Newest Members
Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843, The Abyss
12364 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Bear (42), BoyNoMore (56), Daniel_05 (40), James Landrith (44), john kay (41)
Who's Online
4 registered (lapchinj, 3 invisible), 17 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12364 Members
74 Forums
63546 Topics
443993 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#44675 - 05/10/05 07:56 PM Re: stuffed animals
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Stuck between water, air, and ...
Hey look whos here

http://malesurvivor.org/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=38;t=000566

Yeah, I got three bears, and a stuffed terrier,

shame,

ste

#44676 - 05/10/05 08:05 PM Re: stuffed animals
healing_inside Offline
MaleSurvivor

Kev,

My sis gave me a an oversized teddy bear (not real huge though). I fall asleep each night holding it in my arms. I also take with me when I go on trips.

You are not alone.

-Jim

*** WoR Retreat Alumni - Alta 2005 ***

#44677 - 05/10/05 08:06 PM Re: stuffed animals
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
i got a bear i bought a few years back -
he is great -

\:\)

a 2 dollar bear form Ikea - n he i just super -

M

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

#44678 - 05/11/05 04:40 AM Re: stuffed animals
ShyBear Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The American South
I have a bunch of teddy bears and sometimes when all the shit in my head gets to be too much, I'll curl up with my favorite one and just cry.

If the little boy inside this big ole shy bear likes to have his teddy sometimes, that's ok.

And I'm 49 years old. \:\)

#44679 - 05/11/05 05:12 AM Re: stuffed animals
ScottyTodd Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Pennsylvania
Kev and the "Stuffed Animal Lovers" - I learned from another therapist a long time ago the value of stuffed animals. I have two. #1 is a cuddly, soft rabit who rides in the car with me everywhere I go. #2 is a giant, very soft stuffed Teddy Bear (sitting: two and a half feet high). #2 resides in my ofice and I share him with my kids and teens...and yeah! even my teen guys!!
Glad for those who know the value of these cuddly little treasures!!

Howard

#44680 - 05/11/05 09:50 AM Re: stuffed animals
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Carlisle, PA
Guess what mine are! Yep...a Roadrunner and a Coyote \:\) .

I'm 55 years old Kev and I say these things are definitely okay!! You hang on to that Snoopy.

Larry

This land was made for you and me.
(Woody Guthrie)

#44681 - 05/11/05 02:59 PM Re: stuffed animals
TJ jeff Offline

MaleSurvivor

Loc: Northern Wisconsin
Hi Kev,

Yeah, stuffed animals can have a important place in our lives well into adulthood and that should be perfectly fine and should not be laughed at by anyone... (my 88 y/o grandmother still has a couple of stuffed animals on her bed and I deffinately consider her a 'grown up') - I still got a stuffed bear that I've had since I was 4 (Ted)(yeah, I kno - mighty original - but hey!, I was 4 when I named him) - that bear is absolutely priceless to me!!! - that bear was there all of the years that I was going through the abuse - that bear knows every last one of my deepest secrets - that bear has been there through every one of my tears - I no longer sleep with that bear (he's got a bit ragged over the years and I could'nt bear the thought of him fallin appart on me) but he sits on a shelf near the bed where he can still watch over me while I sleep and he still helps me to feel safe - he has a brother bear (love that movie!) that I now sleep with sometimes when I'm hurtin inside (Harry - named after Harry Potter)

Never let anyone make you feel like less of a man cause you still got stuffed animals - it just means that you got feelins (a good heart) and that they are unfeeling/uncareing (no heart) - as I see it the uncareing ones are the ones with the problem! - this world would be a much better place to live in if more people cared more for those around them...

TJ jeff

Abuse happens in silence/isolation - Recovery happens only when that silence/isolation is broken...

TJ's History

#44682 - 05/13/05 03:35 PM Re: stuffed animals
Malidin41 Offline

Loc: Utah
Hey Kev,

I have an orange orangitane that I have had since I was a kid along with a small troll that what do you know I call troll lol, and a small garilla I keep on my bed at all times. I love stuffed animals and I think that they can be a great help in recovery. I believe that they help tramendously in getting in touch with your inner child and comforting that part of yourself. Thats great that you like stuufed animals.

#44683 - 05/14/05 03:44 AM Re: stuffed animals
Redsongbird Offline
MaleSurvivor

Yup, I have them too! A Winnie the Pooh, a lion, and just this week a 2 foot high stuffed BATMAN!!!!!

Tobey 8-=)

#44684 - 05/14/05 05:49 AM Re: stuffed animals
demonboi Offline

Loc: East Coast

Every hour, cause it's all good
Leave all the stress from the world outside
Every wrong done will be alright
Nothin but peace, love
And street passion, every ghetto needs a thug mansion

#44685 - 05/14/05 07:58 AM Re: stuffed animals
ak Offline
MaleSurvivor

I have stuffed cow that a very nice person give to me, because my sisters still call me 'cow'. One of people who live with me, he often steals cow and hides it from me. I am thinking of getting him one for hiself, so he do not have to steal mine always.

Andrei

#44686 - 05/14/05 11:45 PM Re: stuffed animals
Kenn Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Hi Kev,

I have had a medium-sized bear for about 20 years. He's been through a lot with me and I nearly always sleep with him. Over the years I have been given a larger bear, big enough to hug, and I bought a small one with bandages sewn on it when I was in the hospital two years ago.

During a recent series of support group meetings I sat beside a near life-sized bear. Alas, he found a home a few weeks before the group ended.

Peace,
Kenn

William Shakespeare, Hamlet

#44687 - 05/15/05 12:54 AM Re: stuffed animals
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I had a doggie bear, and he knew my every thought about my childhood, but he was taken off me when I was a kid and thrown in the canal.
That was a real big hurt in my child life, to be parted with that stuffed animal.
I still miss him so much because he was so much part of me, so a bear you go through clildhood is worth more than anyone can ever wish for.
I wish i had him back,

ste

#44688 - 05/15/05 04:48 AM Re: stuffed animals
demonboi Offline

Loc: East Coast
I'm sorry about your bear being thrown away. \:\(

I got a tigger today, my sis bought it for me. She called it a doll and I said it was a sleeping companion. \:D

Every hour, cause it's all good
Leave all the stress from the world outside
Every wrong done will be alright
Nothin but peace, love
And street passion, every ghetto needs a thug mansion

#44689 - 05/15/05 12:58 PM Re: stuffed animals
Charlie Offline
MaleSurvivor

All my stuffed animals from when I was little got thrown out but when I was in hospital before christmas the nurses gave me a stuffed toy frog. He had long arms and legs and I could wrap him around me when I needed a hug. I couldn't bring him home 'cause he got ruined but a couple months ago I got a new frog. He's smaller than the other one but he makes me feel safe and he's next to me in bed every night.

#44690 - 05/17/05 08:32 AM Re: stuffed animals
Whicker Offline

Loc: Pastures of Oregon
Glaukos,

I used to have a stuffed tiger, Named 'Tigger'. He was from the old 'Sambos' restaurant, and I kept him as a child for 18 years.
I lost him when I moved from S. CA to N.CA, and miss him to this day.
I spoke many secrets to him, and cried/laughed with him in my arms for many years.
He was missing an eye, and his nose, but I never faulted him for that.

*Warm Nuzzles*

Whicker

#44691 - 05/18/05 03:56 PM Re: stuffed animals
rom2057 Offline

Once again, Kev, a thread you start is just what I need! Thanks to all of you and your stuffed animals. A very vivid memory I have is of a photo of me as a kid in diapers astraddle my stuffed panda --- the happiest face I have seen on a kid. It was 2 years before that face changed forever. I wish I still had my panda. We had good times together. We also played with my ragdoll with the yellow hair and green courderoy overalls, even after he lost an eye.
A friend gave me a little stuffed lamb last year, but I gave him to a kid who needed him. Maybe it is time to get one for myslef again.

jim

#44692 - 05/18/05 04:19 PM Re: stuffed animals
Curtis St. John Offline
Past President
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Westchester, N.Y.
Good 'ol Mike Church once pointed out that the best thing about stuffed animals is that they never close their eyes so they can keep an eye out while we sleep.

I would also hope that anyone who attended the Paris Level I Weekend of Recovery remembers Snackers. ;\)

#44693 - 11/26/05 12:23 PM Re: stuffed animals
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Yesterday a great friend of mine here PMed me and asked me do I really have stuffed animals. Answer: ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!! \:\)

I remembered this thread and thought I would pop it to the surface for the benefit of the newer guys.

Since May I have added to my collection. Here in the USA my Mom has given me a big stuffed dog and her puppy. Very cuddly and Little Larry loves them! Since I have been in the USA on this trip I have only had one flashback, and that was when I was upstairs for a nap, I was alone, it was quiet (deadly combination for flashbacks for me), and I had no stuffed or real dog with me. Won't do that again!

Much love,
Larry

(edited for typos)

(Woody Guthrie)

#44694 - 11/26/05 01:22 PM Re: stuffed animals
borderline Offline

Loc: Total Perspective Vortex
I keep a stuffed kitty with a witch hat on the dashboard of my car. Whenever I have a really bad day at work, have to go work at the hospital (Always stresses me out), I just run out to the car, and go for a short drive. Everytime I look down at the cat, I smile. My mom bought it for me years ago, as a Halloween thing, but it's been around me ever since.

#44695 - 11/26/05 03:31 PM Re: stuffed animals
Bobby Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Arizona
Kev, It was a stuffed bear at a recovery week end that caused my first "break through" in my healing. We had been given a break and I walked back up to the main room. Teddy bears had been left around the room and I had seen other guys holding them...didn't have the courage to hold one myself. Only one guy was around and he wasn't looking, so I picked one up just to see what it felt like. I picked up the one that looked the softest and most cuddly. Immediately something changed inside of me. I went over to the side of the room and literally collapsed on a mat and cried my eyes out clutching the bear to my chest. It was the first time I had ever allowed myself to really cry about my abuse,and put me in touch with a hurt little boy I had never known. I'll never forget that bear....ever.

Bobby

#44696 - 11/26/05 05:45 PM Re: stuffed animals
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Bobby, Tears here while reading about you holding the bear. Thank-you for sharing that.

Roadrunner--Thanks from me for digging up this thread. It helped a lot just to sit here and read the posts. Did anybody ever tell you what a great person you are?

I am going to have me a bear before this day is out!

Love you all,

John

#44697 - 11/26/05 06:24 PM Re: stuffed animals
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

John,

GET THAT BEAR!!!! ;\) I am still thinking of a name for my new stuffed dog.

Much love,
Larry

(I HATE those typos - I always make the worst ones possible... )

(Woody Guthrie)

#44698 - 11/27/05 04:56 AM Re: stuffed animals
Derdlecar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ogden Utah, USA
Kev, and any body else who cares

I have stuffed animals, lots of'em. My favorite three are the bright orange orangutan, a big brown monkey with a long tail and a gray donkey. I take them camping with me and hang them in trees even the donkey. Even if donkeys can't climb trees, he can when he is with his friends the monkey and the orangutan. He has good friends. People ask me why the donkey is in the tree. I give some lame excuse. I don't tell them the real reason. In fact this is the first time I have told anyone.

You see Kev, I am that donkey and I can do anything when I have the right friends. Every one here is that kind of friend and I am learning that for me God can be that kind of a friend also.

Hang in there

Darrel

#44699 - 11/27/05 07:52 AM Re: stuffed animals
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

OK now, guys. I got me a bear. Well, I got me a Lion. He's soft and cuddly and I've named him Tut.

I looked up the meaning on a baby names website. It says it means "Strong, Courageous". Well, those traits are the kind of traits I have as goals in my life. I imagine there is some of that there. I wish there was more. I have chosen Tut to represent those traits to me.

Silly? Perhaps, but meaningful as well.

I am going to post a picture of him in the Images forum, just cause I want to. I think he's really cool looking.

Silly? Perhaps, but fun. \:\)

Thanks guys for sharing your stuffed animals with us.

John

#44700 - 11/27/05 04:11 PM Re: stuffed animals
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

John,

Silly? No way bro. Things that bring us comfort in times of pain and hurt are never silly. When we reach out for comfort like that all we are doing is acknowledging our humanity and reclaiming our right to our vulnerability and feelings.

Fun? Absolutely! I'm still trying to think of a name for my new stuffed dog, and I'm having a ball.

I love the photo of Tut!!! What a cool fuzzy friend!

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#159423 - 06/01/07 10:14 PM Re: stuffed animals [Re: Redsongbird]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Alexander,

There is indeed a thread on the members side about stuffed animals, but you might like looking at this one as well.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#159452 - 06/02/07 02:49 AM Re: stuffed animals [Re: roadrunner]
Dewey2k Offline
MaleSurvivor

My avatar is a picture of my bear. I named him "Little D". He's been there for me since I got him. He needs a bath, though... too many tears matted his fur.

Edited by Dewey2k (06/02/07 01:05 PM)

#159454 - 06/02/07 03:25 AM Re: stuffed animals [Re: Dewey2k]
mack Offline

Loc: new mexico
I'm so glad I found this thread. I makes me feel so much better to know I'm not the only one.
You guys may not know this, but I am notorious for picking up things that others have thrown out. Consequently, I have boxes and bags full of stuffed animals. Originaly, the plan was to sell them at the flea market. But you know what? I cannot bear to let them go. I'm thinking seriously about taking them with me to the WOR in Utah. I'll just pile them in the car with me and away we'll go. ( I will share )
My favorites though are the monkeys that my roomie gave me. I love monkeys and she always gives me one when I'm really down. The best is the one that screeches and shakes his arms and legs.
I have a giant purple monkey that sits on my bookshelf and watches me while I sleep. Sometimes he gets to sleep with me and its such a comfort.
Stuffed Animals Rule!!!

#159458 - 06/02/07 10:41 AM Re: stuffed animals [Re: mack]
buzz_key Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Amen! mack...i got my "Buzzy Bear" about a month and a half ago.
I sleep holding him every night. He IS my tangible link to Buzzy. I love him and he comforts me greatly.

I will be taking him with me to the Mike Lew retreat in PA in August.

#159491 - 06/02/07 04:44 PM Re: stuffed animals [Re: mack]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Mack,

Absolutely! Take them with you to the WoR! The facilitators bring some, but it won't hurt to have a few more of them around. I took two of mine to the Four Springs retreat in March. Dwayne had Little D there, and my brother, Darrel had his stuffed monkey. Other guys had bears and I noticed some of the guys holding the bears that the facilitator brought.

Lots of love,

John

#159493 - 06/02/07 04:56 PM Re: stuffed animals [Re: WalkingSouth]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Msck and Buzz,

It just goes to show: there's no outgrowing a guy's affection for stuffed animals. There's just something so safe and reassuring about them, whatever your age. My son is 23 and his stuffed dog still has a place of honor in his room.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#159498 - 06/02/07 05:32 PM Re: stuffed animals [Re: roadrunner]
reality2k4 Offline
MaleSurvivor

I ask you guys to read all of this thread from the start, it was started by a remarkable young guy in here.
If you do read it, you will be surprised at just how nuch stuffed animals played a big part in your lives.

Young guys taught me just how much I could love a stuffed bear who I could just take out my troubles on, and he would take it, the same with real animals.

Ive got loads of them, and would not part with any of them, no way,

ste

#159536 - 06/02/07 08:28 PM Re: stuffed animals [Re: reality2k4]
sabata Offline
MaleSurvivor

no stuffed animals.or sorts.........no so called friends....in real life....no pets......just me

#159542 - 06/02/07 08:47 PM Re: stuffed animals [Re: sabata]
Stefan012 Offline

Loc: The Netherlands

lol

Stefan

No they can't take them away, so they won't

#159566 - 06/03/07 02:38 AM Re: stuffed animals [Re: Stefan012]
roadrunner Offline
Administrator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Stefan,

A very cool pic, as it were, and a VERY cool sense of humor! That gets me off to a good start this morning. Thanks for posting this one.

Much love,
Larry

(Woody Guthrie)

#159598 - 06/03/07 09:51 AM Re: stuffed animals [Re: roadrunner]
markgreyblue Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Pasadena, CA
nice

"...the sign of a true leader is service..." - anonymous

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.