Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
melnjams (42), rage (27)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63189 Topics
441846 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#447175 - 09/14/13 11:05 AM Compensation
Adam A Gedman Offline

Loc: Canada
I looking for a little input from the community.
I would like input from anyone, but Canucks who may have experience with this
would be most helpful to me.
I was poking around the main Male Survivor site and came across a link to
Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General's Victim Services Secretariat.
A little more poking and I discovered
The Criminal Injuries Compensation Board.
The thing that caught my attention was that there is a program that one could apply for compensation if a victim of a violent crime.
Although I don't like the term victim, I believe I am a victim of a violent crime.
If successful, my hope is to receive compensation to pay for my continued therapy, in any and forms that may take.

My question is do you think this is reasonable, acceptable, and has anyone else gone through this process? Can you offer any insight or direction as to how this process works and the likelihood of success?

Formerly Adam A Gedman (AKA - A damAGed man)

But you can call me Kevin

Toronto Mini WoR - May 2014

#447177 - 09/14/13 11:16 AM Re: Compensation [Re: Adam A Gedman]
risingagain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Yes, there is a process for applying for compensation. There are some requirements which I don't know. At BC Male Survivors they have a legal team that knows the process. You might want to try calling them, even though you're from out East. I think it's entirely reasonable that you receive support and help in your healing.

All the best to you, Adam! and all of us survivors out there looking for support!!!

Edited by risingagain (09/14/13 11:17 AM)

#447188 - 09/14/13 01:13 PM Re: Compensation [Re: Adam A Gedman]
Castle Offline

Loc: NJ
send a pm to geeders... not sure if he's around though.

My posts can self destruct at any time..read them while you can.

#447660 - 09/19/13 04:26 PM Re: Compensation [Re: Adam A Gedman]
Adam A Gedman Offline

Loc: Canada
Woo Hoo,

At my session with my therapist Monday, we discussed the Victims Compensation Fund. Apparently a simple process, they will confirm my submission with my therapist and depending on their decision, they will cover the cost of 'X' number of sessions.
There is a possibility for a lump sum as well, but not really what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the replies though, got me to discuss with my therapist, and it looks quite promising.

Formerly Adam A Gedman (AKA - A damAGed man)

But you can call me Kevin

Toronto Mini WoR - May 2014

#447662 - 09/19/13 04:56 PM Re: Compensation [Re: Adam A Gedman]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
great news, adam.
glad to hear it.
although it will never truly compensate, get what you can.

War
Love
Poetry

#461591 - 02/26/14 09:08 PM Re: Compensation [Re: Adam A Gedman]
pete1973 Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Adam, I am in the process of applying as well and was granted interim funding for therapy which has made a huge impact on my healing. It is a long journey and I still feel like a victim but I know some day I will be able to say I am a survivor and no longer a victim with the help of my counselor and therapist. Good luck and my advise is to be as open and honest with the board as you can, it may be difficult but the more they are able to understand about the impact it has had on you the better the chance of them helping you out. I personally have committed to not keeping any more secrets, my therapist and counselor and helping me to understand and differentiate privacy versus secrets and support my decision to not keep secrets but at the same time have made me understand and accept that I deserve some privacy as well and I don't have to be ashamed anymore about what happened which I constantly have to tell myself and some day I will truly and completely believe it.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.