Newest Members
ratherbfishing, NeverAgainSB, It Just Is, HealingHope, StormyWeather
12804 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cja (50), crackerjack (56), nursemanda25 (34)
Who's Online
4 registered (Mark954, Jwmcd2, 2 invisible), 6 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12804 Members
75 Forums
66042 Topics
461715 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#333248 - 06/08/10 06:47 AM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: pufferfish]
Lenz Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Lenz is a troubled German playwright, a contemporary of Goethe, who heard voices, and wrote on little pieces of paper that he kept in stacks. Georg Buchner wrote a "prose fragment" about this afflicted playwright, detailing, in first person, Lenz's schizoid journey into a small village where he sought to be treated by a Pastor Oberlin.

Pastor Oberlin heard the voice of God. Lenz found this very natural as he heard the voices of children, and other unknown forces. The two men had an agreeable friendship, and saw many things in common, but ultimately the pastor could not help Lenz. After he had some trouble trying to resurrect a young girl who had died in a neighboring village, Lenz was bound by ropes and brought back to Berlin in a carriage.

Pais,
Travis

Edited by Lenz (06/08/10 07:04 AM)

#333333 - 06/08/10 11:56 PM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: nevragan]
Mountainous Buck Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Minnesota
I adopted mine going a weekend intensive caled New WArrior Training Adventure. It speaks to the deepest parts of who I am and where I've been.

It doesn't matter where you've come from,
It matters where you go" Frank Turner

#333339 - 06/09/10 02:10 AM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: Lenz]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Lenz
Lenz is a troubled German playwright,... heard voices, and wrote on little pieces of paper that he kept in stacks. Georg Buchner wrote a "prose fragment" about this afflicted playwright, detailing, in first person, Lenz's schizoid journey into a small village where he sought to be treated by a Pastor Oberlin.

Pastor Oberlin heard the voice of God. Lenz found this very natural as he heard the voices of children, and other unknown forces.

The de>

#333542 - 06/12/10 05:53 AM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: nevragan]
pandora Offline

At the time, all I could think of is I've opened "Pandora's box" since it was totally locked until the truth was uncovered. I had to "tell" my husband what had happened. He had totally blocked it out. Mind shock. We're working our way thru it, since the truth has been uncovered. I was surprised no one else had claimed the name.

Wow.

#333544 - 06/12/10 07:10 AM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: pandora]
TheBobcatAgain Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: AZ, U.S.A.
It's funny - no one has ever asked me why my user name is "TheBobcatAgain". Everyone just calls me Bobcat, or a nickname - I have a myriad of nicknames, including Kitty, TBA, BC, Catman, Mr. Bobcat, Stumpie (because bobcats have stumps for tails), and many more, including a few that I would be a little embarrassed to post here. lol

Anyway, I hung out with a group of teaching assistants in college, and I was very close with them. I told them once that I had gone by the nickname of The Bobcat in my earlier days, and they quickly adopted it. "Bobcat" was so much a part of me, I would be bewildered if someone referred to me as Bob or Robert. So, when the teaching assistants abandoned me, I vowed that I would never make friends again. "Bobcat" died on that day.

When I discovered this site, I only wanted to participate in a WoR, so I didn't register right away. But as I leafed through a few posts, I came to like some of the guys whose posts I had read, even though I'd never met them. Their feelings of brotherhood were very evident, and part of me still longed for the chance to be really close to guys who could understand me.

So when I submitted a user name, I decided I would give being "Bobcat" one more try, to see if I could resurrect that caring and playful feline persona I once knew. Hence, I became, "The Bobcat"...Again.

#333953 - 06/17/10 11:32 AM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: TheBobcatAgain]
dark empathy Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: durham, north england
Wow bobcat, that's really an amazin story.

I'm afraid my own name is not nearly so interesting.

Back when I was 18, I was writing a fan novelization of a game to appear on a friends' website. I had this rather odd idea that putting out even your first name on the www was not a good thing, so called myself after the main character of a story I was writing at the time about an assassin in a post apocalyptic world called Dark.

I actually quite liked him as a character, he was very small, threw knives, was sarcastic and at the same time quite insicure. In fact, about the only astounding thing in the story was the idea that the older dark would interject with comments on his younger self's doings, ---- usually with a lot of bitterness and sarcasm.

So, for a long while on the web I was dark.

Then, of course I found online games and forums where the name was already taken, so dark needed a last name for which I chose my favourite character traite, ---- that of empathy.

I've actually been dark so long online it's very much like a second name to me, the name I do my work for making computer games acessible under, in fact I've even had people I've talked to on skype who refer to me as dark.

Coming here though, I've actually gone through a miner reversal, sinse after a while I wanted people to be closer to me even than using my alternative name, ---- dark, close as that name is to mine.

Which is why i often sign my posts with my actual name, ---- Luke.

#349892 - 01/06/11 06:10 AM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: WalkingSouth]
une.vie.d.espoir Offline

Loc: Quebec-Canada
Strange as I took my nickname. I was 7 0r 8 years old at school, friends were fighting a bit. One of them, I still remember is name Marcel said thanks for helping me out and he said I had lost of "espoir". Growing up friends wen I talk whit them wen they were sad or upset or bad I use to try to share " espoir". I still do in my own way.

So here guys,

Une vie d'espoir means Life of hope

Love you all

Jean-Pierre

#349924 - 01/06/11 02:54 PM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: une.vie.d.espoir]
sugarbaby Offline

I used to make a lot of money and my H's friends/co-workers would ask him "where can I get a sugarbaby like that?"

#349981 - 01/06/11 10:29 PM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: sugarbaby]
TwoStep Offline

Great thread. So many interesting stories, so much thoughtfulness.

Me, I am a big city Yankee who found everything she didn't know she wanted and needed in small town Southwest about 6 years ago. If you would've told me 7 years ago that two-steppin' on a Friday night would be my idea of a good time...

Country dancing represents my joy at finding the life I want to have, better late than never...and finding the love of my life. Thus...TwoStep.

Now, put a couple of beers in me and I even start to twang. wink

#350243 - 01/10/11 06:11 AM Re: The meanings of our "pen names" [Re: Brokenhearted]
goodbyehorses Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern California
Horses is a metaphor for your 5 senses, like "Hold your Horses". "Goodbye Horses" was a song written in the 80's. I first heard the song during a very painful time in my life and pictured myself flying over a field of horses and leaving behind the pain of the world. Today it signifies leaving behind my old life, for a life of recovery, letting go of the pain in my mind, and coming to an enlightened state of serenity.

Page 6 of 12 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.