Newest Members
susanhepp, Breathe, georgetwo, frozen45, lilac
12291 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Guillermo (37), illbedat (26), Mike58 (56), Mnovit (38), Mongo (24), pwdasw (64), Raymond Sean (38), yesac76 (38)
Who's Online
8 registered (7 invisible), 30 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12291 Members
73 Forums
63232 Topics
442175 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#444773 - 08/20/13 09:21 AM Refreshing Spirituality
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
I read recently that a man who studied and taught martial arts was encouraged to study the Bible. He remarks that while the joy of what he was learning was growing inside him, he was never told he had to quit karate nor stop teaching it. Eventually he chose to give up that pursuit for a life of ministry.

I found that to be refreshing because the joy and comfort of the Scriptures encourages the life of peace without demanding it. Demanding a change of life is actually counter productive, isolating groups of interests. Our Heavenly Father allows pursuits in lifestyles while encouraging those who wish to a close, personal relationship with Him.

Many pursuits like the martial arts have physically beneficial effects for us, to be involved in these is not condemned nor should it be judged. We as spiritual persons are not the judges, we are the messengers.., the examples.., the "light" for those who are struggling, hurting and frustrated. This means we willingly and cheerfully submit to God's Will, leaving behind our negative traits, choosing instead to be generous, imitating our loving Heavenly Father.

How have you shined your spirituality today?

#444793 - 08/20/13 01:17 PM Re: Refreshing Spirituality [Re: SamV]
BuffaloCO Offline

Loc: USA
I took some martial arts stuff when I was in high school and liked it, want to get back when I can as I thought it was fun and good exercise. Try to imitate God but not sure I'm good at it yet. Seems like it takes practice and Im down for that. Still have to much of "this" to sort through it feels like, and I want this to end. My T told me it never ends, just becomes something I went through and does not define who I am. So am working toward that and rambling I guess. Will try to look for ways to shine.

#444798 - 08/20/13 02:05 PM Re: Refreshing Spirituality [Re: SamV]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
i am discovering something that surprises me.

as we travel around visiting friends and family that i have not seen in years - some only several years - some for many years - i thought that i had things of value to say to them, stories to tell, insights to share, experiences to recount, wisdom to impart.

but what i am discovering is that most people just need someone to talk to who will listen to them pour out their hearts. the TV is off and i am in the home with both ears open and eyes focused on their faces. and they talk and talk and talk.

sometimes i don't even have a chance to respond. but it is a blessing to them to have someone actively listen and care. no answers are needed. no advice is wanted. often no solutions are possible. just being there. with them.

and i am blessed by their trust.

lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#444968 - 08/21/13 06:07 PM Re: Refreshing Spirituality [Re: SamV]
concerned_husky Offline
MaleSurvivor

I saw that there was a full moon out tonight after dinner, so I went out of my way to have a stroll in the park. It was beautiful. I sat by the bank of a calm, serene like pond/lake, under some trees. I simply sat and watched, listened to music in my head, and let time pass. Gazed upon the lights in the park and the moonlight reflecting off the water. Listened to the crickets, ducks, and the whistling of the leaves. It was purifying - something I need to lift up my spirits.

#445054 - 08/22/13 01:02 AM Re: Refreshing Spirituality [Re: SamV]
nltsaved Offline

Loc: Kc,Mo
you are not alone never were
WRITTEN FORM
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=339159#Post339159
Why i hate Religion but love Jesus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY

#445174 - 08/22/13 09:47 PM Re: Refreshing Spirituality [Re: SamV]
victor-victim Offline

Loc: O Kanada
great video. nltsaved!

there is a difference between going to church and living in christ.

we are creatures within the creation.
to reject the creature or the creation is to reject the creator.

it is not enough to turn to jesus in a crisis.
the bible is more than just a panic room.
even though the word is a great sanctuary,
it is more than a security blanket.

the holy spirit can move in our life all day every day,
in everything that we do.

i try to see the face of god in every person i look at.

i try to thank god for every single experience,
whether i enjoyed it or not.

it ain't easy, but just the effort alone is rewarding.

War
Love
Poetry

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.