Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
blueelectron9 (48), Grunty1967b (2014), highflight (42), jocks44 (54), kitm1 (47), Porrick (44)
Who's Online
4 registered (VASurvivor, hike1972, 2 invisible), 15 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63417 Topics
443370 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 18 of 26 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25 26 >
Topic Options
#444513 - 08/16/13 07:09 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
Jay1946 Offline

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
Thanks for the suggestion DavO. I'm going to try it.

When I finish my run my body is warmed up, so it would make sense that it would be more amenable to stretching than before exercise. Specially when you do it early morning, immediately after getting up from bed.

#444561 - 08/17/13 04:01 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
Rest for me today- having three bottles of beer and some Oreo biscuits. It is a Saturday night so I thought i''d just chill, it has been a stressful week.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#444600 - 08/18/13 11:20 AM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

Still on track. Have gone for my run every day this week and am about to head out the door for another. Diet has been mostly on track and I made myself a crock-pot full of that habanero chicken chili this weekend which should last me until Monday. I will admit I allowed myself some ice cream last night and will probably snack on a few less than healthy things this afternoon. Got a bag of Fritos to rip into later, for example. Should go pretty well with the chili. And, as is the case with every weekend, I've got a lot of beer to drink but that's just a given for me. Peace,

Ken

#444602 - 08/18/13 12:10 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

One lady I do some work with wants me to do a sponsored run, just me and her, she wants to get fit, she is married so it isn't like that, but i'm tempted to have a go at the run! It would be to raise money for our Beaver-Scouts.

You are doing really well Ken! I'm thinking of going for a jog in a minute.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#444612 - 08/18/13 05:30 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Exercise done today- I suppose to be increasing my reps tomorrow, but based on my performance today I doubt that will happen. I can still only just do the reps i'm currently doing.

I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong, I do have rest days so i'm not flogging a dead horse, I do eat meat, maybe i'm not doing enough, like enough sets to see improvement, maybe that is the problem. Any thoughts?

#444635 - 08/18/13 10:31 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
DavoSwim Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa, USA
KT,

Without a doubt, when you exercise you will see improvement. The improvement isn't linear, and progress doesn't always follow the schedule we'd like it to. There are a number of possible solutions
* Have you seen a breakthrough recently. If so you may be on a plateau. If not, keep at it, the improvement will happen.
* Generally, you only want to increase by about 10% per week. Therefore, you can either increase the reps by 10% or the weight by 10%, but not both. If you increase the number of reps one week, the next week, increase the number of reps.
* It's also necessary to increase power by increasing the rate at which you do your reps.
* About once a month, test yourself to see the maximum weight you can lift with one repetition. That should be your basis for determining the weight you lift and it should be about 40-50% of your 1-rep maximum
* You only need about 0.8 g of protein/kg body weight. If you are highly active, you may need to increase it by 10-20%, but that's about it. Other vitamins, like Zinc, magnesium, B12 are also very important.
* Also look at the amount you are sleeping. With heavy exercise you may need an extra hour of sleep per night.
* Relax and keep it in perspective. Stressing out over it is counterproductive.
Good luck

#444636 - 08/18/13 10:32 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
DavoSwim Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa, USA
I have to brag. 11.75 mile run tonight. If I had kept it up, I would have had a personal best in a half marathon. That's only because my half time sucks.

DavO

#444698 - 08/19/13 03:38 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

That's really good Davo, wish I was a good runner!

I'm so tired (like my legs feel weak trying to stand-up, been a long day) and stressed out today, but I do hope to do my exercise still, if I push myself and do it I am sure I will feel better for it.

#444700 - 08/19/13 03:53 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
txb Offline

Originally Posted By: king tut
Exercise done today- I suppose to be increasing my reps tomorrow, but based on my performance today I doubt that will happen. I can still only just do the reps i'm currently doing.

What exercise are you trying to increase reps on? If it's weights then just keep the same amount of reps and add more weight. There's this guy called Brett Stewart and he has a couple of books, 7 weeks to 50 pull ups, 7 weeks to 100 push ups and some other similar sounding ones. They're not really telling you anything you don't know, they just give you a plan where you are slowly increasing reps every week. I'm not sure what's so special about 7 weeks though. If you can get them from the library then they're worth a read, but you could easily make up a plan of your own.

I am back on track again. I really really hate doing the upright rows with the barbell tho, so I'm thinking I might switch them out for something else. They're obviously in the plan for a reason, but meh. I just want to add a minor brag which is not really much of a brag. Today I deadlifted 70kg, this just impressed me because it's more than my actual weight. (70kg is 154lbs for you lb people). It's really unimpressive considering this not-all-that-muscular guy I know can deadlift 200kg. If I keep doing this then I'll get to 200kg eventually. Going to be coaching hockey to little kids next week so maybe i'll get some extra exercise from that.

#444823 - 08/20/13 05:59 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

I'm trying to increase reps on all of my exercises including weights.

I've realised I am not using heavy enough weights at all. I am currently using 10kg dumbbells (per hand), but I am currently doing 20 reps, and I bet I could probably push out a little more in reps.

I've just put most of the weight onto one of my dumbbells- it will fit 17.5kg- now that is hard, I did 6reps and then stopped, but I bet I could do more. I bet I could do at least 8reps.

(this obviously means I can only use one dumbbell at a time, as now the other dumbbell weights a mere 2.5kg lol)

txb, I don't think I could ever lift 70kg!!!! that just seems crazy to me!

Page 18 of 26 < 1 2 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25 26 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.