that info together for me. Some of it confirmed what I already more or less knew about the UU church but some of it was new to me as well. Thanks.

Atari Kid: So cool to hear that you're a member. I may have some questions to ask in the coming weeks and I'll PM you if and when I think of them. In fact, I know I'll have some questions, just none that come to mind at the moment.

Will: Yeah, I can pretty much tell from previous conversations we've had that you and I more or less have the same religious beliefs and/or lack thereof. I would be interested in where you took that internet assessment of your religious beliefs. I know nothing about the Liberal Quakers. Perhaps I should do a little research. Take care. Peace,

Ken

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, SamV 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.