Newest Members
rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms, Anony_mous, Drew6991x
12367 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
rpalm06 (46)
Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12367 Members
74 Forums
63556 Topics
444033 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#446220 - 09/02/13 10:57 AM SAM: Sexual Abuse of Males
Ever Onwards Offline

Loc: Northwest Territories, Canada

Sexual Abuse of Males: The SAM Model of Theory and Practice

Hello, I'm new to the forum and was hoping someone here might have this book or might have worked with it at least. From the description I felt as though it was the best choice because it seems to have a very indepth analyzation of the mind of the victim, the contributing factors from everything and everyone around him. So it might be technical with the psychological and perhaps even chemical (as in mental disorders) states of the victim in relation to the abuse and reaction (in the situations where the victim does divulge). Nutshell: it looks like it can help me figure out where my crazies come from?

But here's question: while it may, once I read it and get to understand its terminology, show me where many of my emotions and triggers come from; do you know if it has exercises, sets of questions, practices or suggestions for the survivor to do in efforts to work out the feelings of vulnerability, paranoia,
anger, etc...?

Please if someone could help me on this I would greatly appreciate it as i have actually purchased this book and am expecting it to arrive by September 6th.

Edited by Ever Onwards (09/02/13 10:59 AM)

#446265 - 09/02/13 10:11 PM Re: SAM: Sexual Abuse of Males [Re: Ever Onwards]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
This is one of the most thoroughly researched books at the time and to my knowledge, remains the most heavily footnoted book on the subject. I was working in the sexual abuse field for over 35 years and considered it as a great reference book in my book, "Evicting the Perpetrator".

However, it is now dated and Josef Speigel is basically missing in action. Actually, he was not a part of the male survivor movement for conferences or doing anything to spread his knowledge. It was like he was a great light coming out of nowhere and beyond this book, did not do much professionally, as far as I know. (And I am or was pretty much on top of the literature, attending just about every conference from the early days of the movement until recently when I retired.)

His book was published in 2003 and is very thoroughly researched but does have a lot of good information. I don't know if the heavy research information will make it dated, unlike classics like Mike Lew's "Victims No Longer" which is long on practical information and things survivors can do for themselves and has little research on the literature which makes Spiegel's work more vulnerable to being dated.

Read it and get what you can from it. I think it does make a good case for a model but I don't know whether too many professionals use his model.

Ken Singer

#446276 - 09/02/13 11:28 PM Re: SAM: Sexual Abuse of Males [Re: Ever Onwards]
Ever Onwards Offline

Well I feel reassured knowing the level of research put into it along with the fact that it's the most heavily footnoted book in the field.... but I feel as though I still don't understand. I wanted to if there's exercises, questions, practices in the book for the victim to utilize.

Also, for that purpose what book would you recommend?

Edited by Ever Onwards (09/02/13 11:29 PM)

#446299 - 09/03/13 10:42 AM Re: SAM: Sexual Abuse of Males [Re: Ever Onwards]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
Speigel's book is good for an academic and theoretical understanding of male victimization- probably best for professionals working with survivors. Not intended for a do-it-yourself project.

Howard Fradkin's book is a series of exercises that you can undertake to develop some coping skills. His book is featured on the website (he's also the long-time coordinator of the Weekends of Recovery.

Also, books are not a substitute for therapy with a good, competent therapist unless you're fine tuning it.

#446385 - 09/03/13 10:55 PM Re: SAM: Sexual Abuse of Males [Re: Ever Onwards]
Ever Onwards Offline

okay well thank you for the info I will be checking howard out.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.