Newest Members
Anony_mous, Drew6991x, Miro, jj843, The Abyss
12364 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Bear (42), BoyNoMore (56), Daniel_05 (40), James Landrith (44), john kay (41)
Who's Online
4 registered (Ocellaris, Amandla, lapchinj, 1 invisible), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12364 Members
74 Forums
63543 Topics
443970 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#440130 - 07/05/13 01:19 PM First Physical After Starting T
BuffaloCO Offline

Loc: USA
I have to get a physical for my new part-time job. Have never liked physicals but now I think I know why. It's not that a doctor ever did anything to me, it's the getting touched part, especially for the hernia exam. I really hate that part. Am just thinking I could try to dissociate during the whole thing, and it's a new doc so should tell her something about my past, in case I trigger. I don't think I have to tell her much, but this is the first time I'll ever have told a doctor about "it". Just not sure what to say or if trying to dissociate is a good idea, maybe that's something to get away from.

#440143 - 07/05/13 04:48 PM Re: First Physical After Starting T [Re: BuffaloCO]
newground Offline
Chatroom Moderator
MaleSurvivor
Loc: michigan
hey buff
I would love to give you great advice here but I really can't I always just grit my teeth, hold my breath and try to make it go as quick as possible,talking is NOT required. I am finding that is not the best way. but I am not anywhere near that place. I do know this it will be over quick and a nice hot shower after helps a lot.sorry I couldn't help more I will say one more thing. I have told twice now to the doc and I am currently waiting to start with a new doc. it hasn't went well for me I have heard from others that telling was the best thing for them and they were glad to have done it i guess it depends on the person. hope it goes well for you , and I am glad the hear you have a new job!
Jeff
Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. let me then tow to pieces, while still chasing thee, thou damned whale! Thus, I give up the spear!"
Herman Melville

#440255 - 07/06/13 11:28 PM Re: First Physical After Starting T [Re: BuffaloCO]
BuffaloCO Offline

Thanks Newground, I don't have a choice as it's needed for the job even though it's only part time. Otherwise would not go, at least not with where I am still in processing stuff. I figure just telling her that I can trigger because of abuse issues will be enough, and won't get into details. I do not think a good doctor would ask for details anyway. If I don't say anything and trigger, that could get scary I think. Would hate to panic and have them send me off to some hospital.

Used to be I could just stand there numb, but since starting T and bringing up so much stuff to deal with makes me think it'll be harder now. So will try the hold breath thing, focus on anything else I can like use the listing exercise that Anomolus taught me. That's where you think of something like ice cream and try to think of as many as you can in your mind. That could distract me I hope.

#440368 - 07/08/13 11:40 AM Re: First Physical After Starting T [Re: BuffaloCO]
BuffaloCO Offline

Today is the day but I have a plan. Breath, focus on something in the office like a picture on the wall, remember it's a clinical thing and nothing more, let my new doc know Im nervous and remember I have friends here who are with me in spirit. This challenge will not take me down! smile

#440372 - 07/08/13 12:18 PM Re: First Physical After Starting T [Re: BuffaloCO]
cosmos Offline

Loc: Puget Sound
Good Luck!!!

Chris

T. Paine

#440392 - 07/08/13 04:39 PM Re: First Physical After Starting T [Re: BuffaloCO]
BuffaloCO Offline

Done, did ok and talked to her about this. Another step taken. smile

#440744 - 07/12/13 08:12 PM Re: First Physical After Starting T [Re: BuffaloCO]
DavoSwim Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa, USA
Buffalo

I'm glad it went well. I told my doctor and it didn't go well. He just said I've had my share of bad luck. It wasn't the most supportive comment he could've made. It's changed the dynamic of the relationship I have with him- it's now become more a transaction rather than a doctor patient relationship.

Again, congratulations to you for having the guts to tell as well as following through. I hope it continues to be a good decision in your opinion.

DavO

Moderator:  ModTeam 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.