Newest Members
JayNL, Robert Barrett, lostsoul824, beatcook, MassGuy
12279 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
melnjams (42), rage (27)
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 22 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12279 Members
73 Forums
63188 Topics
441842 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#439870 - 07/03/13 01:00 AM identified?
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: back in the USA
has anyone here ever had someone you know identify you and figure out your user name and your real life identity from the hints and clues and details you have mentioned in the forums?

if so, what did you do? how did you handle it?

i think that may be happening to me - and it is very scary.
lee
and though badly hurt at times, we are not destroyed.
- Paul, II Cor 4:8-9

#439894 - 07/03/13 08:53 AM Re: identified? [Re: traveler]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Is this another user here or a "real life" person?

You have nothing to be ashamed of. You weren't the one who did anything bad.

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#439916 - 07/03/13 02:58 PM Re: identified? [Re: traveler]
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south
Lee, I have not had that happen. And as far as the CSA is concerned, it would be an expended energy I don't want wish to use to explain to whomever might "find me here", but I really don't care. I do however live in fear of that scenario with the ASA and that is one of the reasons I find myself removing most of the detailed postings. I don't want to be identified, singled out, or otherwise marked. It is to scary to think about emotionally and I just shutter what could happen physically. (Sort of pathetic for such a big ol' guy... ) Maybe I should remove my avatar, but it has given me such a sense of belonging and power and being a REAL kid.

And a big welcome home. You and the contributions you make were missed.

#439919 - 07/03/13 03:03 PM Re: identified? [Re: traveler]
DavoSwim Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Iowa, USA
Lee,

I have a real life acquaintance and we both know we're on MS, but we don't know each other's usernames and so don't recognize each others' posts.

There's a bit of curiosity on my part, and I imagine his, wondering who he is and if I'm reading any of his posts, but that's as far as it goes.

Dave

#439921 - 07/03/13 03:07 PM Re: identified? [Re: traveler]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: UK
I haven't had anybody find out I am on here randomly, although many people know I am on these boards.

Maybe you could expand on your specific situation?

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#439922 - 07/03/13 03:08 PM Re: identified? [Re: traveler]
king tut Offline
MaleSurvivor

Dave, if your real name is Dave, them i'm sure your friend wont have too much of a hard time recognising you lol, but who knows.

I love you, little lewis, and i will never leave you. We are the same. You brighten my day, and i will make sure that i brighten yours. Hugs and kisses.

#439959 - 07/03/13 07:54 PM Re: identified? [Re: traveler]
takingitslow Offline

I thought about this sort of situation a lot. I just came to the conclusion that if anyone I told in real life (that I used male survivor for support) decided to look up on here anything then well the benefit this site does for me far outweighs any what ifs and I won't surrender my right to use my name to sign off posts or post sensitive info or feel comfortable here. I embrace who I am and I am not ashamed of what I post on here.

I haven't told any enemies of mine that I use this site so I wouldn't expect any sinister motives of people I know if they browsed this site but if that did ever happen I guess I would just deal with it if it arose and not dwell on any possible nightmare scenarios as I find the what if approach to life just crushes me at times so better to try and be more optimistic and positive not expecting the worst future things to happen all the time.

Dan.

#440094 - 07/05/13 12:26 AM Re: identified? [Re: traveler]
traveler Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: back in the USA
more details - it is a guy i see frequently in real life now that i am "home" again. there is no way i can avoid it - nor do i want to.

but i have been very open on the forums about some very intimate details of my life that would be embarrassing to me and to my family if they were linked to us by someone who knew us and recognized me from the posts.

it is not what was done to me that i am so afraid of being known - but some of the after-effects - the dysfunctional aspects of my life - and how it has affected my relationships, etc.

for about 24 hours i was in and out of panic mode and had a really hard time trying to calm down. now i think - it will be OK .

i saw him again after the first post in this thread and he didn't act any differently than before. from that i take it that if he knows - it may not be as much of a big deal as i was afraid of. and if he does come here - it is pretty good odds that he is also a CSA survivor - which i suspected before - for a number of reasons. if that is true, then we may be able to offer some mutual support - and he probly doesn't want his cover blown either - so not likely that he will share his realization with others.

thanks for all the responses. you helped me put it into perspective.
lee
and though badly hurt at times, we are not destroyed.
- Paul, II Cor 4:8-9

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.