Newest Members
RepressedMem, jet_step, JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut
12468 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AndyP (48), Gaius (50), JoziSA (52), mmafan66 (48), nltsaved (36), RMM (52), Steve63 (51), zenboy (51)
Who's Online
2 registered (Wife - Survivor, 1 invisible), 20 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12468 Members
74 Forums
64028 Topics
446831 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#433275 - 05/02/13 10:19 AM Brunswick School in CT, students molested 70s,80s
pluckmemory Offline

Looks like the Horace Mann school sex abuse scandal has emboldened male abuse victims of a teacher at the tony Brunswick School in Greenwich, Connecticut to speak up. And the school hired Kroll Investigative firm to contact former alum.

http://www.greenwichtime.com/news/article/Brunswick-deems-abuse-claims-credible-4481069.php

An independent investigation into sexual abuse accusations against a former teacher at Brunswick School turned up three former students whose allegations are credible, the school reported Wednesday.

The teacher taught at the school in the 1970s and early 1980s, said school spokesman Daniel Griffin.

Griffin said the teacher left the school for an unrelated reason.
The investigation, by New York City-based Kroll Associates, included interviews with more than 60 people, from former students to trustees. The accused former teacher was among those questioned.

#433276 - 05/02/13 10:21 AM Re: Brunswick School in CT, students molested 70s,80s [Re: pluckmemory]
pluckmemory Offline

Here's a portion of the letter by the headmaster of the Brunswick School, on their website. While the Greenwich Time, the only paper so far to report on the sex abuse, did NOT name the teacher, Brunswick School does. Name of the teacher is Timothy Tefft. According to the school letter, he lives in upstate New York.

http://www.brunswickschool.org/announcements/important-notice-may-1-2013/

May 1, 2013

To Members of the Brunswick Community,

On February 12, 2013, we wrote to inform you that a Brunswick alumnus had recently told the School that a former Brunswick faculty member sexually abused him when he was a student in the 1980s. The School immediately brought the information to the attention of law enforcement authorities, and a Special Committee of the Board of Trustees engaged a law firm, Day Pitney LLP, and an investigation firm, Kroll Associates, Inc., to conduct an independent investigation into the alumnusís allegation. . . .

While we have made every effort to respect the privacy of potential victims and the rights of the accused, we now believe that we have enough information to merit identifying the alleged perpetrator as former Brunswick teacher Timothy Tefft.

Edited by pluckmemory (05/02/13 10:21 AM)

#433277 - 05/02/13 10:23 AM Re: Brunswick School in CT, students molested 70s,80s [Re: pluckmemory]
pluckmemory Offline

Should any additional Brunswick students who feel they were the victims of sexual abuse wish to report it to the School, we urge you to contact Leslie Andersen, Director of Parent and Student Counseling Services, at any time. Her email address is LAndersen@brunswickschool.org. She can also be reached through the school switchboard at 203.625.5800 x 7033. Any further information that we receive will be forwarded to appropriate law enforcement authorities.

Edited by pluckmemory (05/02/13 10:23 AM)

#445424 - 08/25/13 03:20 PM Re: Brunswick School in CT, students molested 70s,80s [Re: pluckmemory]
JusticeStClaire Offline

Loc: New York
This story was really disturbing for me to read because I attended a different school with this teacher (he left Brunswick to teach elsewhere) and he was completely inappropriate with me and other students (I'm female). At any rate, he left this school in a similar situation so it was known that this teacher was crossing boundaries with young adolescents for many, many years before anything happened. None of my friends who knew him were shocked by this news that it finally caught up with him.

#448795 - 09/30/13 02:02 PM Re: Brunswick School in CT, students molested 70s,80s [Re: pluckmemory]
Sysyphus Offline

#448801 - 09/30/13 02:50 PM Re: Brunswick School in CT, students molested 70s,80s [Re: pluckmemory]
Sysyphus Offline

JusticeStClaire adds a new dimension to this topic. It appears that Tim Tefft preyed on everybody, male and female. I knew him too. I agree with everything she said. What is so scary about these guys is that they use seduction rather than force. That causes victims to blame and punish themselves rather than the predator. Tim made people want to be around him. Perhaps as we get older, the facade becomes more transparent. Maybe that is how JusticeStClaire saw through Tim's act. Tim did a lot of damage and I don't know if we will ever fully know how much. Fortunately, Tim got caught and is now going to be held accountable for who he is. He will not pay for all that he did in the past, but who he really is will now be known and publicly acknowledged and prosecuted. Tim is a pedophile, a pederast, a child molester, short eyes is what they used to call them in the penal system - take your pick. I am sure that many of us will feel a sense of justice and vindication when he is convicted.

#448850 - 10/01/13 12:40 AM Re: Brunswick School in CT, students molested 70s,80s [Re: Sysyphus]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
It's called "the Brunswick stew" sorry this is in bad taste but I couldn't resist.

Puffer

#450222 - 10/15/13 11:19 AM Re: Brunswick School in CT, students molested 70s,80s [Re: pluckmemory]
JusticeStClaire Offline

Loc: New York
I wouldn't say I saw through Mr. Tefft's actions until I was much older; when I was 12,13,14 I thought it was great that he was willing to treat us like we were adults (as I saw it at that age). I had to become an adult to realize how inappropriate it was. However, the part that frightens me is that there were, or rather came to be, adults aware of his behaviors, and they declined to take action.

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.