Newest Members
RepressedMem, jet_step, JimHouston42, GKB, MorganWut
12468 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
AndyP (48), Gaius (50), JoziSA (52), mmafan66 (48), nltsaved (36), RMM (52), Steve63 (51), zenboy (51)
Who's Online
3 registered (3 invisible), 22 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12468 Members
74 Forums
64030 Topics
446834 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#443265 - 08/04/13 06:18 PM Re: "My perp" [Re: WalkingSouth]
SamV Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Talladega, Alabama, USA
A longtime ago a fellow survivor on the site and I went around on the "my perp" v. "the perp". Interestingly my perspective was that I was abused by a relative, but I called that person "the perp" where his abuser was a non relative, someone who was in his life as a mentor and he used the term "my perp". He used the term as the abuse happened to him in his teens and late twenties where the abuse I suffered(interesting again that I almost use the term "mine" here) was as a child barely in school. His abuse was after the "home" experience where the abuse I suffered was at my hoe of origin.

I think the experience of the abuse, the amount of shame, gender and age as well as other factors can determine the proprietary stance taken by survivors. I find in writing thus that I struggle with the pronoun versus using the definite article, my observations, good topic as it helps us to consider our perceptions.

"Not my abuser",
Sam

#443291 - 08/04/13 09:42 PM Re: "My perp" [Re: WalkingSouth]
Castle Offline

Loc: NJ
Im a big believer in "the" perp, rather than "my perp".

The shame belongs to him, not me. Its his abuse to carry, sadly I just carry the invisible scars of being his victim.

Blame Mike Lew laugh

My posts can self destruct at any time..read them while you can.

#443295 - 08/04/13 10:09 PM Re: "My perp" [Re: Castle]
Chase Eric Offline
MaleSurvivor

Five to one say "the" perp vs "my" perp. I reserve the right to be dead wrong as I well could be, and certainly counter-current as I often am. But I suppose at least I can say that makes it "my" work and these words could be "my" mistakes. But they ring true for me, so I'll let them stand here. Always the maverick, I guess.

Interesting insights, never-the-less, and I respect all the views expressed here. They really make me think.

Click my pic to see why I'm here

#443310 - 08/05/13 02:03 AM Re: "My perp" [Re: WalkingSouth]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: somewhere in Africa
I not only say THE perps -- but also THE step-dad and even THE mother.
I want as little as possible connection and relation to any and all of them.

Lee
Now I know my life has meaning
Now I see myself as I am, feeling very free...
When my tears have come to an end I will understand
What I left behind: a part of me. Chicago

#443332 - 08/05/13 05:38 AM Re: "My perp" [Re: WalkingSouth]
Publius Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: OH
I guess I fall into the "my perp" category although I am not particularly attached to its usage. As I continue to shift more and more blame onto the person responsible for my abuse I personally have become more comfortable with referencing "my abuser." I believe this is because "my abuser" no longer represents a threat to me. The blame, the guilt, and the shame all belong to him and so in calling him "my abuser" I am alleviating myself of all these things while exposing and proclaiming his culpability. Nevertheless, I can see the value in disowning him entirely and choosing a different route just so long as both roads lead to recovery : )

#463875 - 04/08/14 09:04 PM Re: "My perp" [Re: WalkingSouth]
WalkingSouth Offline
MaleSurvivor

Bottom line is that each person is different and maybe even heals from emotional trauma differently. Each person must find what works for them in their recovery. Just as importantly each person in recovery will probably at some point learn to allow his fellow travelers the grace to recovery in a way that works for them. "My perp" or "the perp", whatever terminology we use, if it furthers our healing it's awesome!!! smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.