Newest Members
FredM88, Vermona, Jas52, oliviaavaxj, biboy24
12109 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
-Matt- (39), kevin1963 (51), Northwoods (61), rcb0973 (58), sportinrucks (29)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 54 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12109 Members
73 Forums
62492 Topics
437996 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#445779 - 08/28/13 07:42 PM Niacin as an anxiety and depression therapy?
atari_kid86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Michigan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K2tqxKf2EE
http://www.doctoryourself.com/hoffer_niacin.html

I am kind of a health junkie and I have watched the documentary "Food Matters" several times. The gist of the movie is that processed food is bad and that we as humans have total control over our health by what we choose to eat. We choose to be healthy or sick.

There is a part of the movie in which there is a discussion of using supplements to treat things such as depression and anxiety. Basically, the treatment is high doses of niacin (b3)(2000-3000 mg per day).

Now, I've watched this movie several times. But I hadn't ever tried the niacin treatment on myself. But lately, I have been considering some kind of anti-depressant as a treatment option. I have a lot of skepticism pharmaceuticals (plus I don't want to have many of the common side effects associate with prescription depression meds), so I was trying a more holistic approach to treatment. My thought was, "hey, if this doesn't work, at least I know I tried it."

So I did.

I take 2000 mg a day (1000 with breakfast and another with dinner) along with my regular regular vitamins. The effects are incredible. In just a week, I have been more calm and more stable. I feel no side effects and it's cheap.

Above is a clip from the movie "Food Matters" that touches on niacin as a depression therapy. The link below it is an article that goes into more detail (and discusses niacin's use as a therapy for 30 members of AA in the 1960's).

I found this therapy to be helpful and thought it might make some of you curious about it too.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone here has any experience with niacin therapy or has even heard of it.

Edited by atari_kid86 (08/28/13 07:43 PM)

#445816 - 08/29/13 01:11 AM Re: Niacin as an anxiety and depression therapy? [Re: atari_kid86]
onlyakid Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New Jersey
I was taking Niacin 1000mg for to raise my good cholestrol. Didn't work for that and I certainly didn't feel any less anxious or depressed. Is 2000mg a day a magic number, I don't know?

"and i don't want the world to see me, cause i don't think that they'd understand"

"You don't know what love is...you just do as your told"

"My life has changed. What you take as a simple thing, is not so simple for me anymore"

#445831 - 08/29/13 05:27 AM Re: Niacin as an anxiety and depression therapy? [Re: atari_kid86]
atari_kid86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Michigan
Some of the reading about the therapy suggests that niacin needs to be taken with the other B vitamins to be most effective. The analogy used was that they work together "like a baseball team." Perhaps that could help it be more effective?

The woman that is referred to in the video was taking up to 11,500 mg a day. That's certainly a lot, but it had transformational results. However, the normal dose suggested for this treatment was between 3000-5000 mg a day. If I would ever feel the need to take more, I would up my does from 2000 mg.

Also, I take a no-flush variety. This keeps me from getting that warm, red skin that is common with niacin.

#452019 - 10/31/13 07:04 AM Re: Niacin as an anxiety and depression therapy? [Re: atari_kid86]
nomorevic Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina
Food Matters wink

#452225 - 11/02/13 10:46 AM Re: Niacin as an anxiety and depression therapy? [Re: atari_kid86]
JayBro Offline

Loc: Germany
I find just taking 500mg of Niacin makes me all red and itchy with nausea/stomach problems, even when I take it with food!

#452229 - 11/02/13 11:42 AM Re: Niacin as an anxiety and depression therapy? [Re: atari_kid86]
Still Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: 2 NATO Nations
Quote:
I have a lot of skepticism pharmaceuticals (plus I don't want to have many of the common side effects associate with prescription depression meds), so I was trying a more holistic approach to treatment.

There is no natural occurrence of niacin in that level of concentration, so I'd have a really hard time labeling this "holistic" or "natural."

Ethanol naturally occurs when sugary fruits break-down, but if you take concentrated doses of that, yer skunk as a drunk.

Still's Globs

New Video

#452239 - 11/02/13 01:30 PM Re: Niacin as an anxiety and depression therapy? [Re: Still]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
I took niacin for awhile at the height (or depth) of my depression.

Yes it will briefly make you feel flushed as it opens up your system. As a kid I felt flushed but in a different sense.

It should be taken with other vitamins.

Puffer

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.