Newest Members
Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843, The Abyss
12364 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
40035 (55), Brayton (60), DavidJ (65), Grout (29), JJM33 (43), RockyMtJoe (66)
Who's Online
7 registered (aniceguy, Bluedogone, Obi, bluesky, 3 invisible), 13 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12364 Members
74 Forums
63541 Topics
443939 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#442415 - 07/28/13 12:12 PM Wasp Nest (very off-topic)
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

We have a wasp nest between the brick facade and wood trim of our garage door. I don't believe in killing these creatures if it is unnecessary but it is in an area where they seem to get agitated every time the garage door operates. Being in a crack between molding and brick, the nest is not visible nor accessible. Does anyone have any ideas before I resort to a 20-foot stream of RAID tonight?

Yeah - very off topic, but still probably defined a bit by my issues while most folks would have no problem.

Click my pic to see why I'm here

#442416 - 07/28/13 12:25 PM Re: Wasp Nest (very off-topic) [Re: Chase Eric]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL
Fucking kill them! Wasps are the spawn of Satan! They serve no purpose other than to buzz around annoyingly and sting people, and their stings fucking HURT! Show them no mercy! Kill each and every one you find, wherever you find them! KIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLL THEEEEEEMMM!!!!!!! mad

mad KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLL!!!! mad

Edited by BraveFalcon (07/28/13 12:35 PM)
Edit Reason: Didn't put enough emphasis on the "kill" part the first time,

#442446 - 07/28/13 08:12 PM Re: Wasp Nest (very off-topic) [Re: BraveFalcon]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: BraveFalcon

OK. And thanks - I really appreciate the emotional honesty.

#442449 - 07/28/13 08:49 PM Re: Wasp Nest (very off-topic) [Re: Chase Eric]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
Smoke, like exhaust, or diesel fuel around the nest confuses them, then you can remove the nest, which includes removing the trim to get to it. You can also caulk the seams around the area but that may lead to the death of some of the bees.

Smoke does not leave much of a smell, diesel really stinks!

#442465 - 07/28/13 10:40 PM Re: Wasp Nest (very off-topic) [Re: Chase Eric]
Magellan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Best thread ever!

Originally Posted By: Chase Eric
Originally Posted By: BraveFalcon

OK. And thanks - I really appreciate the emotional honesty.

Loving Kindness Meditation will dramatically improve your spirits; give it a try for just 3 days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sz7cpV7ERsM

#442475 - 07/29/13 12:07 AM Re: Wasp Nest (very off-topic) [Re: Magellan]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Yeah!

I have a wasp nest in a bush in my yard. I discovered it while trimming hedges. They didn't like that at all. I didn't get stung. I think they're yellow jackets (not Georgia Tech frown ).

Puffer

#442731 - 07/31/13 06:54 AM Re: Wasp Nest (very off-topic) [Re: Chase Eric]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
I like advice that Sam gave and to safely remove nest from that location and put is somewhere else out of reach.

Last year I've had somewhere near my condo similar situation. Here and there I'd find one or two wasps wondering around; they would enter my apartment trough open window and couldn't get out.
And once while I was laying on my futon under the window I felt something happening on pillow and my hair, lol, so when I tried to go trough with my hand I heard wasp's buzz warning me. Suddenly my rest disappeared and I jumped like cat, lol. It was some surprise.

They are great, usually predators of other insects and real fighters, taking important part of ecological chain.

Pero

#442738 - 07/31/13 08:49 AM Re: Wasp Nest (very off-topic) [Re: peroperic2009]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
The wasp nest in the bush can't really even be seen because it's hidden within the mass of leaves. But they sense vibrations such as trimming branches even on an adjacent bush. They whizz out and start looking for the offending party (me).

Puffer

#442772 - 07/31/13 02:37 PM Re: Wasp Nest (very off-topic) [Re: Chase Eric]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
Aw puff, they gotts to eats to! smile

#442781 - 07/31/13 04:52 PM Re: Wasp Nest (very off-topic) [Re: pufferfish]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: pufferfish
The wasp nest in the bush can't really even be seen because it's hidden within the mass of leaves. But they sense vibrations such as trimming branches even on an adjacent bush. They whizz out and start looking for the offending party (me).

Well that happened to me a couple of summers back. I was cutting out a dead bush from our front garden and did not know that perfectly camouflaged in the dense dry brown branches was a dry brown wasp nest. The scene played out like a really bad movie. I saw the wasps suddenly seem to float out of it in slow motion. I could make out the detail in each wasp - their legs and abdomens just hanging grotesquely as they turned towards me. I ran in absolute terror! And my partner who was gardening nearby just watched as one wasp caught up to me, went right for my neck, landed on me, and stung. It was horrible. I grabbed my neck and shouted, "I'm hit! I'm hit! I'm hit!" I know it sounds stupid but that's all I could scream. Then I fell and rolled down the grass hill, holding my neck. It was a beautiful sunny day - the neighbors were out, too, and stopped to watch this one-man crazy show they probably didn't understand, and my partner just rolled his eyes at all the drama.

I really don't want to repeat that. I still have a little bump on the side of my neck to remind me of that awful day. But I'm a firm believer in karma. So if I CAN relocate the nest I'd almost pay to do it, but being so inaccessible, I may have to resort to Ken's suggestion, albeit not so ... well ... enthusiastically as him, I guess.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.