Newest Members
Lumpy, squeekinby, rhyoung, Jefferson22, OxfordArms
12369 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
freddie (65), Max10 (56), Medos (46), PJinLB (47), TheWookinizer (27), tofeno (40)
Who's Online
7 registered (Obi, dan_in_newengland, CafeMan, Jay1946, 2 invisible), 21 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12369 Members
74 Forums
63579 Topics
444198 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#440568 - 07/10/13 01:48 PM therapy weirdness
Jaifian Offline

Loc: washington state, USA
Anyone ever in therapy and start feeling like the therapist is pulling details of your assault out of you more for self-arousal than anything else? I know there are good therapists out there, but do they really need to know all this stuff they ask about? Like did it hurt.. did you cry.. of course! what difference does it make?! And to sit there staring at me while i squirm in my seat.. I feel like my humiliation is once again being enjoyed.
Then again maybe this is just the therapy heebie-jeebies, but isn't a good therapist supposed to be good at making sure you DONT feel that way?

#440630 - 07/11/13 08:14 AM Re: therapy weirdness [Re: Jaifian]
newground Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: michigan
hey Jaifian
It is so hard for us as survivors to trust our perceptions in many cases. PTSD often makes us feel threat where none exists and if your experience has been of a certain nature ,we then to anticipate that same thing going forward. that being said your therapist should be able to help you with those feelings.but to do so he must know how you are feeling. I would suggest the next time he asks for details that you stop there and tell him how you feel and ask for his reasoning in asking those questions. my current T has never asked for details, and the one I had before only did once and the fear and anger showed himself and we had to do some calming things it was not pleasant and he never asked again so I think if we are open with what we are feeling it is better all around. hope that helps
Jeff
Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. let me then tow to pieces, while still chasing thee, thou damned whale! Thus, I give up the spear!"
Herman Melville

#440712 - 07/12/13 09:40 AM Re: therapy weirdness [Re: Jaifian]
Tyr Offline
MaleSurvivor

go to a therapist that can apply congnitive processing therapy. they dont focus on the details of the assault. but on how it gets you stuck in life and how to unstick you.

yes a lot of EMDR therapists are useless cunty garbage and will want to hear all the sordid details. rise above it and find a CPT therapist. regards

#440766 - 07/13/13 05:16 AM Re: therapy weirdness [Re: Jaifian]
1.healing Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NW Ohio

Hi Jafian,

When I was in therapy for my CSA issues, my therapist never asked for details of the abuse. In fact told me it wasn't necessary to hash out the details in order to heal and recover.

Personally, I don't think asking your therapist for greater consideration is something you should need to do. Please, find someone else who is more sensitive to your needs and qualified in the treatment of SA. You deserve better!

Gary

George Elliot

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life."

Virginia Woolf

#440984 - 07/15/13 10:36 PM . [Re: Jaifian]
JoeSmith Offline

#441027 - 07/16/13 08:16 AM Re: therapy weirdness [Re: Jaifian]
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south
Quote:
[/quote]but isn't a good therapist supposed to be good at making sure you DONT feel that way?[quote]

Jaifian, I think your statement answers your question. There are many, many times when we will be uncomfortable sharing info related with assault. But to be ask for specific details is something I would have a hard time with.

When I began therapy in Nov of '12, I went to ONE therapist who thought male on male rape was a matter of co-dependency. Truly, she gave me a paper to rate my co-dependency traits. I did not go back. T #2... I found her thru the recommendation of a friend. I am still trying to erase the remarks from my psychic that she said.... things like "now you know how a woman feels", and "I guess you are taking it up both ends"... and that my behavior caused the rape. Unfortunately for me, I stayed a few months longer that I should have.

T #3... I have been with him for about 2 1/2 months. If he asks something or says something that makes me uncomfortable, I remember that I am in control. I just ask for clarification as to why the question or the remark. It's very empowering. If he were to ask for details such as you mentioned, I would ask him why. If I became as uncomfortable as you are with my T, I probably would not return.

A T can do remarkable damage that stays with us. The goal is to take care of YOU. Hope my thoughts help a bit.

b

#441120 - 07/17/13 01:37 AM Re: therapy weirdness [Re: Jaifian]
philistine Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Oregon
Your therapist is your guide, but it is your journey.
If you do not feel comfortable, talk about it.
Both of these statements are true, doing it takes some courage but it is worthwhile.

"No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself" - Nietzsche

#441198 - 07/17/13 07:14 PM Re: therapy weirdness [Re: Jaifian]
Jaifian Offline

Loc: washington state, USA
I feel like I have to second guess myself kind of because I already know I'm going to be cranky about dealing with it at all, so I'm probably going to read things cynically. Every time I have to tell the story to someone in person like that it kind of feels like that person is victimizing me. It feels like my getting raped is being used to humiliate me for not defending myself. It's like because I couldn't defend myself I now have to keep telling therapists about getting raped as punishment.

So when I already feel like that, it's probably too easy to think bad things about the therapist like they must be getting off on it or whatever. ThisMan, that is truly a therapist horror story! That therapist clearly had issues of her own and was not capable of helping someone else.

There are bad therapists out there. My feeling is the one I have is probably ok, just not great like the very first on I had. Since I'm stuck with community mental health, my choices are limited.

#441234 - 07/18/13 03:47 AM Re: therapy weirdness [Re: Jaifian]
1.healing Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: NW Ohio

Hi Again Jaifian,

I'm sorry that along with the usual difficulties in dealing with sexual abuse that you're also experiencing therapist issues. As you said it may just be a misunderstanding or perhaps the therapist you see isn't trained to treat survivors of sexual abuse. It is a specific area of counseling that has different protocols than other therapies and the counselor you're seeing may not have the qualifications and experience needed to help you.

Even in Community Mental Health there are people who work primarily with survivors. If you're in a larger mental health system these therapist may be working in another office on the other side of town. It may be helpful to call your case manager and inquire if there's someone else who may have specific training in treating sexual abuse.

You deserve to be comfortable with who you work with and to be treated respectfully and appropriately. I hope things get better for you soon and I wish you all the best in healing.

Gary / 1.healing

George Elliot

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life."

Virginia Woolf

#441701 - 07/22/13 04:31 AM Re: therapy weirdness [Re: ThisMan]
Tyr Offline
MaleSurvivor

this man,

this isnt going to sound nice. but its true.

some things in life can be considered painful and unpleasant intiations.

It certainly is true that you know what the pain fo a woman is now. the T may have been tactless. but he/she was accurate.

woman and men have been getting raped for years. unfortunately. the world still doesnt want to deal with rape survivors that are men and there are not many resources on the subject so some well meaning therapists are translating the best they can. its not an excuse but its the truth.

i hate to say it, but she or he isnt being rude, just honest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, peroperic2009 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.