Newest Members
JHNebraska, mike42069, JACKL, Personman, SiegmundNYC
12490 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
kb8715 (114), rom2057 (57), terrapin (51)
Who's Online
2 registered (Seekingwisdom, Still), 16 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12490 Members
74 Forums
64157 Topics
447679 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#441426 - 07/19/13 10:28 PM Sexual predator at famed Deerfield Academy
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
What happened at Deerfield

By Whit Sheppard.
Preview of July 21, 2013

Originally Posted By: Boston Globe by author Whit Sheppard
I was a teenager at the elite boarding school in the 1980s. He was my teacher, coach, and dorm parent. He was also a sexual predator

http://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/2013..._campaign=sm_tw

Originally Posted By: Whit Sheppard in Boston Globe

For nearly three decades, I chose to remain largely silent about events dating back to my adolescence, but in June 2012, I wrote Deerfield Academy’s head of school, Margarita Curtis, disclosing that a venerated faculty member had sexually abused me during my senior year at the elite Western Massachusetts boarding school in the winter of 1983.

Originally Posted By: Whit Sheppard in Boston Globe

Beginning midway through the fall term of my senior year, the Czar initiated an insistent campaign to give me a back rub. I shrugged it off the first few times with a casual “Thanks anyway.” I wish I could say that I understood his aims, but it never crossed my mind that Hindle was anything other than what he appeared to be: a highly esteemed “man’s man” who was genuinely interested in the well-being of his charges. He was the last person I would have suspected of being sexually interested in adolescent boys, or in me.

Edited by pufferfish (07/20/13 12:53 AM)

#441433 - 07/19/13 11:50 PM Re: Sexual predator at famed Deerfield Academy [Re: pufferfish]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Aw dammit. Another one...

That is a tough read for me. The blind trust we used to afford those around us like "The Czar" is astounding. I'm not naïve enough to think we have exorcised the likes of him from our midst. Still, these things were as wrong in any year--much less today.

My own boarding school experience was overwhelmingly positive. The Deerfield case unfortunately isn't isolated I'm afraid. The environment in these places is normally supportive---but ripe for the covert abuse of that trust. I wonder about the other Czars I've met. The victim/author alludes to Holden Caulfield. Oh, I know.

I'm grateful I was supported at school. I'm impressed that Sheppard pursued this. He speaks with the voice if a survivor. I'm also grateful the current school administration is taking this seriously. It's about time somebody did just that.

Will

Edited by Suwanee (07/20/13 03:44 PM)

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#441487 - 07/20/13 04:36 PM Re: Sexual predator at famed Deerfield Academy [Re: pufferfish]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Odd that this one actually waited for his preferred boy to turn 18, then kept things nonviolent and with none of the threats or blackmail that are par for course (ie the main perp at Horace Mann who basically told his victims that rejecting sex with him would leave them worthless mediocrities forever).

Some elements of this story are very novel to me and I find myself not reacting to it the way I thought I would. This was socially inappropriate and a misuse of power, but, technically, weren't they consenting adults? When one adult repeatedly visits another knowing he will be fellated it sounds more along the "regretted" than "abusive" ends of the spectrum. I'm deeply sorry if my saying that hurts or offends anyone. But I've read lots of reports and cases, as have we all, and this one looks... different, and this is my confused response to those differences; I am trying my best to process something that is completely new to me. It certainly reads nothing like anything in the ASA forum; it reads more like what groomers do to 12-year-olds, but in this case the one who "kept going back" was an adult, old enough to storm a beach with a machinegun. Obviously if there were other boys involved who were underage that changes things back....

Matt

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of Heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#441530 - 07/20/13 09:26 PM Re: Sexual predator at famed Deerfield Academy [Re: pufferfish]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
Actually, in most state laws today, sex with a student by school staff is defined as statutory rape. Same thing with a coach/player. Age is only one of the factors of statutory rape and other sexual crimes.
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#441534 - 07/20/13 09:45 PM Re: Sexual predator at famed Deerfield Academy [Re: pufferfish]
catfish86 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Ohio
After reading the article, I will say that the school's reaction after his 2012 contact is what we would hope for in a school's reaction. You can't undo what was done, we all know that here only too well, but you can react with candor, respect and sincere investigation. You can own up to what happened and take what steps you can. Compare that to the Boy Scouts, Catholic Church and Penn State...enough said. I will say that this is abuse. Coaches should not masturbate their players, nor perform fellatio on them. Bottom line.
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

#441649 - 07/21/13 09:59 PM Re: Sexual predator at famed Deerfield Academy [Re: SoccerStar]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Matt,

The Deerfield case sounds like the classic pederasty as depicted in ancient Greece. A trusted elder, a teacher takes a boy into his care and....well, the article spells it out.

Apparently, the teacher began when the guy was still 17...and pursued a more prurient conclusion after he turned 18. In any case, today's society considers it a breach of trust and a crime. I agree that there is an element of regret there, but I can't imagine this teacher drawing (or abiding by) bright lines at an age of majority. The regret of repeatedly going back as an adult for more does 'feel' different. I'm with you that this fits somewhere in the spectrum of SA...I just don't know where.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#441750 - 07/22/13 02:05 PM Re: Sexual predator at famed Deerfield Academy [Re: catfish86]
unhappycamper Offline

Loc: VA
Sex with a student is certainly enough to cost the teacher his/her license in any state, regardless of the student's age.

John

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.