Newest Members
JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish, JPmc
12437 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carperson (26), Daryoush (59), Gary31 (48), Overburdened78 (33), scaredcrappie (29), ThomasO (63), Wornoutsoul (38), WRR (34), zakwilde005 (45)
Who's Online
1 registered (traveler), 19 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12437 Members
74 Forums
63846 Topics
445822 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#443153 - 08/03/13 02:50 PM Gall Stones via Biliary Colic
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
So, I went to the ER Tuesday afternoon because I was vomiting and in a great deal of pain. They put me through the tests and diagnosed me with biliary colic.

In reading up on the topic I was previously oblivious to, I am trying to get a doctor to test me with an ultrasound to determine if the stones are big enough to pass or if I need surgery.

The pain and nausea are still intense, if anyone has any suggestions or experience, I would be happy to discuss this.

Sam

#443228 - 08/04/13 01:50 PM Re: Gall Stones via Biliary Colic [Re: SamV]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
I am struggling with what to eat.., trying to eat food that will not irritate the stomach, but one of my coping mechanisms is binge eating with comfort foods. The result is sometimes eating what I am supposed to but sometimes well, I defer to comfort foods and pay the price. The next day the pain, bloating and discomfort come, blech!

Any help figuring out how to live with this is appreciated,
Sam

#444596 - 08/18/13 10:43 AM Re: Gall Stones via Biliary Colic [Re: SamV]
Jwmcd2 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Biliary colic is caused when (typically bile) a digestive secretion is suddenly not able to progress through the ducts that lead to the digestive tract. In plain English, bile is stuff that's used to dissolve fats and it can get sludgy and clog one of the small pipes in your digestive tract.

The number one thing for making the body produce bile is the need to digest fatty foods. So the absolute worst thing you could eat would be breaded and/or deep fried foods. Not saying you should cut out eating stuff as a treat once in a while, but be conscious that if you go to get fish or something, you can have a baked potato with a little butter and sour cream but not french fried and breaded catfish. this will cause your body to kick itself into digestive overtime and will ramp up the pain.

One of the best things to do is to also increase your dietary intake of fiber or roughage. in your situation, I'd try out some of the flavorless metamucil or any other kind of stir-in fibers. Fiber kind of acts like a sponge and will bind to any bile and help you get it out of your body. In turn, your body will use some of the extra cholesterol in your blood and make more bile, which has several benefits.

One other thing that people tend to do is try and treat this pain using antacids. Just be aware that over-use of them can cause you other problems and honestly, it's not effective at treating the problem but rather the symptoms.

So for a quick bullet point list:
*Cut back on fatty foods
*Increase dietary intake of fiber/roughage
*use over the counter medications as directed on the back label. If you're needing to use more than that, you need to speak with a doctor.

I'd recommend talking with your general doctor and seeing if he would refer you to a good stomach doctor (aka a gastroenterologist), who will be the best equipped doctor to help you with your problems.

As far as an ultrasound:
Completely painless (but maybe awkward) procedure where a tech will put a little device over your belly (Right upper) and mash on it. You may feel a slight buzzing or tingling sensation but it is not at all unpleasant, just different.

If and only if the doctor decides you need to have a gall bladder removal (cholecystectomy), as for a laproscopic version. This is a minimally invasive procedure that is VERY routine. Many people are able to return to normal function after about a week and are able to be up and about just hours after the procedure. Most doctors would recommend laproscopy as it heals much faster and leaves less scar tissue. It would involve roughly 3-4 small, 1" incisions in a few places on your belly in places that are "scar resistant". Much improved from the old-timey call bladder surgeries that used to lay people up in the hospital for a week or more.

Wish you the best, and if you have any other questions, please let me know.

--Jeff, BSN, RN

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.