Newest Members
Stormchaser, johnnyc717, bluebook, Roscoe, SJC
12314 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
clutzygurl (22), dun (50), Gene (50), ufp1964 (50), Zoot (68)
Who's Online
4 registered (Obi, Ocellaris, 2 invisible), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12314 Members
74 Forums
63355 Topics
443023 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#443019 - 08/02/13 08:26 AM Re: Emotionally drained [Re: PookieMarie]
PookieMarie Offline

Thanks for the replies everyone. I made another topic today, but if I had just come in and re read everyone's replies I would have felt better. HopeDiesLast, I know it's a hard road and it won't be easy....I am realizing that now, but I am such a logical and strong person that sometimes I just want to throw the towel in because there seems like there's no way that being a survivor is the reason for such loneliness all of a sudden. I immediately want to protect myself and move on because if he doesn't have any emotions available or doesn't show he cares the same than why would I stay, but than my heart sees a man who is sad and who does love me. If I can get some advice and begin to take care of myself with the help of the T than maybe I can get through this and be there for him.

#443027 - 08/02/13 09:46 AM Re: Emotionally drained [Re: PookieMarie]
black dove Offline

Loc: FL
Originally Posted By: PookieMarie
I am realizing that now, but I am such a logical and strong person that sometimes I just want to throw the towel in because there seems like there's no way that being a survivor is the reason for such loneliness all of a sudden. I immediately want to protect myself and move on because if he doesn't have any emotions available or doesn't show he cares the same than why would I stay, but than my heart sees a man who is sad and who does love me.

Hi Pookie, this is certainly my experience too and it's an ongoing struggle. Some times are easier than other times. In my relationship, I am seeing that those limited emotions are the scar tissue of a deep, deep wounding and the fear of being too close (my husband was abused by his older sister) is exacerbated when I feel unsettled and get too needy (my own abandonment issues).

It's good that you are a strong woman and therapy definitely is a life line. I don't doubt that my husband loves me bigger than his abuse, it's just that the abuse has been tangled into his soul for such a long, long time.

Taking care of myself was not my natural proclivity (Being a nurturer is my own survival mechanism) so I'm finding plenty to do just focusing on my own recovery. Believe it or not, this self-care is giving my DH and I more common ground than ever before. I'm pretty sure this would not be possible if he wasn't actively engaged in his own recovery.

My best to you and your friend.
And make it sing

#443427 - 08/05/13 09:15 PM Re: Emotionally drained [Re: PookieMarie]
PookieMarie Offline

The T appointment was exactly what I needed. I just hope that while I am getting healthy he is able to do the same. Thank you everyone for the advice. I realize that I don't have to deal with this alone and that helps a lot.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.