Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
melnjams (42), rage (27)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 22 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63188 Topics
441842 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#447952 - 09/23/13 01:55 AM martial arts
justplainme Offline

This past saturday i began taking Aikido lessons, which is a very spiritual kind of martial arts. I spar only with men, which is helping me overcome my sense of insecurity amongst my brothers.

Just wanted to share that I'm living and getting much better, and that this weekend after getting ahead i still felt the pull to become my 4 year old self...scared and petrified after, for flashback reasons.,but still im getting up and going next saturday.

Not giving up...

recovery is all about not giving up.

"Survivors need an opportunity to define their own sexuality in their own terms, rather than in reaction to the abuse, so that they stop allowing their offenders to have power over them sexually."

#447957 - 09/23/13 03:05 AM Re: martial arts [Re: justplainme]
risingagain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
smile Yup! I'm also an Aikido student!!! It can be challenging in terms of what it brings up but it has helped me SO MUCH to return to my body & connection with others. I love my Sensei!!!

smile

All the best to U Justplainme!!! Keep at it!

#447959 - 09/23/13 03:50 AM Re: martial arts [Re: justplainme]
justplainme Offline

thanks brother, best wishes 2 u as well. smile

"Survivors need an opportunity to define their own sexuality in their own terms, rather than in reaction to the abuse, so that they stop allowing their offenders to have power over them sexually."

#447964 - 09/23/13 06:13 AM Re: martial arts [Re: justplainme]
On The Fringe Offline

Loc: Southeast USA
Great progress!

I took martial arts as well. Wanted to no longer feel helpless. It actually helped a bit. I never had to use it.

Funny thing came to mind thinking on your post. My last abuse was over 40 years ago, but the rest of my life has been a reaction to it.

Wow..

Sounds like you are doing well for yourself.

#447978 - 09/23/13 09:35 AM Re: martial arts [Re: justplainme]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
I took martial arts too a few years back. It's a good confidence-builder. Good work!

One of the facilitators for the Weekends of Recovery demonstrates recovery concepts using Aikido.

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#447991 - 09/23/13 12:04 PM Re: martial arts [Re: justplainme]
justplainme Offline

I am, i think the healthier you get,the more sick you realize you were or are in certain areas,like a veil is lifted And you see the damage for what it really is.
The hardest part is seeing everyone else healthy in the sense That other men never have had to deal with This issue, but then i realized there is no sense in comparing myself to other's.
I want to be myself, integrate the abuse because it never really goes away. We can't go back to who we where at the age of the abuse,yet we can become stronger for it.
I intend to use the abuse and all the bag of shit it takes as an alchemical gift for my own transformation.
I don't think there is another way out.
Stay strong brothers!

#447992 - 09/23/13 12:18 PM Re: martial arts [Re: justplainme]
justplainme Offline

Things always get much worse before they get better.

#448058 - 09/24/13 02:01 AM Re: martial arts [Re: justplainme]
Onesimus75 Offline

Loc: Minnesota
25 years studying so far... and it's always helped.
It gave me a sense of control over my own body.
It gave me a safe way to practice getting close to others without having to worry at all about the terrifying sex stuff.
The acceptance and place I could earn there was a comfort to my heart.

I hear you.

#448163 - 09/25/13 04:10 AM Re: martial arts [Re: On The Fringe]
justplainme Offline

thats wise... you never had to use it. thats what's aikido is about.

#448164 - 09/25/13 04:12 AM Re: martial arts [Re: Onesimus75]
justplainme Offline

25 YEARS! wow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.