Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cainrafael (28), GL (67), JohnP725 (66), Lloydy (61), Marie-TwoOfUs (35)
Who's Online
5 registered (WriterKeith, Jude, Cthulhu, lapchinj, 1 invisible), 26 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63186 Topics
441832 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#448114 - 09/24/13 06:13 PM !
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

!

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (02/28/14 09:50 PM)

#448181 - 09/25/13 07:39 AM Re: Ex-Pope Benedict denies abuse cover-up [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
WriterKeith Online   embarrased
MaleSurvivor

Loc: southern California
Gary, I saw this article and thought, "Of course he denies it. No new news here."

#448193 - 09/25/13 10:33 AM Re: Ex-Pope Benedict denies abuse cover-up [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
I think a lot of the scandals emerged while JPII was pope, and he was a terrible administrator, on top of the fact that so many bishops were mismanaging their own dioceses and this usually did not come to light until the situation was so bad it became a media trainwreck. when Pope Benedict was elected, the house was already falling apart at the seams and I think it is unfair to hold him singlehandedly responsible for an entire scandal that he just walked into. Many bishops and members of the curia resisted when he weilded his authority differently than JPII and I think this is ultimately why he resigned.

Francis' words on collegiality don't sit well with me... I think too much collegiality is how the church got into this mess in the first place. There are so many bad bishops that should have been "promoted" to the diocese of Antarctica so they can freeze their asses off while preaching to penguins because clearly they can't manage a diocese filled with people.

- Saint John of the Cross

#448197 - 09/25/13 11:25 AM Re: Ex-Pope Benedict denies abuse cover-up [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

I think denial is more hurtful to the survivors of priest abuse. I felt a sharp pain in my heart when I read his words. He knew and now tries to justify that the incidents of priests was not worse than other groups. I disagree and if this was correct it still does not justify the devastating acts these priests did to the innocent children who suffer for a lifetime.

#448199 - 09/25/13 12:26 PM Re: Ex-Pope Benedict denies abuse cover-up [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
He said:

"It's also not a motive for comfort to know that, according to sociological research, the percentage of priests guilty of these crimes is no higher than in other comparable professional categories. In any event, one must not stubbornly present this deviance as if it were a nastiness specific to Catholicism."

He was not saying this to minimize the effect on survivors or to deny the gravity of clergy abuse, but rather to point out that the Church is not the sole organization where sexual abuse exists. I'm not a professional media analyst, but it seems like the vast majority of media coverage of sexual abuse has to do with clergy abuse and does not reflect the actual breakdown of where sexual abuse tends to happen. Abuse at the hands of clergy is particularly evil because it is using one's position as a spiritual leader to manipulate and abuse those who are vulnerable. However, there are also other religious groups who have issues with sexual abuse among their clergy along with doctors who perform this, coaches, teachers and other carer/mentor type figures who abuse the roles they perform in peoples' lives in order to hurt others. I don't think the pope emeritus was trying to deny that this is indeed wrong.

- Saint John of the Cross

#448223 - 09/25/13 05:56 PM ! [Re: Smalltown80sBoy]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

!

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (02/28/14 09:56 PM)

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.