Newest Members
mossTI, E35, 1975, Lucy, StacyR
12337 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
deaddreamer (41), hkkim (55), tony watashi (44)
Who's Online
2 registered (traveler, 1 invisible), 16 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12337 Members
74 Forums
63427 Topics
443413 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#441264 - 07/18/13 05:39 PM Freeing Experience Today
seikei Offline
MaleSurvivor

I have a very freeing experience today. I attended a required course called Virtus at my local catholic church today to become a volunteer. I thought it would an instruction on the beliefs of the church, but it turned out the the whole point of the Virtus class was to communicate the warning signs of sexual abuse as well as way to prevent it within the church. One disturbing aspect of the class was a video of interviews with convicted child molesters where they recounted how they chose, groomed, and attempted to silence their victims. It was quite triggering at times, but very insightful as we got to take a look inside the mind of a predator.

We were required to discuss what the video said regarding warning signs. During the discussion, the instructor said that while she had had several women admit during these sessions that they had been abused, she doubted that a man ever would. Something stirred within me, and I decided that I would become her first.

Shaky and staggering, I stated that the interviews with victims and offenders really hit close to home because I was a victim of abuse. And I stated that adults are just as culpable if they ignore warning signs as my parents did with me. It was like I had just dropped a bomb in the room. The two other ladies taking the class could not say a word. They were clearly uncomfortable. I really don't care looking back now, because the whole point of this class was to have an honest conversation about sexual abuse even if it made us uncomfortable.

The instructor thanked me for my courage and then stated that she too was a victim of abuse. I sent her an e-mail afterward thanking her for her courage and also commending my church for it's serious commitment to preventing child sexual abuse...for obvious reasons. This was the first time that I stated in front of complete and total strangers that I had been abused. I felt honored to be the first man to come forward during these classes and I hope that it will do some good.

#441268 - 07/18/13 06:03 PM Re: Freeing Experience Today [Re: seikei]
traveler Online   confused
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
well done, seikei!

it sounds like you were empowered by the experience - and i don't use that term lightly.

lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.