Newest Members
DT, kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS
12257 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
ByondClosedDoors (41), Dave1425 (32), DeafDavid (23), LowSky (57)
Who's Online
1 registered (don64), 47 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12257 Members
73 Forums
63119 Topics
441403 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#442814 - 07/31/13 08:44 PM Is this going to be triggering or what?
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
I was in my office this afternoon when I received a subpoena to testify in a case involving a convicted sex offender----convicted on four counts of child rape.

Why was I subpoenaed?

Last year I produced a map (as a favor) for a municipal police detective that indicated whether or not this sex offender lived within the mandatory exclusion zone from schools, parks, daycares, etc. Now, there is a dispute whether or not he does...and if the map is accurate. My map shows that he lives outside the zone...but the prosecution is saying the sidewalk running by his house is included in a designated greenway path....and if so....he is barely in violation.

This has nothing to do with the crimes this scum committed---just the accuracy of my geographical/cartographical abilities. I suppose I have to recount the esoteric art and science of map projections and the factors of error in each of them.

What an effin' unwelcome turn of events. It has nothing to do with my "day job." I hope I'm not triggered too badly...I'm okay for the time being, but this sucks.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#442816 - 07/31/13 08:48 PM Re: Is this going to be triggering or what? [Re: Suwanee]
Lost Mountain Offline

Loc: Atlanta
well at that point I would hope they would not be getting into any detail about the case so you should be ok.

#442817 - 07/31/13 08:57 PM Re: Is this going to be triggering or what? [Re: Suwanee]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL
Jesus Christ dude, that's fucked up! Do you think there is some chance you may be able to only be there for the portion of the trial where it is necessary for you to testify, then leave immediately afterwards? That way, perhaps you can avoid hearing any of the gory details that might come out? Although, there may not be any gory details, seeing as this trial sounds like it's basically just over where this dude lives and not what he actually did. Still, I can certainly understand why all the alarms would be going off in your head at the moment. I'd say just try to stay calm and keep everything about your map. As hard as it may be, try to forget about what this guy might have done. This is all just about lines on a map. Nothing more, nothing less. We're here for you. Take care. Peace,

Ken

Edited by BraveFalcon (07/31/13 08:59 PM)

#442819 - 07/31/13 08:58 PM Re: Is this going to be triggering or what? [Re: Suwanee]
JayBro Offline

Loc: Germany
Perhaps you could indicate to someone involved in the case- such as the prosecutors- that you yourself were a victim of CSA and to just ask questions concerning cartography as you might be otherwise triggered? That seems like such a tough thing to have to be reminded of and brought into.

#442820 - 07/31/13 09:02 PM Re: Is this going to be triggering or what? [Re: Suwanee]
txb Offline

Wow, that's... crazy. It sucks too that you were just helping someone out and then you get dragged into this. Are they making you be on his side? That's really disturbing and I'm sorry that you have to be in this situation. Hope it all goes ok.

#442821 - 07/31/13 09:08 PM Re: Is this going to be triggering or what? [Re: txb]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

The defense initiated the subpoena, but I'm not on either side.

Will

Ruins of a past unknown-

#442824 - 07/31/13 09:27 PM Re: Is this going to be triggering or what? [Re: Suwanee]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL
Originally Posted By: Suwanee
The defense initiated the subpoena, but I'm not on either side.

Will

Exactly. It's just about a map. Lines on a map. That's it and that's all. Try to keep your brain there. Peace,

Ken

#442850 - 07/31/13 11:57 PM Re: Is this going to be triggering or what? [Re: Suwanee]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
He's already a convicted, adjudicated, registered sex offender. There would be no need for any recounting of his crimes because they are undisputed legal facts. They should only be talking about the map.

Having said that, you may have to be sitting about 15 feet away from a pedophile rapist while you're talking about maps.

It might help you to hold something sharp-edged in your hand - a small Lego brick would do - and dig a corner into you as something to concentrate on instead of him.

I emphatically urge you not to reveal your own history and I hope for your sake they don't ask you about it under oath; otherwise there might very well be a defense attorney materializing to claim bias. When I was on jury duty the lawyers were pretty relentless about asking people if they'd ever been victims of violent crime... they made one female prospective juror cry, she HAD to answer the question. My good ol' mental block saved me.... I miss it.

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#449865 - 10/11/13 03:52 PM Re: Is this going to be triggering or what? [Re: Suwanee]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

An update,

This thing went away. After several delays in the hearing, I got a call from the detective this morning-and a letter from the Court. This convicted perp not only agreed to leave the area--he was also subsequently arrested on another violation of his SO registry status. The issue at hand is now a moot point. I don't have to worry about this!!

Will

Ruins of a past unknown-

#449905 - 10/12/13 08:06 AM Re: Is this going to be triggering or what? [Re: Suwanee]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Glad you dodged what would have been a major stress-source, Will. It's such a bizarre circumstance, hopefully you won't encounter the like in your career again.

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.