Newest Members
kk90, Austintexan, Cancan, LS, PaulnMA
12256 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
ByondClosedDoors (41), Dave1425 (32), DeafDavid (23), LowSky (57)
Who's Online
3 registered (I Want 2 Thrive, pete1973, 1 invisible), 43 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12256 Members
73 Forums
63118 Topics
441400 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#440923 - 07/15/13 04:22 AM Breaking the silence - speaking out is liberating
JoziSA Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Johannesburg, South Africa
I did my first live radio broadcast recently, it was part of our campaign for males to speak out and break the silence. In South Africa it is still a very taboo subject and it not spoken about in public, just whispers....men don't get abused or raped.

A lawyer Garry Hertzberg interviewed me for 60 minutes about my personal experiences. Other than telling my wife, it was the scarest thing I have done. I broke the silence, evicted the perpatrators and took further control of my life. I have been so worried about what people think....I now don't care a $&@$, it is their problem not mine.

It was one of the most liberating experiences I have had.

Find the link to the podcast below.

http://chaifm.com/images/Podcasts/TheLawAndYou/130612ALAY.mp3

South African MALE SURVIVORS of Sexual Abuse
www.samsosa.org
If your mind can perceive it and your heart can believe it, YOU can achieve it.

#440925 - 07/15/13 04:30 AM Re: Breaking the silence - speaking out is liberating [Re: JoziSA]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Hey Rees,
it is so good and inspiring to read about brave steps that you took on your journey.

Originally Posted By: JoziSA
I have been so worried about what people think....I now don't care a $&@$, it is their problem not mine.

This should be made as everyday mantra for survivor wink

Thanks for sharing with us!

Pero

#440931 - 07/15/13 09:35 AM Re: Breaking the silence - speaking out is liberating [Re: JoziSA]
KMCINVA Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Congratulations--it took courage and I am glad you found it liberating. You are so right--it is a taboo subject to many and many do not believe how pervasive it is or the impact it has on the victim. I am also at the point I do not care what others think. I have heard and experienced the worse from certain members of family about the abuse and their denial it occurred (sad because the reality is it did occur and ill treatment only hampers healing)and found friends and others so caring and giving. So there are many good and compassionate people who believe and give of themselves.

Thank you for taking such a step.

Kevin

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.