Newest Members
Mike Boyd, Serenity40, markm, hans32, SilentNoLonger
12133 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
casey (45), flaredsoul (31), Madcap (29), susie24 (59)
Who's Online
5 registered (estuardo, 4 invisible), 50 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12133 Members
73 Forums
62563 Topics
438366 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#441355 - 07/19/13 12:43 PM not sure why I'm posting this ... to vent?
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
So .... achilles tendonitus from a heel spur. Doc says X-Ray shows where surgery is needed, but it's inflamed - so he puts me in a (black) boot that goes to my knee to wear for 4 weeks to get rid of the inflamation. Nice thing is, no pain while I wear the boot - so I put up with the extra 4 pounds on my left foot for a while.
Yesterday is one month - I see him for follow up, swelling appears (by examination) to be gone, but problem (PAIN) is still there, if I'm not in the boot. NOW he says he needs an MRI so he knows exactly what he'll see when he "opens me up". Great. Soonest MRI - 3 weeks. Then one week for him to get results and a couple days for him to plan strategy for full treatment. Then he'll call me - but I won't be available because I'll be at a male survivor's retreat that weekend.
So I get back third week in August. He'll tell me he's prepared now to do the operation (I HOPE!) - so we just need to schedule it.
Anybody wanna venture a guess how long it will take to get me into surgery???

Kirkridge - October 2008
Alta - September 2012
Alta - September 2013

#441531 - 07/20/13 09:35 PM Re: not sure why I'm posting this ... to vent? [Re: MarkK]
MarkK Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Denver, CO
that must have been it

#444281 - 08/14/13 10:03 AM Re: not sure why I'm posting this ... to vent? [Re: MarkK]
Adam A Gedman Offline

Loc: Canada
Mark
I'm not a doctor so take this for what it's worth.
I have been afflicted by body pain in many forms for about as long as I can remember. It was suggested by a good friend of mine to read (I chose to listen, due to my ADD) a book by Dr. John Sarno. "The Mind Body Connection".
This book has been the single biggest pain reliever I have experienced. The Book is about TMS - Tension Myositis Sundrome. TMS is a condition, where the mind deprives certain muscles, tendons and ligaments of sufficient oxygen. Lack of oxygen in these tissues causes pain. Why does the mind do this? To distract us from painful emotions. Dr Sarno describes how repression of painful emotions causes the mind to find a way to distract us, pain. What better way to keep your attention away from painful emotions, than constant pain.
I won't go on, as I would suggest you read and digest the information before going under the knife.
Any surgery is dangerous, and what do you have to lose.
Many of my group of friends completely discount the premise, but as I described to them...
1. Would you agree that your mind controls every single aspect of how your body functions?
2. Would you agree that most of this happens without us being aware of it? (breathing, body temperature, the flow of blood etc)
3. Don't think so? Increase your heart rate, without physical activity or make your hair grow faster today.
4. If you have no conscious control over these examples, isn't it possible you don't have conscious control over others, many others?
5. Isn't it possible that your mind could be doing something that you are unaware of that could be causing you pain?
Enough pontificating, it worked for me and by study, Dr Sarno has a very high success rate.
I wish you luck, whichever way you choose to go.

Formerly Adam A Gedman (AKA - A damAGed man)

But you can call me Kevin

#444353 - 08/15/13 12:48 AM Re: not sure why I'm posting this ... to vent? [Re: Adam A Gedman]
pufferfish Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: USA
Mark

For what it's worth...

I have successfully gotten over 2 bouts of heel spur. It hurts. I think the tendonitis comes from trying to avoid putting pressure on the spur.

The way to do it is to get different shoes. This is cheaper by far than surgery. Get a different kind of shoe that fits differently on your foot and relieves the pressure on the heel spur.

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.