Newest Members
journey4two, VASurvivor, jayceemac, rwolf, FindingNemo
12328 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alicia (55), bubblytam (56), crazydragon (39), JGag78 (36), kris82 (32), Shin (28)
Who's Online
5 registered (journey4two, Greg56, GummyBear, 2 invisible), 15 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12328 Members
74 Forums
63402 Topics
443277 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#440445 - 07/09/13 09:34 AM The underwear campaign
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
See link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-23202242

New message from NSPCC

"The NSPCC says because most sexual assaults on children are made by people they know, it is vital that they understand at an early age that some types of touching are not right.

The campaign, launched on radio and online on Monday, advises parents to explain to children about what it calls "the underwear rule", using the acronym PANTS, which is that:

Privates are private
Always remember your body belongs to you
No means no
Talk about secrets that upset you
Speak up, someone can help you"

Not a bad list- maybe professionals are starting to get the picture.

They do seem to have different statistics to what we usually see- although I believe these NSPCC statistics more than "1in6".

""But as the statistics show it does happen to one in 20 kids, and nine times out of 10, by someone known to the child. So by talking about it, you are taking the first steps to keeping your children safe."

The article is worth a read, it is written fairly well and my extracts are put into context, it is quite a well rounded article.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#440507 - 07/09/13 07:36 PM Re: The underwear campaign [Re: king tut]
toddop Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: California
Thanks for posting this, King Tut. It is nice to see a proactive campaign targeting parents and kids.

This really made me think about my own abuse and whether hearing messages like this would have made me tell immediately. I guess there is no way of knowing that answer. I do remember stories told by other kids about "Chester the Molester" as kind of an urban legend. I heard stories about not getting into strange cars with older men. But, that did not stop me from getting abused.

I think the distinction is that it is a slow grooming that happened to me. In those situations, the abuse is designed by perps to kind of "sneak up" on the victim. Then, "bang," an act is committed and the freezing, the fear, the mental retreat happens. Then, the threats and coercion starts in. At that point, I am not sure any message like this can get through. But, maybe I am wrong. I would happily be wrong on that.

I am just glad to see this campaign as a step in the right direction. Hope to see more and more of this stuff.

Todd

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
-Albert Einstein

Moderator:  Chase Eric, ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.