Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
DruidWolf (39), Harry (33), knigh50 (53), mike54 (56)
Who's Online
5 registered (Greg56, I Want 2 Thrive, blockade, 2 invisible), 19 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63210 Topics
441990 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#447892 - 09/22/13 11:38 AM Healing, Climbing Mountains and a "Walkabout"
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Guys,

I've been pretty scarce lately. Work and family have really taken a lot of my time lately. Of course, this isn't a bad thing. Last year at this time I was a wreck. Two decades of running from things I couldn't see had just come to an end. I finally stopped, turned around and faced the hellhound that had trailed me since "it" happened.

Since that time, I've been through an emotional journey from some very low-lows to some very lofty highs. MS has been a terrific help. It still is...this is no "Dear John" letter. I've come to see that I'm hardly alone in dealing with this stuff. I've met some very interesting people here that I've been able to connect with even though we are largely names on a screen. I never underestimate the importance of these connections.

Through some good T work and talk on here, I find myself in a much better spot a year later. I hope everyone can experience some forward progress as well, but be sure it's on your timetable. It's an iterative process, but there will still be fits and starts and advances and retreats. There will also be plateaus. I have often used mountain climbing as an analogy to healing. That's especially appropriate in my case.

One way I'm marking a year's progess is by taking an extended solo hiking trip on the Appalachian Trail. This is a trip that has been put off repeatedly as other commitments come up. No longer. Like the Aboriginal Australian rite of passage of the same name... I'm taking a "walkabout."

Between high school and college, I completed all 2000+ miles of the thing. This week, I'm taking time to hike around 110 miles through the Great Smoky Mountains. On Wednesday, my wife will drop me off at Fontana Dam, NC where I will climb Shuckstack Mountain to the crest of the Smokies. From there, it's north along the spine of those ancient mountains with Tennessee to my left and North Carolina to my right until I descend to the Pigeon River valley and then ascend another range of mountains before finally ending in Hot Springs, NC where I'll spend a long weekend with my wife before heading back to the real world.

There's nothing quite Iike getting by on your own wits and motivation to finish a trek. For 9-10 days, my only task is to walk north. So...If I don't check in before that...I'll be a little disconnected in one sense, but certainly plugged into nature all the while.

Catch you later.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#447902 - 09/22/13 12:47 PM Re: Healing, Climbing Mountains and a "Walkabout" [Re: Suwanee]
toddop Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Will,

This sounds like an ideal getaway to have some time by yourself in nature. I really applaud this. I have been thinking of doing something very similar. I am not much of a camper or survivalist. But, nature has been calling me lately. I agree that it would be very healing to do this. I'm going to use this as inspiration to plan something similar for myself.

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
-Albert Einstein

#447907 - 09/22/13 02:02 PM Re: Healing, Climbing Mountains and a "Walkabout" [Re: Suwanee]
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south
Will,

The hike sounds like a tremendous statement of being where you wish to be in healing. Strong, resilient, and self-reliant with confidence in what you want and need. Proud of you man.

And the Appalachian Trail... for so many years I have wanted to hike a part of that. Not the 2000 miles you did when younger, and probably could no longer do the 110 miles you plan to do, but just to say I did a portion of it while I can still walk. And to hang out with the trees and the hills and the meadows. You may have given me a goal for the next upcoming birthday year. Thanks, dude!

Enjoy your "walkabout" and be safe.

b

Edited by ThisMan (09/22/13 03:48 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#447916 - 09/22/13 02:52 PM Re: Healing, Climbing Mountains and a "Walkabout" [Re: Suwanee]
pittsburgh Offline

Loc: west Chester, Pa
I sooo much can relate. When younger I hiked most of the trail. I remember it with much fondness. I compare being determined to complete the hike to what I have done these last few years. I set a goal to put to rest several of the traumas in my life. Not let them have power over me or control me. Just like climbing the knife edge in Maine I had to do it and did. We all have a right to be better and enjoy life more. Gods speed to you and be safe.
it is and has been quite a trip thru life, as last I feel that I am in a better place, it takes work and in my case a wife the was and is forgiveing and helpful. At last a relationship has gone right, messed up three.

#447951 - 09/23/13 01:16 AM Re: Healing, Climbing Mountains and a "Walkabout" [Re: Suwanee]
JoeSmith Offline

Suwanee-Will:
Based on your profile and interesting, forthright writing style, I hope you will stay on this web site, you are a tremendous asset to it. I know for someone like myself it is very helpful to see successful men who have dealt with this subject and been able to move on. I liked the combination of coolness and depth that you brought to this site, you seem to be intelligent and a role model type for all of us.
Hope you continue to do well and enjoy your trip hiking.
If you ever do decide to post an item on what things got you through the tough times for you, and what things worked for you, I know it would be very helpful to someone like me to read and learn from.
Good luck to you.
Greg.

#448034 - 09/23/13 09:35 PM Re: Healing, Climbing Mountains and a "Walkabout" [Re: Suwanee]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

Hi Will. Good luck out there man! I hope you have a wonderful time on your adventure and I hope it helps to bring you whatever healing, inner-peace and solace you are seeking. Having said that, you certainly are a more rugged man than I am, that's for sure. My idea of "roughing it" is when the power goes out and I have to sit in my apartment all night with no TV, internet, video games or AC. I can't wait to hear how this walkabout goes for you. Take care. Be safe. Peace,

Ken

#448037 - 09/23/13 10:05 PM Re: Healing, Climbing Mountains and a "Walkabout" [Re: Suwanee]
Rich1967 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: PA
@Ken - sorry about the Falcons. I think of you every time I see there score. I know how you are feeling - I'm an Eagles fan :-(

Will - I'm glad to hear that this is NOT a "Dear John" message. I can't take the rejection ;-) I feel guilty trying to guilt trip you into not leaving the site. See I need you to help me with the whole guilt thing... ;-)

I hope you have a great time! I am working with a friend to go do an outdoor adventure and while not alone I'm sure it will be a very healing trip for me.

"Me too" - I don't think I will ever get tired of saying or hearing these two words.

My Story:
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=441625#Post441625

#448039 - 09/23/13 10:09 PM Re: Healing, Climbing Mountains and a "Walkabout" [Re: Suwanee]
justplainme Offline

Congratulations Suwanee i'm happy for you.

Integrating the events of our life and not running from them is the only way, Like Churchill said, "If you're going through hell,keep going."

In a way to break this curse of side effects?Aches? Pains?... we are forced to own up to a bigger personal journey and pilgrimage for ourselves and the people around us.
Truly only love can save us. Mountain range extension love, i am talking about the one you follow blindly the one you never question, I hope that some of the mountain stay's within you this weekend, so may we be ever all strong and resilient like the mountain, which was born of the earth only to try and touch the sky.

"Survivors need an opportunity to define their own sexuality in their own terms, rather than in reaction to the abuse, so that they stop allowing their offenders to have power over them sexually."

#448048 - 09/23/13 11:15 PM Re: Healing, Climbing Mountains and a "Walkabout" [Re: Suwanee]
justplainme Offline

And also that you get some quality time with the missis!!! smile

"Survivors need an opportunity to define their own sexuality in their own terms, rather than in reaction to the abuse, so that they stop allowing their offenders to have power over them sexually."

#448129 - 09/24/13 08:45 PM Re: Healing, Climbing Mountains and a "Walkabout" [Re: Suwanee]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Thank you all for the kind words. I'm honored that others think I'm good for MS. I try to keep things positive and find good where I can. It's easier to do for others than for myself sometimes. I suppose this is true for others as well since it seems to be related to the whole "do as I say, not as I do" file. Well, I'm trying to actually DO something instead of just ponder it.

Although I'm antsy and ready to begin this trip, I also have some pangs of regret. I'm a great solo trekker, but I always dread leaving the comfort of home and hearth. It's so much more than sleeping in a tent versus sleeping on a TempurPedic bed. It's the step away from the usual and into a situation where I have to depend entirely on myself to stay well and get the job done Yes, that's the whole point of this, but I'm just leveling with you all. I've always had these thoughts before adventures like this...even when I was younger. I've done these things before, but this is the first time I've left a spouse and kids behind for this length of time.

It will be good for me...and I will be a better husband/father for it.

Peace.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.