Newest Members
Barracuda312, Just Hanging, mossTI, E35, 1975
12339 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeneF48 (66), kun wang (32)
Who's Online
3 registered (I Want 2 Thrive, Doubter, 1 invisible), 25 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12339 Members
74 Forums
63435 Topics
443443 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#446207 - 09/02/13 09:34 AM Shawn Hornbeck Foundation shuts down
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York

http://m.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/s...bile_touch=true

A few thoughts on this:

-I understand how they would want to keep going during the crisis years when it seemed like the only thing they could do for their missing son. But as a day job, it could really get in the way of having a normal life. Working for "hope" foundations can be emotionally dangerous. I got involved with environmental work after reading a Douglas Adams book about endangered species. Since then, one of those animals (Chinese river dolphin) has been wiped out and I was devastated by the news - it was like seeing part of your dream turned UNTRUE. Now turn that from a dead dolphin into a few hundred kidnapped children, with no escaping the grief and misery of the parents. Every new day having to deal with someone else's horror, reawakening your own. Shawn and his parents deserve the chance to minimize this whole ordeal and refocus on normal life, not explicitly oriented around a kidnapping. Having gotten immediate therapy at a young age, Shawn is probably better off than some of us here.

-The foundation was already dissolved by the state of Missouri twice for failing to file tax documents. Their 2008 filings showed income of $21k and expenses of $25k... ouch. In general they had problems accounting for their funds.... I'm not sure why this is a surprise to anyone though. I assumed once Shawn was rescued that all funds would go towards his therapy. Several comments on the articles devoted to this news say as much: people knew they were donating to help Shawn and his parents, not for some kind of amateur McGruff in-school program. I see nothing wrong with it; his parents were bankrupted, spent all their savings and his college fund and lost their house. But if you can't keep up the juggling act, it's time to lower the curtain.

Matt

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#446266 - 09/02/13 10:13 PM Re: Shawn Hornbeck Foundation shuts down [Re: SoccerStar]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
Sheldon Kennedy's first attempt at a foundation for abused kids also fizzled. After that he got involved with other established organizations and is still speaking on the issue.

laugh And I met him and got him to autograph my copy of his book, at a Senate hearing in Washington DC! laugh

John

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.