Newest Members
susanhepp, Breathe, georgetwo, frozen45, lilac
12291 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Guillermo (37), illbedat (26), Mike58 (56), Mnovit (38), Mongo (24), pwdasw (64), Raymond Sean (38), yesac76 (38)
Who's Online
6 registered (TJ jeff, woodenshoes, 4 invisible), 19 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12291 Members
73 Forums
63236 Topics
442208 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#439534 - 06/29/13 03:12 PM (Re-)Living Your Teens
concerned_husky Offline
MaleSurvivor

It's something I've been doing pretty much since my teens ended.

I acted out a lot in my twenties, in the form of a heavy gambling addiction, going broke ever so often and spending a couple of days without shelter and barely any food. Got into smoking too. On the other hand, during those years, I discovered what life should've been like during my teens - lots of friends, joking around, hanging out, having a good time, playing sports, being vital and spontaneous, chasing a dream etc. Mentioned this a few times earlier, but last year, I also got placed in a dorm for 16-19 year old kids as part of a language course, and made loads of friends. It's been a blast hanging out with them, almost literally living my teens, with teens. I fit in perfectly and they've accepted me pretty much as one of their own, to the extent that largely I feel like a 17/18 year old, if it weren't for the fact that I'm 25.

Now...at the moment, I'm sitting here in front of my laptop munching on some pink cotton candy that I got from a visit to the amusement park yesterday. And yeah I'm kind of creeping myself out too. So much for my developing masculinity. Anyway, one of the kids I'd met last summer had disappeared for a year pretty much, and a few days ago he showed up back from the dead as part of a big (pleasant) surprise. Turned out he was depressed and needed to shut himself off from the world. We were smoking (I know, I'm such a bad influence on him) at around 2am, discussing all kinds of stuff, and I asked him if he was uncomfortable with the fact that he was hanging out with a 25 year old. He told me as far as he was concerned I was 17 like him. Now I'm thinking...is that actually a good thing? I swear I'm like the 21st-century version of a Peter Pan thinking he lives in Neverland just because it takes ages for him to grow a proper mustache. Like being stuck in limbo land and I've got a hard time getting out. Reliving my teens has been the most awesome experience I could've ever imagined, but a part of me now is telling me I have to move on and integrate myself into the adult real world. That would mean rewiring my brain that's accepted certain patterns that's lasted for about 5 years.

Anyone else gone through this kind of thing? Any tips for growing up and leaving Neverland, so to speak?

Edited by concerned_husky (07/01/13 05:30 PM)
Edit Reason: I'm not Michael Jackson.

#439568 - 06/30/13 02:53 AM Re: (Re-)Living Your Teens - Neverland [Re: concerned_husky]
peroperic2009 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: South-East Europe
Hey husky I know exactly what you are talking about wink
I have had somewhere similar post but can't find it in this universe, lol.
For the last two years when I trained tennis I was offered to become part of group of three boys plus me and I accepted.
They were much younger, lol, one friend was in primary school and two other were in high school. It is easy to forget all problems and issues from those times (parties, love problems, strict parents, school and similar...) and that experience was for me like I've been put in time machine. This year we split because of different obligations and reasons and I miss those Saturdays, lol.

#439663 - 07/01/13 12:49 PM Re: (Re-)Living Your Teens [Re: concerned_husky]
concerned_husky Offline
MaleSurvivor

smile Pero.

Time machine is a nice way to put it. Was thinking about this today and I realized the kids I hang out with are much more mature/intelligent and lively/vital than I gave them credit for, more so even than my same-age counterparts. Maybe that's why I'm inclined to hang out with them.

#439690 - 07/01/13 05:36 PM Re: (Re-)Living Your Teens [Re: concerned_husky]
concerned_husky Offline
MaleSurvivor

...I just read the Michael Jackson thread. And then I reread this thread. I literally went pale after realizing what all this talk about Neverland, amusement parks and hanging out with teens could imply. Please let me assure you, I am SO not Michael Jackson. *Facepalm* Sorry if it triggered anyone.

Edited by concerned_husky (07/01/13 05:45 PM)
Edit Reason: A little emphasis.

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.