Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
adam319 (46), Bellemaman (36), Bob G. (58), S D Witwicky (38)
Who's Online
6 registered (tbkkfile, Shyshark, Cthulhu, JayBro, focusedbody, 1 invisible), 35 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63224 Topics
442115 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#444549 - 08/17/13 01:35 PM Making Money/Tutoring
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I've realised I am lacking money- and have realised that in a year I will have considerably less money than I do now as I have more money going out than I have coming in.

So, i'm thinking ahead and thinking of ways to make money that will fit in with my schedule.

My best idea so far is tutoring. I have experience teaching (I briefly trained as a teacher, and I am doing a PhD in physics at the moment), but I know tutoring would be a huge undertaking as I have to re-familiarise myself with the curriculum and various exam boards. I'm thinking either maths or physics, maybe not both as I don't think I have time to learn everything for both. Either GCSE or AS/A-Level (so 14-16yr olds or 16-18yr olds).

As there are only certain weeks in the year that people would be looking for tutors I think i'd make about 300 in total out of this. But if I become good at it I could make more.

Has anybody had experience in tutoring?

Anybody know of any other ways to make money that could be done mostly on a weekend?

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#444556 - 08/17/13 03:15 PM Re: Making Money/Tutoring [Re: king tut]
DavoSwim Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa, USA
KT
When I was in college and grad school, I used to make extra money as a tutor. It was good money. One advantage is I could take on as many students as I had time for. There were definitely more students needing tutors than were available. As word of my strengths got around, I got more calls from students wanting help.

The end of the semester/term when final exams were looming was the busiest. The beginning of the semester was when demand was the lowest. The money was good, but I had to think of it as a supplement and not rely on it as a primary source of income, since the hours and hence, the money varied greatly month to month and I couldn't predict exactly how much I could make. I tried to work about 10 hours a week although at times I was tutoring 20 hours per week.

I went through the university to become a tutor, and so I had to take some seminars on rules and expectations they had for tutors. I also had to take a mandatory diversity training class and have a background check done. The plus was I then had a steady supply of students looking for tutors. The downside was that I had to pay taxes on my income. If I had just accepted cash, I could have avoided that.

Good luck. If you have other questions, feel free to ask

Dave

#444558 - 08/17/13 03:54 PM Re: Making Money/Tutoring [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

I was making money marking homework for university undergrads in my department. The problem with that was I generally had to mark during my daily hours in work, and that wasted so much of my research time. I was only paid for a certain number of hours marking and it actually took longer- so it wasn't good pay in that sense. There is also an option to be a demonstrator in labs- but again that basically takes up one of my research days in work, and my project is much bigger than the typical PhD student so I can't afford to spend daily research time doing teaching. Also I have to work to somebody elses timetable if I am doing marking in a university- with tutoring I have a say how much I take on and when.

I have considered a format of a homework club- Two community buildings are looking for somebody to set-up a homework/tutoring club in my area, but that would involve more work and paperwork that I am not willing to do at the moment (plus pulling in other tutors to make it work).

Instead I think tutoring where I go to the students house, which is what is often practiced here, is what I would do, going through a tutoring organisation, using my current CRBs or new ones. I'd mostly be looking for weekends or some afternoons. When I was training as a teacher I was getting loads of offers from people (like the parents of my scouts) for me to tutor their children, so I think there is definitely a demand around here.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#444559 - 08/17/13 03:57 PM Re: Making Money/Tutoring [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Dave, in your experience, did the kids come to you with specific questions or for just general help on the topic or the upcoming exams eg. going through past papers? or going through recent homeworks?

I understand most kids who have tutors have them because their parents push them into it and not because they actually want the help, is that true?

Did you ever have any difficulty switching between pupils who were using different exam boards?

#444562 - 08/17/13 04:06 PM Re: Making Money/Tutoring [Re: king tut]
DavoSwim Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa, USA
I tutored primarily in chemistry, because I was training to be a high school chem teacher. I was an upperclassmen, and the students I tutored were mostly freshmen in college. About 1/2 of them wanted help for upcoming exams. I'd have to explain subject matter to them. Most of them knew the basics and got hung up on one or more principle. I had copies of old exams so I could use those to guide the students. Most of the students were capable of learning the subject matter, but they needed more time than was spent in class in order to learn it. There were some that knew it, but lacked confidence and just needed reassurance. Some of course were really unprepared and so it was almost like teaching them the lesson for the first time. The other half of the students wanted help on homework assignments and had textbook problems they needed help with - chemical formulas, balancing equations, stoichiometry, etc.

The students were in different sections and so different professors stressed different things, but generally the questions were the same.

Dave

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.