I'm not a doctor so take this for what it's worth.
I have been afflicted by body pain in many forms for about as long as I can remember. It was suggested by a good friend of mine to read (I chose to listen, due to my ADD) a book by Dr. John Sarno. "The Mind Body Connection".
This book has been the single biggest pain reliever I have experienced. The Book is about TMS - Tension Myositis Sundrome. TMS is a condition, where the mind deprives certain muscles, tendons and ligaments of sufficient oxygen. Lack of oxygen in these tissues causes pain. Why does the mind do this? To distract us from painful emotions. Dr Sarno describes how repression of painful emotions causes the mind to find a way to distract us, pain. What better way to keep your attention away from painful emotions, than constant pain.
I won't go on, as I would suggest you read and digest the information before going under the knife.
Any surgery is dangerous, and what do you have to lose.
Many of my group of friends completely discount the premise, but as I described to them...
1. Would you agree that your mind controls every single aspect of how your body functions?
2. Would you agree that most of this happens without us being aware of it? (breathing, body temperature, the flow of blood etc)
3. Don't think so? Increase your heart rate, without physical activity or make your hair grow faster today.
4. If you have no conscious control over these examples, isn't it possible you don't have conscious control over others, many others?
5. Isn't it possible that your mind could be doing something that you are unaware of that could be causing you pain?
Enough pontificating, it worked for me and by study, Dr Sarno has a very high success rate.
I wish you luck, whichever way you choose to go.
I am not my name, or my history, or the contents of my mind, I am the awareness behind of all this.
Formerly Adam A Gedman (AKA - A damAGed man)
But you can call me Kevin