Newest Members
lilac, The Wife Of, smusab, whiteflag, North101
12287 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
adam319 (46), Bellemaman (36), Bob G. (58), S D Witwicky (38)
Who's Online
4 registered (wild_turky, 3 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12287 Members
73 Forums
63225 Topics
442119 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#439785 - 07/02/13 10:37 AM Practicing Mindfulness
Chris Anderson Offline
Executive Director
MaleSurvivor
Loc: New York
Recently there have been a lot of articles on the effectiveness of meditation and mindfulness in the healing journey. On our Weekends of Recovery, both mindfulness and meditation are important skills that receive attention. As Jim Struve, co-chair of the weekends says:

Quote:
Mindfulness and Meditation are both useful tools for the journey to heal from sexual trauma. Explained in the simplest terms, “mindfulness” is the skill of perceiving reality exactly as it is; “meditation” is any practice of intentionally experiencing uninterrupted mindfulness. Breathing is the fundamental building block for both mindfulness and meditation. Meditation practices require the skills of mindfulness and a goal is to achieve un-intruded quiet reflection for an extended period of time (perhaps 15 or 30 minutes). In contrast, mindfulness is a moment-by-moment experience that does not require the more extended practice of meditation. Meditation can be a frustrating enterprise for survivors of trauma, as it may be difficult to overcome feelings of anxiety and inner messages of fear and shame that are necessary to achieve extended calmness. Unsuccessful attempts at meditation are often experienced as failure. Because mindfulness only requires that we focus on our authentic experience one moment at a time, there is no failure - only opportunities to learn from whatever we experience one breath at a time. As we deepen our ability to be mindful, we can expand our awareness, enhance the depth of our emotional and intellectual expression, and regulate our responses to internal and external stimuli. We may then choose to pursue meditation or we may just cherish life moment by moment as a more mindful person.

In this month's From the Executive Director's Desk I share the story of how I've started using juggling as a method for practicing my mindfulness. In this thread, share with the other members of the community in what ways you practice mindfulness. Also, please feel free to post about the challenges you face in trying to find a practice of mindfulness that resonates for you. Remember, there are a million ways we can be mindful. The point is not to try and become a monk, it's about trying to find a way to stay in the present so that we can continue to do the hard work of healing. [quote][/quote]

Edited by Chris Anderson (07/03/13 02:49 PM)

#440113 - 07/05/13 04:48 AM Re: Practicing Mindfulness [Re: Chris Anderson]
ailment73 Offline

Excellent article! Dissociation is still the biggest problem for me. Fortunately I've already come a long way since early recovery.

Mindfullness being difficult but necessary and not enough in recovery definitely rang true for me.

I'm used to using mindfullness for grounding but there's definitely a lot more to learn. I've being using the Android app Headspace for a week now and it's seems like a good option for a formal meditation practice for a geek like me.

Antti

#440144 - 07/05/13 04:51 PM Re: Practicing Mindfulness [Re: Chris Anderson]
Chris Anderson Offline
Executive Director
MaleSurvivor
Loc: New York
Hi Antti,

Thanks so much for sharing that!

Chris

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.