Newest Members
Mike Boyd, Serenity40, markm, hans32, SilentNoLonger
12133 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
casey (45), flaredsoul (31), Madcap (29), susie24 (59)
Who's Online
8 registered (pete1973, Obi, 6 invisible), 67 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12133 Members
73 Forums
62563 Topics
438355 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 16 of 25 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
#443761 - 08/08/13 04:05 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I have bought pasta for lunch instead of sandwiches now- but just because i got bored of sandwiches.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#443762 - 08/08/13 04:08 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

So today i have so far been for a little jog- my dog needed walking, it would have taken ages to exhaust her if i had walked so i made her sprint instead. I am sweating like mad- i don't know why, i'm either unfit or it is very hot, i think a bit of both.

Later tonight i will do my usual exercise- no increasing reps tonight- that is for tomorrow.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#443767 - 08/08/13 05:12 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

Heading out the door for my run right now. Diet has been good today. No cheating. Have some grilled chicken breasts ready for dinner tonight and the next couple of days. Will eat them with either some low-calorie soup or some brown rice. Peace,

Ken

#443868 - 08/09/13 06:28 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Ok folks, this was a hit/miss kind of week.

Today was a breakfast of pb on wheat toast, Greek yogurt (pomegranate) and some 2% milk.

Lunch was not so good---a delicious cheeseburger, fries and Coke from Five Guys---no I didn't eat all the fries by myself.

Dinner is grilled salmon, mashed garlic potatoes and spinach. (2-3 IPAs--we'll see).

Exercise this afternoon was a 2000 yard swim.

Tonight's snack---prolly PB on graham crackers.

Oh yeah--I ate a peach from the tree in our backyard.

Will

Edited by Suwanee (08/09/13 06:31 PM)
Edit Reason: Peaches!

My Story: Cruel Summer

#443930 - 08/10/13 10:41 AM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: Suwanee]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

Just finished up a Saturday morning run. I did not exercise yesterday but it wasn't really my fault. I went to the gym before work and their key fob reader wasn't working so I was locked out. I was SO pissed! After work I didn't have time to exercise. To much video game playing to do. cool

The diet has been good for the last couple of days and today should be good to. That is, aside from the massive amount of beer that I will drink but I do that every weekend. That said, last night I got so smashed that I passed out before I could eat dinner so at least it saved me some calories. I have some turkey burgers that I intend to cook up for lunch today and eat with avocado. For dinner I'm having a grilled chicken breast with brown rice. That is, if I don't pass out first again. LOL! Peace,

Ken

#444015 - 08/11/13 11:24 AM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

So, I ran a beaver sleepover last night at a local sports centre. The theme was healthy eating and health and fitness.

For fun, at one point, I found myself entering a competition for the most press-ups with a couple of the older beavers and a cub. So these older kids are 8 years old. I was able to do more press-ups than usual! which is good, although the kids were only 3 press-ups behind me (I wasn't going to let them win lol- I need to keep an image). They were doing them properly- going down all the way so that their nose touches the ground, impressive.

In a timing press-up test, one Beaver, doing really good form press-ups, who is only 6yrs old, did 46 press-ups in 1 minute! I can't even do 46 press-ups! Really impressed!

#444026 - 08/11/13 12:55 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
DavoSwim Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa, USA
Hey
I was reading a news article that demonstrated that exercise trains the brain to handle anxiety more effectively by modulating the fear response in the hippocampus so that stimuli which normally elicit panic, fear, and anxiety are neutralized. As a result people are better able to handle anxiety. Even better, the response continues even after exercise ends so you don't have to be working out to see the effect. This is useful for CSA survivors and illustrates that exercise is therapeutic and can be effectively used during recovery and healing.

Dave

#444101 - 08/12/13 12:23 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

I've had a sort of inner exhaustion lately- I think because I am not keeping a proper to-do list, and have a million things to-do, most of which I can't remember. I'm also pretty anxious about the idea of finding a new driving instructor- for some reason the thought of dealing with somebody new is really too much for me to handle- and i'm not usually like that, so i am finding the whole experience difficult. I think exercise for me does help, as you say, to reduce anxiety, and when everything is too much it helps to give me some achievable focus.

I like exercise, because it is back to basics, very primal, and it gets you back to your original being, you are aware of your body, you are natural and for me mostly naked (I find it easier without clothes). It is like not being ashamed of your body anymore- don't get me wrong, I don't like the way my body is at the moment, but it is saying this is me. When you are a kid you are really accepting of yourself, your body and your being, when you get older you lose that somewhat. Exercising for me kind of reclaims my physical being, connects me with the world and doesn't let my mind float away in any abstract way. I think, with my work that quite often involves lots of thinking in my mind, it is really good to keep connected to the physical. Also if I exercise it means I wont forget to do the other things to take care of myself- shower, shave, teeth. So it is really a whole self-care thing.

Also it is a challenge. I am genuinely interested in seeing if I can achieve this, and get a body that I am proud of, so that I can take my top off and not be self conscious. That means partly exercising to adjust my body, and partly working to adjust how I think about myself, I know it takes both of those things.

#444124 - 08/12/13 06:22 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Increased reps slightly today.

Some questions you may or may not know the answer to:

1) How do you know when you are able to try heavier weights when using dumbbells? like how many reps of one weight should you be able to do before increasing?

2) When using dumbbells I do one arm at a time. I tried doing both arms at the same time today- I can see it can be dangerous as you have to make sure both arms are timed right to prevent strain or twists. However, I see the benefit in that your body has to deal with twice the weight (your arms are still using the same weight but the weight your body has to deal with is doubled). What is the normal way of using dumbbells?

#444139 - 08/12/13 09:19 PM Re: Exercise Motivation Team [Re: king tut]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Lewis,

I prefer dumbbells for weight training. During our "dryland" workouts for swimming, I found them to be best at isolating the targeted muscle groups. You can work just about every muscle group if you have access to a good set of dumbbells.

1) When increasing weight, most trainers recommend that you start out with just enough weight so that you can comfortably do 8-12 reps without causing your form to suffer. If you can do that, go up one increment so you can do the 8-12 reps. To avoid "plateauing" you can add extra weight and max out at fewer reps during one of your sets... e.g. add 25% more weight for only 4-6 reps. Don't over so as to avoid injury.

2) Some exercises can be done one at a time---like curls. I simply alternate left-right-left as I go...instead of doing all right and then all left. Bench work and pull-overs are usually done left-right together. Shoulder, back and tricep work is usually alternating a-la the curls.

Good luck!

Will

My Story: Cruel Summer

Page 16 of 25 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 24 25 >

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.