Newest Members
Jay1159, jon-jon, want more, pgh15217, Barracuda312
12343 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeneF48 (66), kun wang (32)
Who's Online
4 registered (Steve J, HD001, pufferfish, 1 invisible), 23 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12343 Members
74 Forums
63439 Topics
443465 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#273782 - 02/03/09 03:49 AM Re: This is really beginning to irritate me [Re: pemac01]
petercorbett Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: TEXAS
Hi everyone,
I'll have to agree with Joel on this too.

But like a very few of us i use my real name. I have filled out my profile as is currently set up.

I'm not ashamed about what i post, it's from the very depths of my soul. If someone out there gets his/her kicks about reading what we post on the public pages they are worse off than we are. My 2 euro cents worth.

Heal well my brothers/friends.
Pete (Irishmoose)

May 15-17 2009, Alta, Sep. 2009. Sequoia, 2010.
Hope Springs, 2010.

#273805 - 02/03/09 10:50 AM Re: This is really beginning to irritate me [Re: petercorbett]
FormerTexan Offline
Site Administrator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: Denver, CO
Joel,

Let's assume the questions are a requirement for sign-on. I like seeing answers in the profile that I can relate to. If someone knows sigh language and posts that, I can say 'hey, we have something in common' and would like to get to know them better.

I see your points, but let me play Devil's advocate for just a moment:

OCCUPATION - Bank Teller
HOBBIES - Jogging
LOCATION - USA
GENDER - Male
AGE - 21
SURVIVOR - Yes
PARTNER OF SURVIVOR - Yes

Now, anyone that knows me knows these would not be my answers. I pretended for a moment to be a scammer in filling out the questions (a la Toby). The answers are actually a composite of a couple of past scammers from the site, both who were women.

My point is that having the profile questions answered does not mean we are going to get acquainted with the real user behind the profile. Recent past experience shows how well that goes over.

All things considered, I would like to see more profiles filled out.

Andy

1. That

If I could meet myself as a boy...

#273807 - 02/03/09 11:07 AM Re: This is really beginning to irritate me [Re: joelRT]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
Originally Posted By: joelRT
Filling out a profile does in no way compromise anyone's anonimity - you can't be traced by anyone because your hobby is gardening or bird-watching or whatever.......

It just simply is helpfull to know if someone is indeed a survivor, spouse or just curious.

To me age is important as well - I don't do teens and I tend to stay away from women, for the simple reason that I have learned from experience and at other's expense that I tend to be a little too direct in my responses, lack diplomacy, etc. and that has been off putting to some. Not a good thing when you consider that this a support site.

I agree it is nice to see profiles filled out. I haven't filled out the hobby section though, if that was made mandatory i think i would be a little stuck, i'm not sure i have any real hobbies, maybe i will think of something to add.

Age and gender could be good fields to show i think. It may help users to interact better. I am not sure if everybody would be comfortable with doing that, so maybe making it mandatory would not be such a good idea, but having the option there to put it down would be good.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#273808 - 02/03/09 11:09 AM Re: This is really beginning to irritate me [Re: FormerTexan]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Québec, Canada
Andy,

I take your point about the fraudsters and I'm certain (in fact, I know) that the MOD team has means for dealing with those people and eliminating them from the site.

I've cut & pasted below a copy of two PMs yesterday to the same friend.

PM 1Truth be told, filling out a profile does in no way compromise anyone's anonimity, but it does give the rest of us an idea of who we are talking to at first, when a new person shows up.

EX: I don't do teens. I don't have the tact and diplomacy required to help make them feel safe here. I also try very hard to stay away from curious women and what I often consider their insipid questions, and I do so for the same reasons as stated above.

For as direct as I am with you is how I approach everyone. I have had some unfortunate experiences where I have greatly offended some people simply because I assumed that I was dealing with a male adult survivor. Sometimes you can't tell by the post. (or by the handle)

PM 2
Knowing about a guy's interests/hobbies can be one more way to help make a connection with a like minded survivor - I think that in some cases it could help make on-site friendships a little easier.

Ron is a great guy to be sure, but I like him just a little wee bit better than some because he too is a bird man, 'get it'?

What kind of music is a guy into? Is he an avid outdoorsman? (M3 is) Is he a Gym Queen, landscaper hobbyist, does he do volunteer work??? All these things can help make a person feel that he fits in all the more because there are guys here just like him......Anyhoooo, that's my take.

#273810 - 02/03/09 11:13 AM Re: This is really beginning to irritate me [Re: king tut]
mike5 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Cleveland, OH
I removed most of my profile information a while back after someone started messaging my about where I live and generally giving me the impression they were trying to track me down.

In the spirit of this thread through, I've added most back, except for the location.

Mike

#273811 - 02/03/09 11:20 AM Re: This is really beginning to irritate me [Re: joelRT]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Is he an avid outdoorsman? (M3 is)

Me too!, i will add that as one

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#273812 - 02/03/09 11:23 AM Re: This is really beginning to irritate me [Re: king tut]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Lewis,

Here's a hobby - you draw, wonderfully I might add!!!

#273814 - 02/03/09 11:25 AM Re: This is really beginning to irritate me [Re: joelRT]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

ok, here are the ones i just put up:

Outdoors, Science, Nature, Dinosaurs, Archaeology, Egyptology, Drawing

thanks Joel, it was a good idea for you to point this out

#273815 - 02/03/09 11:30 AM Re: This is really beginning to irritate me [Re: king tut]
joelRT Offline
MaleSurvivor

Lewis ! we not only share the same Queen (how is old Betty, anyway?), but also common interest - archaeology and Egyptology.

I always knew that you are an awesome dude, but now you're even awesomer laugh

#273816 - 02/03/09 11:31 AM Re: This is really beginning to irritate me [Re: king tut]
Sans Logos Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: in my own world in pittsburgh,...

Here's a hobby - you draw, wonderfully I might add!!!

hey lewis, cross your eyes and look down....there's your NOSE!

LOL. sometimes the obvious eludes the subject.

Edited by Sans Logos (02/03/09 12:24 PM)
Edit Reason: to add the quote....it made better sense...to whom? no one

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.