Newest Members
RodrigoBR, MJ545, Marant, BeingFound, journey4two
12332 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cricket453 (60)
Who's Online
4 registered (4 invisible), 19 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12332 Members
74 Forums
63412 Topics
443341 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 25 of 26 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 >
Topic Options
#459565 - 01/27/14 11:24 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
WriterKeith Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: southern California
Okay, troopers, time to report in!

I've taken off and kept off 5 lbs. but haven't pushed through to the next level. I made some kettle bells (more to be used as dumbbells than swinging kettle bells). Been doing the cardio, setting up a home gym.
I found a pro quality dip/pushup/pullup rig at a thrift store and hauled it home. It's the heavy pipe kind that pro gyms have. It was always my favorite gym equipment.

Workin' on the waistline... it will come along in time.

Anyone else? You guys still with us?

#459586 - 01/28/14 11:15 AM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
Jay1946 Offline

Loc: Miami, Florida, USA
My daughter got me into http://www.dietbetter.com so we can compete to take off 4% of our body weight in one month. Interesting. We started today.

I weigh 160 lbs, which means I would have to take off 6.4 lbs in one month.

#459606 - 01/28/14 03:43 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: WriterKeith]
txb Offline

Originally Posted By: WriterKeith
Okay, troopers, time to report in!

I've taken off and kept off 5 lbs. but haven't pushed through to the next level. I made some kettle bells (more to be used as dumbbells than swinging kettle bells). Been doing the cardio, setting up a home gym.
I found a pro quality dip/pushup/pullup rig at a thrift store and hauled it home. It's the heavy pipe kind that pro gyms have. It was always my favorite gym equipment.

Workin' on the waistline... it will come along in time.

Anyone else? You guys still with us?

Sounds like you are doing great! Nice work on finding the gym equipment. I've been thinking about setting up a home gym. I've been looking at some guys homemade gyms for a while.

This guys is the best. But I don't think my aunt would be happy if I built that in her garden.

I've been totally out for a while. I injured my hand and had to have surgery. I'm not supposed to do any heavy lifting yet. I started running again just this last week, but my overall goal is to gain some weight, so maybe that's not really the best thing to do. But somehow I've gained 1kg (about 2lbs). I'm pretty happy with that. So yeah, I'm back on board.

#461877 - 03/02/14 01:10 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Okay, I haven't added to the thread in a while, but I have continued to exercise.

Yesterday I lifted weights and swam.

Dumbbells:
Hammer curls: 3 sets of 10 @ 40 lbs
Lateral Raises: 3 sets of 10 @ 30 lbs
Shoulder Press: 3 sets of 10 @ 40 lbs
Front Raises: 3 sets of 10 @ 40 lbs
Shoulder Shrugs: 2 sets of 20 @ 70 lbs
Deltoid Row: 3 sets of 10 @ 35 lbs
Biceps Curls: 3 sets of 8 @ 40 lbs
Triceps Extension: 3 sets of 8 @35 lbs

Machines:
Pectoral Fly
3 sets of 10 @ 155 lbs
Seated Row
3 sets of 10 @ 125 bs
Leg Press
3 sets of 10 @ 300 lbs
Reverse Fly
3 sets of 10 @ 100 lbs

Swim:
800 Yards Free
200 Yards Butterfly

Meals:
Breakfast-Bran Flakes/2% milk; fresh strawberries; peanut butter toast; 2 bananas
Lunch-Bacon, Lettuce, Tomato Sandwich; Mexican Coke (12 oz)
Snack-Kashi Dark Chocolate cookie; protein shake
Dinner-Organic cheeseburger; organic potato fries; water and a Red Hare IPA beer (pint)
Snack-Graham crackers & peanut butter

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#462174 - 03/07/14 05:48 AM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: Suwanee]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL
I've got to get back on the ball. Since I hurt my elbow late last summer, I haven't been able to do the weights but I can still go for runs and I've been pretty bad about staying motivated to do that. I've been running 3-4 times a week, instead of 6-7 times a week like I should. Also, with the diet, I've been cheating 3-4 times a week, instead of only 1-2 times a week as I think is acceptable. I think I've gained about 10 lbs in the last few months and have probably gained 15 in the past year. I haven't stepped on the scale lately though because I don't even want to know. This has to stop.

A big part of this has been the inability to use weights but not all of it. My elbow hasn't been hurting much lately but that's what I thought a few months back before I went back to the weights and screwed it up again. So, I am going to wait another couple of months and hopefully return to the weights when it's fully healed. In the meantime, I'm going to re-commit and go back to running 6-7 times a week and cheating 1-2 times a week. Hopefully I can loose at least a little weight that way by the summer. Peace,

Ken

Edited by BraveFalcon (03/08/14 01:53 PM)

#462227 - 03/08/14 01:52 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: BraveFalcon]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

Ok, I finally stepped on the scale last night and it's not as bad as I thought. I'm up to 190 lbs and I was certain I was up to around 200. For some reason, I feel fatter than 190 though. I think my love handles look way more prominent at 190 than they did at 180. Perhaps it's because I haven't been doing my core workouts like I need to. I can do those without putting strain on my elbow, so there really is no excuse. Headed to the gym now to do just that.

By the way, I've been told that eating to much sodium can cause you to bloat and look heavier than you really are. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that? If so, maybe that's part of the problem. I really do need to decrease my sodium intake but I'm just so addicted to high sodium foods. Oh well. Peace,

Ken

#462480 - 03/12/14 08:58 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
gettingstronger Offline

Loc: Virginia
Ken,

Keep it up! I really think one of the best things anyone can do is figure out how to work some exercise into their schedule. It doesn't have to be a lot-- even a run (or walk) around the block once per day before dinner can make a world of difference.

For me, I'm really prone to depression (and long periods of gloomy, cold weather are really tough on me.) Getting a run in several times a week helps my mood, helps with depression, pushes me physically, helps me lose weight, and makes me feel better about myself (especially if I run further than before.) I know this all sounds corny and you've heard it before, but it's true.

So note to fellow survivors: If you feel like crap or are even just having a bad day, bundle up if need be and at least take a walk around the block. Several times a week if possible. If you can run around that block instead, do it. Even a little bit will help-- trust me.

Bob

#466898 - 06/22/14 07:58 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
gettingstronger Offline

Loc: Virginia
I finally noticed a weird little irony running around in my even weirder brain all these years: I've always wanted to be in shape and cut up, but deep down I've never felt I deserved it or could achieve it. This has kept me from working out consistently over the years, but until now I could never figure out the connection (or disconnect.)

Finally, the light went on.... Going down to work out. Right now.

I suppose the moral of the story is, if you want something but don't feel you deserve it, don't feel you can achieve it, or some other such nonsense, take a good, hard look to see if the only thing holding you back is yourself. If it's you, say "screw all that, I'm doing it anyway!" and go out and get what you want (as long as it's healthy and for the right reasons.) Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread over the years for all the inspiration.

Bob

Edited by gettingstronger (06/22/14 07:59 PM)

#466941 - 06/24/14 07:36 AM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: gettingstronger]
txb Offline

I figured this out recently too. I write a lot and I noticed my journals were mostly full of things I wanted to do, or me complaining about not doing the things I wanted to do. So then I just figured, stop complaining and just go and do stuff. So I did.

I'm committing to this again. Again! I'm focusing on health more, because food is kind of an issue for me. I thought I would just try and eat healthy stuff rather than worry about calorie intake. This is day 2 for me. It's going ok so far. I started lifting weights and running again, but I do want to gain weight, so maybe running is not really the best. I should probably find some kind of exercise that doesn't burn so many calories. Me and my friend are buying a kayak and I'm really excited about that. I think my goals are going to be eat well and spend more time outdoors.

#468169 - 07/29/14 09:03 AM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: BraveFalcon]
lapchinj Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Since I fell apart about 3-1/2 years ago I've gained a lot of weight. I went from 186 to almost 240. I used to jog 10 miles twice a week and then 4 miles the rest of the week. I would do core and weights every morning and Saturdays was my day off. Now I just feel sluggish but since I've been on meds and the meds tuned even though I'm a bit zombiated I want to get back to do something. I just came across this thread last night and I still have quite a bit of reading to do in it but what I have read has put a fire under me I hope it just doesn't just fizz out.

Originally Posted By: BraveFalcon
By the way, I've been told that eating to much sodium can cause you to bloat and look heavier than you really are. Does anyone know if there is any truth to that? If so, maybe that's part of the problem. I really do need to decrease my sodium intake but I'm just so addicted to high sodium foods.

Hey Ken, Yes salt will bloat a person. My family physician told me on my last visit that I had in his estimate about 25 lbs of water in me and most of that is probably due to salt. He mentioned that unless the label says "salt free" there is always salt in a product, even health foods. He gave me Lasix about 2 weeks ago and I've lost about 10 lbs without changing my eating habits aside from adding salt to my food.

Will, thanks for entering your workout. I would rather swim but I ended up jogging and riding my bike because I couldn't find an indoor pool for year round. i'll probably drop jogging and do my bike and jump rope since it's easier on my knees.

Thanks for starting this thread Lewis. I have to reread your stuff along with the rest of the thread.

Peace, Rainbows, Love, Healing & Hope
<3 XOXO
Jeff

Page 25 of 26 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25 26 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.