Newest Members
JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS
12466 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dm13 (39), Jaso (34), liliana888 (43), Raju (32)
Who's Online
4 registered (JW1230, SoccerStar, 2 invisible), 30 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12466 Members
74 Forums
64020 Topics
446783 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#448483 - 09/27/13 08:56 PM shocker: bible declares "there is no god"
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
smile just an example of how the bible can be used to argue any point, if words are taken out of context.

here is a direct quote from the bible.

"There is no God."

see for yourself.
http://www.biblestudytools.com/psalms/14.html

War
Love
Poetry

#448485 - 09/27/13 09:06 PM Re: shocker: bible declares "there is no god" [Re: victor-victim]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Never Sugar Mountain
Originally Posted By: victor-victim
smile just an example of how the bible can be used to argue any point, if words are taken out of context.

here is a direct quote from the bible.

"There is no God."

see for yourself.
http://www.biblestudytools.com/psalms/14.html

We sure have seen some spin in the past 20-years aye? The Yuppies of the 1980s did an amazing job making anyone feel justified in making Money your God. God WANTS you to be wealthy-ah!

#448508 - 09/28/13 12:48 AM Re: shocker: bible declares "there is no god" [Re: Still]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Well, yes, of course. If it's taken out of context.

That passage really says that:

The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God".

Puffer

#448887 - 10/01/13 12:59 PM Re: shocker: bible declares "there is no god" [Re: victor-victim]
JustScott Offline
Greeter Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

The Bible also says...

Judas went out and hanged himself...

and

Go ye and do likewise....

and

What ye do, go and do quickly....

Sadly there are many uninformed, unknowledgeable people who "think" they know what the Bible says, yet haven't a clue... but rather than go to the source they'll go to a website and take some other's word for it.... bad bad idea.

All those passages I quoted are in there.... just not all together in the same place and certainly NOT meant to be put together in that way.

Edited by JustScott (10/01/13 01:00 PM)

#448907 - 10/01/13 03:52 PM Re: shocker: bible declares "there is no god" [Re: victor-victim]
victor-victim Offline

I can't say how many times I have read the bible. Several times. Some of the books I have read dozens of times.

And yet I am as uninformed and unknowledgeable as ever... I still haven't a clue. It is infinite.

It's a little like recovery. A giant jigsaw puzzle. One tiny piece at a time and then you step back and begin to see a glimpse of the big picture.

War
Love
Poetry

#449165 - 10/04/13 12:17 PM Re: shocker: bible declares "there is no god" [Re: victor-victim]
tbkkfile Offline

Loc: Surrey, United Kingdom
So I'm a fool, corrupt, my deeds are vile, I'm an evildoer, not particularly nice to the poor?

#449174 - 10/04/13 03:23 PM Re: shocker: bible declares "there is no god" [Re: tbkkfile]
victor-victim Offline

I can't answer that question.

War
Love
Poetry

#449178 - 10/04/13 03:54 PM Re: shocker: bible declares "there is no god" [Re: tbkkfile]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Never Sugar Mountain
Originally Posted By: tbkkfile
So I'm a fool, corrupt, my deeds are vile, I'm an evildoer, not particularly nice to the poor?

First: If you don't believe in God, or believe there IS no God, then whatever the bible says ought to have absolutely no bearing upon you. Just like I don't give a rat's arse about the contents of the Koran. It has NO bearing on me.

Second: Psalms, though pure gold to me, is of the Old Testament. Its from the Jewish rules, laws and old relationships with God. No more stoning. No more sacrifice of children, lambs, etc.

The New Testament is the text of the NEW covenant with God. Jesus died in order to clear our imperfect ways, sin nature and certainty of always falling short of being good enough to see Heaven.

Third: Psalm 14 describes "The Wicked." It discusses that the wicked devour "his people as one devours bread." You as a child, being abused by anyone with power over you was instrumental in devouring your soul or turning you away from God.

This holds true with the theme in the New Testament where/when Jesus claims anyone who hurts a child will be worse-off than a man cast into the water with a mill-stone around his neck.

So...life made us this way. Life made ME this way. Only Jesus can love the Hell out of me that the evil doers led me to.

#449181 - 10/04/13 04:18 PM Re: shocker: bible declares "there is no god" [Re: Still]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I'm a believer also. It's not as though I chose to believe. It's as though God made Himself known to me. I can think of about 6 times when, as a child, I sensed God either drawing me, or opening my (inner) eyes to who God is.

I'm including in that list the time when I was tortured and abused in the summer camp and during one of those episodes I "died" during something called "deep throating" and saw light all around and then I came back to life. I recently found a reference to deep throating in a book written by an ex- MK-Ultra sex slave (escaped). She was compelled to do it and says she saw several of them die while being deep throated. She stated that they had received training as to how to hold their breath for several minutes while it was done. She said that one guy (who was a famous politician) took too long and she passed out. She was out cold and so her care-taker had to pull her out and revive her. I take this to mean that my experience has been validated. Asphyxiation is not terribly pleasant. I think I had what is called a near-death experience.

Puffer

Edited by pufferfish (10/04/13 04:23 PM)

#449185 - 10/04/13 05:31 PM Re: shocker: bible declares "there is no god" [Re: Still]
victor-victim Offline

Originally Posted By: Still

The Yuppies of the 1980s did an amazing job making anyone feel justified in making Money your God. God WANTS you to be wealthy-ah!

some random links on the subject of money and religion.
money is not our god
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtjwdGeQ7kY
if i were a rich man
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBHZFYpQ6nc
god wants you to be rich
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwxA7gc1Vpk
money
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qFYmsuC01c
for the love of money
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1ZuSx6zevQ
greed is good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF_iorX_MAw
greed is not good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eEAA37N_zw
miracles for money
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtyJmQiRMjA
What Does God Say About Money
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGRqvZtIHH4

War
Love
Poetry

#449187 - 10/04/13 05:37 PM Re: shocker: bible declares "there is no god" [Re: victor-victim]
newground Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: michigan
there is an interesting fact here that is easily over looked. the king James bible like ANY other is an imperfect rendering of the original languages. In the passage being discussed here. the words " THERE IS " is italicized. meaning it is added for read- ability. if we remove those words I think it speaks more to me as a survivor. " Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, "no God". or I will have no God, or some such thing. the difference is so subtle and yet it changes things. when I read it in this way I see myself and my interaction with God in a different way. It seems to help me think of my difficulty in relationship with Him in that I read it more as a warning to me personally. When I am so consumed with the "why" and I become so petulant and stomp my feet and shout and hit,it is then that He is saying to me , I know it hurts, but I am here.
Just my thoughts
Jeff

#449194 - 10/04/13 06:20 PM Re: shocker: bible declares "there is no god" [Re: tbkkfile]
victor-victim Offline

Originally Posted By: tbkkfile

in psalm 14 it also says...

"2 The LORD looks down from heaven on the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God. 3 All have turned aside, they have together become corrupt; there is no one who does good, not even one."

that means "not even one".
that means "not even" me.
there is no one who does good.
all we can do is try.

i love that prayer...

The Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr

am i corrupt, a fool, an evildoer?
am i not particularly nice to the poor?
are my deeds vile?
speaking for myself...
guilty.

Proverbs 12:15
"The way of a fool is right in his own eyes,
But he who heeds counsel is wise
."
Proverbs 1:5-7
"Let the wise listen and add to their learning,
and let the discerning get guidance—
for understanding proverbs and parables,
the sayings and riddles of the wise.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools despise wisdom and instruction
."
John 14:26
"But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost,
whom the Father will send in my name,
he shall teach you all things,
and bring all things to your remembrance,
whatsoever I have said unto you
."

War
Love
Poetry

#449243 - 10/05/13 02:34 AM Re: shocker: bible declares "there is no god" [Re: victor-victim]
tbkkfile Offline

My apologies to all, I shouldn't have lashed out and quite frankly it was unforgiveable, I was in a bad place.

Victor your last post moved me to tears

Quote:
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

#449246 - 10/05/13 03:31 AM Re: shocker: bible declares "there is no god" [Re: victor-victim]
victor-victim Offline

we're all getting better. together.

please do not feel inhibited.
post your own truth.
there was no offense.
it made me think.

thanks.

War
Love
Poetry

#449317 - 10/06/13 02:34 AM Re: shocker: bible declares "there is no god" [Re: victor-victim]
tbkkfile Offline

I'm rude in my post but you thank me Victor-victim, that's pretty humbling, is that what God gives you?

#449320 - 10/06/13 02:50 AM Re: shocker: bible declares "there is no god" [Re: tbkkfile]
victor-victim Offline

i don't think you were rude.

War
Love
Poetry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.