Newest Members
JLB, MrsC, wraphd, blufish, JPmc
12437 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
carperson (26), Daryoush (59), Gary31 (48), Overburdened78 (33), scaredcrappie (29), ThomasO (63), Wornoutsoul (38), WRR (34), zakwilde005 (45)
Who's Online
2 registered (JW1230, 1 invisible), 14 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12437 Members
74 Forums
63848 Topics
445828 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#440162 - 07/05/13 07:57 PM You Gotta Do It For YOU!
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL

When I graduated high school back in 1993 I was a skinny-ass little bean pole, weighing in at just over 150 lbs. I am 6'0" tall and may have been a little bit shorter than that back then but not by much. Ether way, I was skinny as hell and maintained my weight no matter what I ate.

As an adult, my diet and fairly sedentary lifestyle caught up with me eventually, especially when I started working in the pizza business in 1998. By 2008, I had grown to about 220 lbs and was clearly overweight. As a New Years resolution that year, I swore that I was going to loose 50 lbs by 2009. I committed myself to a strict regimen of diet and exercise and by late October of 2008 I hit 170 lbs.

Since then, I have gone back up to 185 lbs but a lot of that weight is from added muscle and not added fat. (Ok, ok, some of it is probably from added fat but not most of it.) I don't always maintain the best diet and I drink way to much beer but I have not broken my exercise regimen in all of the 5 and 1/2 years.

I have to be honest and admit that sometimes I wonder why I do it. Because of my CSA issues, I do not and will not ever want a relationship with a woman or a man. I do not want to have sex with anybody and I could care less if anyone was attracted to me. So, why do I do it? Who the fuck am I trying to impress?

The answer has to be that I'm doing it for me. I'm doing it because I want to look good for myself and be able to have some sense of pride that I actually achieved something in my miserable life. When I look in the mirror I want to be able to say, "Damn, that dude is in pretty good shape! Who is that guy? He must have done a lot of work on himself." If other people can look at what I see in the mirror and find it attractive, fine, but it doesn't matter. They can't have it anyway, no matter who they are. It's all mine and I don't wanna share it with nobody! The fact is, I do this for myself and nobody else. If nothing else, I think that's why others should do it to. YOU gotta do it for YOU! Peace,

Ken

#440201 - 07/06/13 08:12 AM Re: You Gotta Do It For YOU! [Re: BraveFalcon]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
Hear, hear. I totally agree. Even though I guess I have many reasons, the lasting reason is just for myself, for me to feel good about myself. I guess feeling good about myself will then have an impact in the way I interact with people.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#457608 - 12/29/13 08:33 PM Re: You Gotta Do It For YOU! [Re: BraveFalcon]
gettingstronger Offline

Loc: Virginia
Hi Ken,

Just saw this post. KT, I agree completely! It's way too easy to do all this sort of thing for someone else, be it a spouse, girlfriend/boyfriend or that stranger you haven't met yet. Those are all the wrong reasons.

Ultimately, everything a survivor does in the way of growth should be for himself, first and foremost. If it's done with an eye toward benefitting others as well, that's great-- but first, it has to be for you, and motivated by you.

Our society dictates all sorts of things we're "supposed" to be. This isn't much different from "keeping up with the Joneses." Some of us have spent far too much time trying to be what some other person out there wants/needs/expects us to be, but I think it's much healthier to establish your very own standards and then live up to them. Never do it for someone else. So Ken, good for you!

Bob

Edited by gettingstronger (12/29/13 08:35 PM)

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.