Newest Members
DT, kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS
12257 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Blank (36), christx (41), Heartonfire (38), Nathan LaChine (31)
Who's Online
1 registered (truestory), 20 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
63124 Topics
441423 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#444663 - 08/19/13 04:30 AM I was so mucher str8r then I'm gayer than that now
1lifenow Offline

Loc: west coast
From bob Dylan "My back pages"

Half-wracked prejudice leaped forth
Ripped down all hate, I screamed
Lies that life is black and white
Spoke from my skull, I dreamed
Romantic facts of musketeers
Foundationed deep somehow
Ahh, but I was so much older then
I'm younger than that now

In a soldier's stance, I aimed my hand
At the mongrel dogs who teach
Fearing not that I'd become my enemy
In the instant that I preach
My existence led by confusion boats
Mutiny from stern to bow

Yes, my guard stood hard when abstract threats
Too noble to neglect
Deceived me into thinking
I had something to protect
Good and bad, I define these terms
Quite clear, no doubt somehow

Nietzsche was not the father of Nazism but he was an important figure to help understand how homos turn against themselves when he said " Whoever despises himself nonetheless respects himself as one who despises". Awakening of homosexual feelings regardless of what happened to us when younger, so often brings thoughts of shamefulness, depravity and sin. He was right to say organized religion had poisoned human sexuality by being profoundly repressive. Even for str8's there is no masturbation, sex outside marriage and even sex within marriage- a blow job is still considered sodomy and is still on the law books in many states. It is a cognitive and rational disconnect.

So for the gay boy/man growing up, there is a greater self repression cuz there is no way its going to be ok. For the survivor its even less ok cuz our sense of self and sexuality was so hijacked. When many of us older guys were coming to a sexual awakening, the vicious and obsessive homophobia that poisoned the culture of our schools, home and especially church gained the upper hand and no where more than in our own psyche. I was foundationed deep somehow!

Sadly many of us misdirected our well intentioned attempts to find security or affirmation and turned to really unhealthy acts - I anguish over my unspeakables. Some turned to religion for divine rescue only to find that gay thoughts, fantasies or certainly "acts" were not only sin, but would condemn you to eternal hellfire. Pascal's wager weighs so heavy on such a guilty heart, how can that boy ever feel OK? It is contemptible how we are treated by fundamentalism whether by the church, state or even the bloody Olympics. They need to be relegated to OUR BACK PAGES.

The only way we can help the young men who come after us is to be uncompromising in denouncing any fundamentalism that peddles such horrific contempt for lgbt people. To help us heal ourselves and at the same time those young men is to root out and turn that contempt we all held for ourselves for far too long and direct it towards the thought systems that ignorantly conspire to keep us as defective, not normal, immoral "others". My existence led by confusion boats
Mutiny from stern to bow.

Treating cruel beliefs with "respect" will only delay their demise and demean ourselves as silence equals collusion. This pseudo liberal dogma that all laws, or doctrines are beyond criticism, is intellectually dishonest and does nothing to protect and indeed promotes further suffering. If I was in the Olympics, I would be waving a rainbow flag and mugging for the camera as I failed to qualify for the finals.

We are lucky that we are a community that always strive to respect and have compassion for our brothers but we are under no obligation to respect false, cruel and bigoted beliefs, even if those beliefs derive from new legislation or an ancient book, culture or tradition. We have all been deceived into thinking it was something we had to protect!

I am grateful for so much but mostly those things that kept us down for so long are losing their grip. It's up to us to pry those fingers, however we can. I have noticed my closet going from brown and black to yellow and purple. I always thought I was a winter, turns out, I am a spring. I was so much str8r then I'm gayer than that now!

Edited by 1lifenow (08/19/13 04:37 AM)

WoR Barrie 2011

#444667 - 08/19/13 07:44 AM Re: I was so mucher str8r then I'm gayer than that now [Re: 1lifenow]
1.healing Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NW Ohio
It has been a long, hard road, my friend and we've many more miles to go, but the times they have changed and indeed the grip loosens.

Thanks for your insight and wisdom, thanks for stating and standing for ever greater equality and more freedom.

I'm gayer than that now, too! and grateful.

Gary / 1,healing

George Elliot

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life."

Virginia Woolf

#444791 - 08/20/13 12:59 PM Re: I was so mucher str8r then I'm gayer than that now [Re: 1lifenow]
1lifenow Offline

Loc: west coast
thanks gary

I came across this the very next day ironically from the director Lee Daniels. He said:

'Black men can't come out. Why? Because you simply can't do it,' Daniels says on Larry King Now. 'Your family says it. Your church says it. Your teachers say it. Your parents say it. Your friends say it. Your work says it.'

I guess its up to us to say it, the more we do, the less shocking, sensational and deviant it becomes. The more human, less variegated and just more real and regular it becomes. That's what I am trying to find the courage to do. I didn't come out to the boys I coached in school, I just showed them ironically that saying negative things about gays is no different than saying racist things.

here is the daniels interview on larry king

we cant accept being third class citizens. It starts with micheal Jackson's man in the mirror refrain. whooda thunk?

WoR Barrie 2011

#444874 - 08/20/13 10:30 PM Re: I was so mucher str8r then I'm gayer than that now [Re: 1lifenow]
1.healing Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NW Ohio

Thank you, too! There are important lessons in what you and Lee Daniels have said and do. Living as openly as possible and sharing our beliefs and experiences certainly chip away at the old and solid wall of prejudice and intolerance; until the small cracks appear first and then larger ones eventually bringing the whole damn thing falling down! (The wall metaphor is borrowed from another wise member here, thanks CloudyFalls)

Seems too that in your capacity as an educator and coach wouldn't permit you to be completely open about your life and that you should not feel badly about not sharing your orientation. It was more important that you were instructional with the boys you coached than in being out to them. I don't see it as an issue, others may, but you addressed them appropriately, that was enough.

You are a brave man and have courage, not to worry.

Gary / 1.healing

George Elliot

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life."

Virginia Woolf

#445724 - 08/28/13 01:25 PM Re: I was so mucher str8r then I'm gayer than that now [Re: 1lifenow]
bodyguard8367 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ""
""

Edited by bodyguard8367 (02/27/14 06:55 PM)

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.