Newest Members
dspwilson, Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated
12384 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alan Fountain (52), blindpet (31), egoror (49), Midas (33), uwa (78)
Who's Online
3 registered (kcinohio, 2 invisible), 30 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12384 Members
74 Forums
63653 Topics
444536 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#448807 - 09/30/13 04:53 PM This is sick.
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
A barrister who described a 13-year-old victim of sex abuse as "predatory" in court has agreed to resign from the Crown Prosecution Service's rape panel of advocates, the CPS says.

Robert Colover will no longer prosecute in cases involving serious sexual offences or child sexual abuse.

He was widely criticised after remarks during the trial of Neil Wilson, 41, at Snaresbrook Crown Court in August.

Mr Colover also described the victim as "sexually experienced".

Wilson admitted abusing the girl at his home in Romford, London, and was given a suspended 12-month jail term.

The judge, Nigel Peters, said that when deciding Wilson's punishment he had taken into account the prosecution's comments that the girl looked and behaved as if she were older than she was.

His sentence has been referred by Attorney General Dominic Grieve to the Court of Appeal, where three judges will decide whether or not it is unduly lenient and whether they should increase it.

The CPS said that after a review of the case, Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), Keir Starmer, had found the language used to describe the teenager was "grossly inappropriate".

A CPS spokesman said the DPP found there was nothing in the instructions given to counsel - including information from the police, the prosecution papers or the pre-sentence report - that could have "expressly or implicitly supported describing the victim's behaviour in such terms".

He said: "Counsel in the case agreed that he should not have used the expression that he did and deeply regretted his choice of words.

"It was agreed that he would resign from the CPS Rape Panel of advocates and will no longer undertake prosecutions involving serious sexual offences or child sexual abuse."

The barrister will remain on the CPS' general advocate panel and will still be instructed in other criminal cases, he added.

--------------------------------------------------------------
If only he knew, just how much his words hurt!
He calls himself a lawyer, yet he tells the victim, that she is the predator!
He must himself be a perp!

#448818 - 09/30/13 07:32 PM Re: This is sick. [Re: reality2k4]
Jacob S Offline
MaleSurvivor

"It was agreed that he would resign from the CPS Rape Panel of advocates and will no longer undertake prosecutions involving serious sexual offences or child sexual abuse."

good. I think making the leap that he must be a perp is a little much. There are lots of people who believe the myths. A lawyer should know better though. I'm glad he won't be dealing with these kind of cases anymore.

The story is tragic, but this development is at least a silver-lining. Mere decades ago, this kind of language went unpunished. The judge in the Roman Polanski case, for instance, called the 13-year old victim a hooker and never faced any reprimand at all for it. So there is good news here mixed in with the bad.

Edited by Jacob S (09/30/13 07:33 PM)
all the people he can trust.
Like the one who stands behind him
cheering him on
Estatic when he stands defiant,
wild with abandon when he's gone

just stay alive.
do whatever you need to.
you are worth it.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.