Newest Members
Won'tGiveUp, sillyputty, Pytbull, manipulated, donmarks
12383 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Beluga (64), Isreal101 (65), Phil Sober (41), phil1973 (41), Teddy Bear (63)
Who's Online
2 registered (Won'tGiveUp, 1 invisible), 28 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12383 Members
74 Forums
63644 Topics
444480 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#445638 - 08/27/13 09:56 PM Letter to my Father *Triggers*
concerned_husky Offline
MaleSurvivor

*Triggers*

I'm debating whether or not to send this to my father. I probably won't. This was more to do with putting my thoughts onto paper (or screen...). He wasn't my abuser - my mother was - but I hold a lot of anger towards him as well for having been complacent and passive while the abuse was going on. There was a lot of emotional abuse that went with the physical/sexual abuse.

-----

Dear Dad,

I’m writing this for myself: not for you, nor your wife.

I’m addressing the sexual, physical and emotional abuse I suffered at the hands of your wife. It may even come as a surprise to you that I am labeling it as such, but this is what it is/was.

All these years, I’ve struggled, largely on my own to come to terms with my past. Hundreds and hundreds of hours spent immersed in psychology books and articles, trying to figure out why I had turned out the way I did. I did it all, hardly without any proper therapy, though I’ve been lucky enough to meet some wonderful men who have given me insight into this ordeal. It is now that I’m finally realizing that the aftereffects of the abuse will likely stay with me forever – I cannot erase them, but I can only learn to deal with them, day by day. I’m proud of how much I’ve progressed mentally and emotionally, despite the curse you have ridden me with.

You always rationalized your wife’s behavior as a mother’s love for her son, yet I fiercely contest this. A mother respects her son’s privacy. She respects his body, and his space. She respects his desires, wants, feelings and thoughts. In short, she HELPS him become an autonomous, individual, healthy man. A mother sleeping with her son is NOT normal. A mother fondling her son’s genitals is NOT normal. A mother joking about castrating men is NOT normal. A mother caressing and stroking her son is NOT normal. A mother waking her son up for school everyday by kissing and intimately cuddling him is NOT normal. A mother seducing her son is NOT normal. A mother using her son while he’s asleep for her own pleasure is NOT normal. A mother being naked around her son after showers is NOT normal. It is ALL abuse – intrusive, invasive, incestuous abuse. Plain and simple.

The sleeping, in particular, had adverse effects on me. For a long time, it destroyed me socially, left me isolated, and shattered with insecurity and over-self-consciousness. I am proud to say that I have risen above this, because now I have many who I can count on as friends. They give me much support, love, happiness and meaning in my life – all of which you deserve no credit for. It also destroyed my sexuality. It has left me massively overstimulated and constantly craving for physical affection. Somehow, I was born gifted enough to minimize its effects by suppressing it in my unconscious. You may refer to this as ‘splitting’, or a rupture in my ‘body ego’ – if you care for the proper psychological terms. However, in recent times, it manifested itself in the form of homosexual/sadomasochistic fantasies, on which I have at times acted out. In other words, I sacrificed a healthy sexuality by relegating all of my negative feelings (i.e. anger, rage, hatred, humiliation, desperate, entrapment, hopelessness, helplessness) into my long-gone, once-sacred imagination. I have engaged in acts with men, though at this point, I am confident enough to say, as someone else I know has put it, “I’m a fucked up straight man.” I have dated two women, and, as bad as the relationships were, I’m proud at having overcome my initial difficulties in being intimate with a woman.

Another thing – you left the responsibilities of her emotional well-being with me, which had disastrous consequences. At best, they were over-demanding and overwhelming, veiled under the mask of ‘overprotectiveness’. AT BEST. For a long time, I felt the responsibility, and I lived up to it. It’s drained me of my strengths. This can be really magnified when you take into account the fact that as a child, I was still UNPREPARED for all the onslaught – helpless and defenseless. I did not (and to a large extent, still do not) have the capacity to deal with the situation, mentally and emotionally. It is because of this, that now, I have to constantly build and rebuild my often crumbling ego. This responsibility for your wife’s emotional well-being came at the expense of my masculinity and MY life, though these are no longer things for which I will pay the price. I do not get gratification anymore from succumbing to the demands of your wife, and more subtly, yours. The message I got from your passiveness towards the whole situation was that I was to fulfill my mother’s demands. That is your destructive legacy.

Furthermore, your wife sees me simply as a narcissistic extension of herself. In other words, I exist merely as an object for her gratification. ‘Soul murder’ is a term that captures the phenomenon neatly. Your wife does not accept me as a separate identity; rather, she compromises/sabotages, no – DESTROYS – anything individual or unique about me. There have been countless instances when I was set to have a foothold on my own in this world, and your wife manipulated you into condoning her acts of sabotage. It feels as if sometimes I’m decomposing, though I’m often not aware of it. If I need to cut contact with you and your wife for the sake of having space for my independent thinking and actions, so be it.

Your wife’s behavior has also always been one in which she infantilized me – and this is something you never discouraged. She constantly insisted that she do things for me, robbing me of any chance to develop myself and learn to be self-reliant – whether it be cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, doing homework. On the surface, this may have seemed like ‘love’ to you, but really, what she did was cut my roots before I had a chance to grow. For a long time now, I’ve struggled with my identity as a man. I am 25 – if anything, my age should entitle me to be, and be called, a man – albeit a young man, at that. I constantly have to struggle with tendencies to regress to an age where I feel like a little boy.

You yourself, seem to compound the emasculation by infantilizing me. You merely ask me about trivial things, every time on the phone. In this, you mirror your wife, the puppet that you are. Did I do my laundry? Did I brush my teeth? Did I shower? I am struggling to make myself a career, yet this is all you care about. It is not so much the content of it, but the fact that you repeat this every single time like a broken tape-recorder at the expense of all the other things I would expect, as a son, to hear from a father. The effects are simply nauseating developmental and mental retardation. You address me as a boy, and not a man. In your subtle ways, you compound the destructive behavior of your wife emasculating me. I have feelings, thoughts, beliefs and values which, as a human being, deserve attention and respect – but this seems lost on you. I suspect a part of you feels relief in treating me as a boy – this way, it makes you less conscious of your own low self-esteem in light of the fact that your wife practically abandoned you for me. Perhaps this is your way of dealing with your feelings of lacking masculinity. Ironically, I want you to take responsibility for her – it is mine no longer.

One of the sadder things about this whole ordeal, is the fact that some part of me still feels compassion for your wife. You and I both know that she was abused as a child. But unfortunately, this does not justify her using me as an object so that she can feel her life is worthwhile. I cannot constantly feed her endless appetite for power and feelings of superiority. Her emotional well-being is your responsibility, as is the work that needs to be done in order to address her damage.

You always demand that I go back. I’m finding this more and more impossible, unless something in family dynamics change. I cannot function in your household – it is too much. If you cannot address me as an individual, autonomous man, then I have the right to withhold contact from you – you do not deserve my company. I want to feel whole, and comfortable in my own body. I need to grow and mature; I want to be separate, and lead my own life. I will not have it enmeshed in a mess that I did not create.

I believe it’s rather impossible for you to imagine the magnitude of energy it takes me to keep these effects at bay. How many things I have to do to escape reality in order to simply function and survive. You have often asked why I smoke, and why I gamble. Now you know the answer in full (I have already hinted at this several times, and on all of these occasions you simply brushed it aside as if it wasn’t important). Often times, I find myself at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of self-esteem – pathological, delusional grandiosity followed by the advent of truthful, realistic misery. It goes without say, many times I feel out of control, hindering my ability to focus and concentrate. Throughout most of the day, I feel as if I do not belong in my body; when I do, I feel disgusting, damaged and dirty.

One final thing – I am constantly craving for a strong, masculine figure I can look up to. Sadly, I’ve given up the notion that this may be you, father. You have failed me too many times, on important, pivotal occasions. It seems that the only way out of this, for me, is to become the man I needed, if anything, for my own sake.

So there you have it. The impact you, and your wife (who, for better or worse, also happens to be my mother) have had on my life so far, in a nutshell.

P.S. The reason I have not disclosed all of this to you thus far is because I fear your retaliation. I am still financially dependent on you – this is, perhaps, the only thing holding us together, the final straw. I do not expect you to change – I have given up on this already, as sad as that may be. I doubt it is good-bye, too. I am merely writing this to have a clear idea of where I stand with you, and your wife.

#445657 - 08/28/13 12:44 AM Re: Letter to my Father *Triggers* [Re: concerned_husky]
focusedbody Offline

Loc: NY
Husky:

Good stuff. Lots of clarity and something to chew on.

Originally Posted By: concerned_husky
you left the responsibilities of her emotional well-being with me, which had disastrous consequences. At best, they were over-demanding and overwhelming, veiled under the mask of ‘overprotectiveness’. AT BEST. For a long time, I felt the responsibility, and I lived up to it. It’s drained me of my strengths.

Having anyone at anytime put their emotional well-being completely in your hands is draining...pretty quickly.

Be careful to not confuse this experience with real strengths. You may find resources that are untapped and suppressed for fear of being misunderstood.

The message I got from your passiveness towards the whole situation was that I was to fulfill my mother’s demands.

Ironically, when our father is inconclusive about how to deal with Mom's demanding side, it can be very confusing. It's like a runaway train that only you can stop or slow down. Not fun.

Ultimately, your mother's emotional well-being has to be her own responsibility, not you or your father's. While damaged women often find a man to rescue them, at some point in time they must wrestle with their pain themselves.

It feels as if sometimes I’m decomposing, though I’m often not aware of it.

This is a familiar experience. I wonder if it is actually a growing awareness of the distorted self that is sometimes created out of the ongoing projections of others. Sometimes when I look in the mirror I feel I can watch the decomposition happen. It's a scary experience.

On the other hand, the more I have taken myself seriously and worked to have others do so, the decomposing nightmare loses its power. I would say I've even become curious about it now when it happens. It's like a voice is saying, "Gee, isn't that funny. Why would I be doing that now of all things?" It's almost like a kind of dissociative fugue of the sculptural kind. I try to take a step back and watch it happening, while learning from its existence as well.

Thanks for this. Keep it coming.

FB

#445684 - 08/28/13 08:56 AM Re: Letter to my Father *Triggers* [Re: concerned_husky]
newground Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: michigan
Husky man
Congratulations on putting this all down in words. I think that even if you don't send it it is likely to have a great impact on your health and healing. there may come a day when the anger has mellowed some that you can address these things with him and let him know your feelings. He was wrong plain and simple if he allowed these things to take place, and he should know of the effects it has had on you. But anger always clouds things,at least for me. so maybe give yourself time to work on things first. so that you are completely in control of the situation.
just my thoughts
Jeff
Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. let me then tow to pieces, while still chasing thee, thou damned whale! Thus, I give up the spear!"
Herman Melville

#445695 - 08/28/13 10:24 AM Re: Letter to my Father *Triggers* [Re: concerned_husky]
Adam A Gedman Offline

Loc: Canada
Husky,

I am so sorry you had to go through all that, in particular without the support of what one would normally expect to find from parents. Given that it was your mother who inflicted the damage, it is incomprehensible to me.

As A 47 yr old father of a 25 yr old son, I felt as if your letter were written to me. I feel that I was absent from my own son's life . I was present, but not present if that makes sense.
You express yourself so well, and your letter touched me, as I was thinking of how strong and smart you were/are (much the way I feel about my son), to have figured this out, more or less on your own, and at such a young age.
I am envious of the courage you display in your letter, and what appears to be the total grasp of your own plight. I feel that I can only hope to be where you are, someday in the future.

I would suggest your father is ill equipped to deal with such a letter, but this should not dissuade you from doing what's best for you.

Thanks you for sharing this.

Formerly Adam A Gedman (AKA - A damAGed man)

But you can call me Kevin

Toronto Mini WoR - May 2014

#445756 - 08/28/13 05:19 PM Re: Letter to my Father *Triggers* [Re: concerned_husky]
nomorevic Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: North Carolina
Wow, I am very sorry for all you have had to endure.
I wish I could express myself so eloquently and clearly!

Thank you for sharing your letter and I hope you continue to find peace.

#445803 - 08/28/13 11:41 PM . [Re: nomorevic]
JoeSmith Offline

Moderator:  ModTeam, Publius, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.