Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
corvairman1 (43), marianne (44), son (35), speedy (31)
Who's Online
13 registered (aniceguy, crabbott, CafeMan, atari_kid86, 6 invisible), 81 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62527 Topics
438165 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#447975 - 09/23/13 08:51 AM Penn State Highway Sign (trigger?)
Valkyrie Offline

I attend the university although thankfully I do not live there. I was driving home from school a few days ago, east on 322, when I saw a sign that read "Joe Patterno 409 wins" the sign above it read "You cannot cover up 61 years of success with honor"

You can see it here: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Paterno-Billboard-219909631.html

Grammar issues aside, I wanted to pull over and burn the sign down. It was dark. I drive a dark car. I had the means in the trunk....

This is the kind of madness that strikes the spouses and sigs of CSA survivors. We marvel at a world that goes on with daily life when such evil occurs. We break down. We suffer. We too become triggered.

I had to attend classes and be on campus during the thick of the Sandusky scandal. It was a living hell. I don't know how I got through that. I was nearly kicked out of a class when I went toe-to-toe with a former football player over "Joe's innocence" and this idiot's indescribable blame of the victims. I recently thought I had turned a corner with all of that...

And now this sign.

Anyone want to raise money for a counter sign? Because I am desperately trying to not give in to what I can only describe as eco-terrorism.

#447977 - 09/23/13 09:29 AM Re: Penn State Highway Sign (trigger?) [Re: Valkyrie]
CruxFidelis Offline

Loc: NJ
Has anyone been watching Breaking Bad? I've been addicted to it and I think what makes it such a compelling show is that you see a seemingly benign high school Chem teacher's descent into evil--he goes from family man to a man guilty of so many crimes it's impossible to list them. And while I have completely lost all sympathy for him, as evil as he has become you can still see that he is indeed very human.

We live in a society that is very confused about human nature.

Each of us has the capacity to commit grave acts of evil, and immense acts of good. These choices we make don't occur in a vacuum and I won't even begin go understand what makes people like Jerry Sandusky do what he did, or what made Adam Lanza shoot up a Kindergarten, or what made my rapist sexually abuse me while i was in the hospital on a ventilator.

I wouldn't be surprised if the man who nearly ruined my life and put me through the worst horror I could imagine, maybe did some good things too. When he came into my room to hurt me, I often thought of him as the personification of a demon. But more accurately, he was a human being, created in the image and likeness of the Creator, who was deliberately choosing to maim another one of God's children and cause him irreparable harm. He did not see me as a child of God, he saw me as a piece of flesh to torture, "Medical waste" as he called me.

Because he is a fallen human, and not a fallen angel, I pray for him. It's probably the only way he would ever have a true change of heart.

In the situation of my rape, I was a victim. I did not want what was done to me, and I am trying to exonerate myself of any responsibility rather than condemning myself which was my kneejerk reaction. However, I also do bad things. Just because I was a victim in that situation doesn't mean I am always a victim in every situation and shouldn't be held accountable for the ways I have failed in other areas of my life.

There have been times when I took all the rage I felt towards myself, out on my family. Harsh words, heated arguments, the cold shoulder, etc. I have let another person's monstrous acts turn me into a monster. But I am not a monster, I am a human being. My rapist wasn't 100% bad, and I am not 100% good.

There's no question Sandusky was a sick twisted man who left a wake of destruction in many children's lives. He probably also did some good things in his life, too. I have no idea where the good ends and the bad begins. I don't understand why so many people at that university sided with him when winning football games isn't even a moral good. How does it help anyone? It's not like he was helping the homeless or visiting hospice patients. Who really cares about football when it is just a facade for abusing boys? How does a community deal with the fact that one of its most beloved members "broke bad?"

I think the reason we have these signs up, is because we have these mass criminals getting lots of media attention and people demonize them. I think it makes us feel better about ourselves and feel better about the world we live in when we can stop seeing people like Adam Lanza and Jerry Sandusky as demons or other non-humans rather than humans. We shouldn't have to choose between acknowledging someone's humanity and acknowledging the vast evils they commit, and holding them accountable according to the law.

Edited by CruxFidelis (09/23/13 09:39 AM)

- Saint John of the Cross

#447980 - 09/23/13 10:14 AM Re: Penn State Highway Sign (trigger?) [Re: Valkyrie]
Valkyrie Offline

Jerry Sandusky has been judged and sentenced for his crimes. Joe Patterno had the convenience of dying before he could be held accountable for his role, assuming that would have ever happened.

Patterno, for the sake of a ridiculous game, knowingly allowed abuse to continue under his roof. Despite whatever accolades he garnered for the university, the only true good the man did was to contribute a world-class research library - one, for the record, I find invaluable in my work. That said, it is all for nothing when I think of the young boys harmed following the discovery of Sandusky's crimes, and Patterno enabled that.

I do believe all good acts can be wiped out with a single and truly evil act. Maybe it isn't forgiving, maybe it isn't a healthy view on the world, but then my view has been colored by the sheer agony my husband suffers day in and day out for the last 30 years on his life.

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.