Newest Members
JohnWC, KKumar, J44, Anura, reynel5
12420 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
almostdonew/life (39), barelysurviving (45), bigbob20 (69), billyp (65), Shawv (70), TheTwoOfUs (43)
Who's Online
3 registered (Rich1967, 2 invisible), 32 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12420 Members
74 Forums
63776 Topics
445377 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#444105 - 08/12/13 01:01 PM Treatment center?
Tanis2105 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: SW Florida
I could really use some advice or thoughts on therapy. I have been seeing my T since January and 2x a week for the past 2 months and she is thinking I might benefit from a 30 day stay in a treatment center (she said that deals with csa etc). This was brought up today as something to look at and we havenít talked much about it yet and hopefully will Friday. I can see her concern as I have been slipping into old habits of drinking, cutting and to be honest becoming more of a recluse and depressed but who hasnít/didnít after trying to work through the secrets and pain. I have no job to worry about but still have health insurance, no family depending on me not that this should matter. What scares me is what will happen Ė can I deal with being locked away with strangers or just being locked in no chance of escape is it safe hell I just don't know. I know Iíve be doing risky behaviors but I not suicidal (not that I can see) just very mixed up and in pain. I want to move through this but Iím wondering if this is a good idea or an escape. Iím not sure I can drop my T who I trust and start all over again. I want help and need help to move on forward but is this the best/only way?

#444114 - 08/12/13 02:58 PM Re: Treatment center? [Re: Tanis2105]
Rich1967 Online   content
MaleSurvivor

Loc: PA
Kevin,

I read over some of your posts and it sounds like you've been working really hard and want to work really hard. Maybe you see the recovery that some here are enjoying and want to have some of that too. I wish I could give you something based on my past experience, but I have nothing. I do know that there was no part of my trying to get better that was easy. Actually, most of it sucked! The only thing that really motivated me was that I just couldn't take feeling so alone and afraid of myself and other men anymore so I pushed forward and keep pushing forward.

I gather from other posts that you trust your T. If she is recommending it then maybe it's a good thing. Do you have to stop seeing her?

I hope you are able to ask more questions so that you can feel comfortable making the decision. I also hope there are others here that have some first hand experience to share with you.

What I can give you is words of encouragement as a fellow survivor. I care about you as I'm sure others do that have read your posts. You seem like you have made progress with the help of your current T and hope she is able to point you in the right direction now.

"Me too" - I don't think I will ever get tired of saying or hearing these two words.

My Story:
http://www.malesurvivor.org/board/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=441625#Post441625

#444196 - 08/13/13 11:12 AM Re: Treatment center? [Re: Tanis2105]
Ken Singer, LCSW Offline
Moderator Emeritus
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Lambertville, NJ USA
I would discuss the possibility of going inpatient with your therapist. Has she referred other patients to this particular facility? Would any of them be willing to talk with you (by phone) about their experiences? Could you take a look at the place before deciding whether to go?

Remember, this is a voluntary situation. You can always leave.

#444226 - 08/13/13 05:57 PM Re: Treatment center? [Re: Tanis2105]
Tanis2105 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: SW Florida
I wish to thank you both very much for your replies. I will be speaking at length with my T this Friday about the inpatient treatment. Rich Iím not sure yet if I would have to stop seeing my T during this time, I hope I wonít have to (to be honest after 8 months Iím not sure if I would be able to start over with a new one.) Ken Thank you for the questions you brought up I will bring these to her and hopefully will receive more information. ďRemember, this is a voluntary situation. You can always leave.Ē I understand this (I think) but it still scares me so this will be a major part of the discussion as locked doors can be a big trigger with me. Once again thank you both for your help and Iíll try to update when I know more.
Kevin

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.