Newest Members
BusterJones, Desperateforhelp, aniceguy, Green_Lantern, Safe11ride
12121 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
corvairman1 (43), marianne (44), son (35), speedy (31)
Who's Online
8 registered (atari_kid86, JayBro, focusedbody, 3 invisible), 68 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12121 Members
73 Forums
62527 Topics
438166 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#445362 - 08/24/13 04:57 PM Mother of an Adult Survivor
indygal Offline

well am trying to post but can't seem to narrow this down very well.

would be nice to know if there are any other parents of adult survivors out there?

basically he's angry at me (always) and virtually every action he exhibits screams to me "survivor mode" and I want SO bad to tell him, explain to him, this is why but I honestly don't think he's confronted this aspect of his life.

In other words, I'm not at all sure he knows he's a survivor.

I did mention something to him once, a short time before he disappeared but I don't know if he remembers or not, and it has occurred to me since (see my re-intro post) there very well could have been other times, possibly other abusers which I never knew about.

We've yet to meet face to face; he can't bring himself to do so yet - for whatever reason. When he first re-initiated contact I was going to wait until we met to explain things to him but now it's been a couple of months and things are very very hard. I'm wondering if it would be better to do so on the phone and get it over with as he seems quite distraught and stressed.

He actually seems afraid to see me, which of course, is heartwrenching.

I don't know what to do. I'm his mom, and I want to help him, and I don't know what to do....

*addendum* I've brought up having us see a family counselor to facilitate matters, all to no avail. I do know he's had counseling in the past, but know nothing further.

Edited by indygal (08/24/13 04:59 PM)

#446603 - 09/07/13 12:39 AM Re: Mother of an Adult Survivor [Re: indygal]
indygal Offline

so what? new territory? something I wrote? someone? anyone?

#446647 - 09/07/13 11:08 PM Re: Mother of an Adult Survivor [Re: indygal]
Adam A Gedman Offline

Loc: Canada
Indygal

I'm sorry that I don't have much to offer.
The anger you describe is remenisant of my own, in the not too distant path.
It is also similar to the anger displayed by my own son, while in the depths of depression, unrelated to CSA or SA at all.
I'm not really in any position to diagnose anyone.
If it did occur, he will only pursue help when he's ready, and not before.
This is true of me, and I would guess every other survivor.

All you can offer is your love and support, and to allow him time to figure it out.

I hope someone else in the f&f area can throw out a little experience as well.

I am sorry you going through this, and feel so helpless. It is a feeling my wife have both felt in relation to our son.

Keep well.

Formerly Adam A Gedman (AKA - A damAGed man)

But you can call me Kevin

#446800 - 09/10/13 08:54 AM Re: Mother of an Adult Survivor [Re: indygal]
sugarbaby Offline

I watched my H be angry at his mother for many years. It was a while into therapy before he could shift that anger. Basically, she took the brunt of his feeling about the perp.

I don't know the psychology behind it but it is better now.

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.