Newest Members
GKB, MorganWut, myrlin, AaronS, BookHouseBoy
12465 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
isol8er (43), omrfople (38)
Who's Online
5 registered (manipulated, JW1230, Logan, 2 invisible), 15 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12465 Members
74 Forums
63998 Topics
446687 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#439511 - 06/29/13 09:51 AM Five Years Ago Tonight - A Violent Crime Story
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: The ATL
Hi all. The following is the story of the events that took place on the night of 6/28/08. That was the night I was violently attacked (not sexually) and car-jacked while delivering pizza. It's also the story of how I wound up with a metal plate and some screws in my face.

As many of you know, I've spent most of my life living in the Atlanta area but from 6/04 to 7/09, I lived in Jacksonville, FL. While I was there, I made a living delivering pizza for Papa John's, a company I also worked at for several years before moving to Florida and also for a short time after moving back. During my five year tenure at the Jacksonville location, I was robbed at gunpoint on four separate occasions but only harmed on one of them. This is the story of that event.

It was about 10:30 PM. I had just finished a two-stop delivery and was headed back to the store. I came to a three-way stop at a small intersection in a middle class subdivision and found myself behind a silver Honda Civic. After a few seconds of waiting for the Civic to proceed through the intersection, I was getting impatient and was about to start honking. That's when a masked man emerged out of the passenger-side door.

I knew I was about to get robbed, so I threw my blue 2003 Kia Rio into reverse and pressed the accelerator. The masked man sprinted up to the driver side of my car and I slammed on the brakes, hoping I had enough time to throw the car back into drive, slip past the silver Civic, and speed away. This was a mistake.

The second I stopped the car, my assailant pistol-whipped me in the face through the open window and dove in over me to remove my keys from the ignition. While he was doing this, I was hunched over the center console, watching a solid stream of blood pour out of my face and all over the gear shift and emergency brake. Then, when he had the keys out of the ignition, he pulled me from my vehicle, made me lie on the ground and told me to empty my pockets.

At the time, my wallet was in my glove compartment and all I had in my pockets was my driver change bank, which at this point had dwindled to a mere $7. The two delivery orders I had just taken were both credit card orders, so there was no cash to be had from them.

I took the $7 I did have and tossed it back towards him as best I could while laying flat on my belly. He picked the $7 up and demanded, "Give it ALL up! I'll fuckin' shoot you, dawg!" I almost sarcastically responded, "Dude, I'm a pizza delivery guy! How much fucking money did you expect me to have?" (I know it may not be the best idea to overtly infer that a man who has a gun pointed at you is stupid, but that's just me.) With that, he picked up the $7, got in my car, and sped away into the night, along with his accomplice who was driving the Civic.

After the attack, I went to the nearest house and got them to call the police for me. The police found my car that same night, which the perp had driven less than a mile and ditched after stealing everything out of it he could, including my wallet, which he obviously had found in the glove compartment. As it turns out, that would be his undoing, but I'll get to that in a moment.

Although my car had been recovered, I was not allowed to have it back for several days while the police fingerprinted it and whatnot. The real kicker to all that is, I, THE VICTIM, was the one who had to pay the towing and impound fees for all of that before I was allowed to have my car back. Yeah, no shit. How fucked is that?

Fast-forward about three weeks and I was in the hospital having surgery to repair the broken bones in my face. Fortunately, workers comp covered 100% of this. The surgeons implanted a small plate as well as several screws into my Zygomatic Arch, (cheek bone) and also popped my badly broken nose back into place.

This is what I looked like about two days after the attack. I am not 100% comfortable leaving an adult pic of me on the public board, so I am going to remove it after the thread dies. If you are reading this past that point, let me know and I'll PM it to you.

(Photo removed)

(My nose isn't normally that crooked. That was from the pistol whipping. The surgeons were able to mostly straighten it back out.)

The good news is.... SHITHEAD GOT CAUGHT!!!!!! When I first realized he'd gotten my wallet that night, I was hella pissed! As it turned out though, that was a major blessing in disguise.

After ditching my car, this moron and his accomplice went all over town trying to use my credit cards. One of the places they stopped was a local Walmart. So, all the cops had to do was coordinate with the credit card company and the store to find out what register they had used the card at and at what time it was used. From that, they were able to pull up the surveillance footage of the perps at the register. From that, they were able to pull up the footage of them walking out of the store. From that, they were able to view the footage from the parking lot camera that got them getting in their little Civic and driving away, and, from that, a licence plate number. Because of his own stupidity, the guy who attacked me and broke my face that night is sitting in a Florida state correctional facility, with an earliest possible release date of 7/6/2020. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

Here he is...

The Shithead Who Carjacked Me And Broke My Face

If I had the opportunity, there are a couple of things I'd like to say to this guy. One being... "Hey buddy, I hope that $7 was worth it! HA HA!"

Two being... "Look at you, Mr. Colon! Look how big and bad and scary you think you are, Mr. Gangsta! I'll bet you think you really got me that night, don't you? I'll bet you think you really traumatized me and scarred me, don't you? That's a fucking laugh! What you did to me was nothing. On a physical level, I'll always have this little scar on the left side of my face. 'Tis but a scratch', if you'll forgive me a shameless Monty Python quote. What you did to me affected me emotionally for no more than a few months. Sure, it took a while before I stopped looking over my shoulder every time I got out of my car, or stopped constantly checking my surroundings to look for threats like you, but that didn't last. Compared to the trauma of my childhood, you weren't/aren't shit. Compared to my abusers, you are nothing but a stupid, sub-human thug. Does that make you feel like less of a man? Do you realize that some young kids who were just older than me were 1000x worse than you could ever be? You aint shit, Colon. I'd rather relive your attack on my person 1000 times than relive my childhood. You're a joke. The only thing that even made you a little scary was that you had a gun. Oooooo.... you're so fucking tough! If you'd had any balls at all you would have emptied your clip into my brain and ended my miserable fucking life but you didn't have the balls, did you? Not even after I all but overtly made fun of you for being stupid enough to think a pizza guy would have more than a few dollars on him and did so while you were pointing the gun at me, threatening to kill me. Don't you realize I was daring you to shoot me when I said that? But you didn't. What a pussy! What a joke! Compared to the demons of my past, you aren't much of a demon at all, Colon. Nope. You're just a worthless street thug and a coward. Oh, and I hope that seven dollars was worth 12 years of your meaningless life, you fuck!"

So, that is pretty much it. That was the story of the time I was carjacked and pistol-whipped in the face while delivering pizza in Jacksonville, FL. It's funny how when I tell this story to people in real life, they listen in silent horror, but if I told them the basic details of my CSA, a lot of the same people would think what I told them was "not that bad". The reality of the situation is, the sexual/emotional trauma I experienced as a child damaged me and affected my life 1000 times more than this violent robbery did. Maybe even more than 1000 times. The difference is immeasurable. Give me a violent robbery assault any day. "Tis but a scratch!" That's all it ever could be. Take care all. Peace,

Ken

Edited by BraveFalcon (07/07/13 12:03 PM)

#439514 - 06/29/13 11:35 AM Re: Five Years Ago Tonight - A Violent Crime Story [Re: BraveFalcon]
bodyguard8367 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ""
""

Edited by bodyguard8367 (02/27/14 05:01 PM)

#439515 - 06/29/13 11:42 AM Re: Five Years Ago Tonight - A Violent Crime Story [Re: BraveFalcon]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Geez, Ken, you ARE a badass. I got chilled just reading about that story. In away it shows how "grounded" you are in being able to prioritize sources of harm and trauma. I'd also venture to suggest that it helps seeing the perp was brought to justice and punished in this case; I've read that a major chunk of the damage if CSA is that perps usually get away with it.

Also, hope this doesn't weird you out but... even with being all beat-up, you otherwise look like a completely normal dude. That kind of sticks out with me because I went through a period of intense paranoia that people could "see it" on me, and I'm not entirely past that. Coupled with how secretive everybody is here and you get to start to thinking everybody is wearing a one-eyed Elephant Man mask. So thank you for your courage in revealing that these things have taken place in the past of normal, everyday people.

A few years ago I was attacked by a crazy homeless guy. My dog barked at him and that was that - he chased me down the street, grabbed me by the throat and started choking me, saying he was gonna kill me. I did a double-footed jump backwards, he lost his grip, I started taking his pics on my phone and that made him back down; then I escaped by running across 4 lanes of oncoming traffic, dodging cars all the way. I carried a knife with me when walking there for a few days afterwards. Didn't help that the psycho was still lurking in the neighborhood for a month after; I told the cops but they didn't do fuck-all.

Matt

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#439524 - 06/29/13 01:30 PM Re: Five Years Ago Tonight - A Violent Crime Story [Re: BraveFalcon]
ThisMan Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: upper south
Ken. You are one amazing dude. Brave. I hope for you that on this milestone anniversary, things are easy and safe. And thank you for allowing us the privilege of seeing your grownup face... And for the message to Mr. Colon. Shows tremendous strength in your spirit.

You, sir, are the BraveFalcon.

bill

#439529 - 06/29/13 02:58 PM ! [Re: BraveFalcon]
Smalltown80sBoy Offline
MaleSurvivor

!

Edited by Smalltown80sBoy (02/28/14 08:04 PM)

#439537 - 06/29/13 04:10 PM Re: Five Years Ago Tonight - A Violent Crime Story [Re: BraveFalcon]
Suwanee Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Loc: Southeast USA
Damn Ken.

That's crazy messed up. What a piece of garbage. I remember seeing the sign for his current residence off of US 90 in Milton.

I'm glad your survived that night...and everything else you've put up with. You truly are a survivor.

Will

-Signs and traces left in stone
Ruins of a past unknown-

#439543 - 06/29/13 05:56 PM Re: Five Years Ago Tonight - A Violent Crime Story [Re: Suwanee]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: bodyguard8367

I was struck by your picture....OUCH!!..(and what a pretty face you have btw)

Thank you for saying that. I've always considered myself to be sort of a goofy-lookin' fuck. Although I have to admit, I did look kind of bad-ass with my face all bashed in. I should have been telling people that for fun I like to go out into the woods and get in fights with bears. Yeah, that's the ticket! That's what really happened!

I still look more or less the same, only five years older and I've lost the goatee. Also, my nose isn't crooked and my face isn't bashed-in.

Originally Posted By: SoccerStar
I'd also venture to suggest that it helps seeing the perp was brought to justice and punished in this case; I've read that a major chunk of the damage if CSA is that perps usually get away with it.

Yeah, it would have driven me crazy if he hadn't been caught. Fortunately the idiot was a victim of his own stupidity as much as I was a victim of his savagery. I used to agonize a little over the fact that if I had just stayed on the accelerator in reverse for another 50 feet, I probably would have been able to get away but, in a small way, I'm glad that didn't happen. If I had gotten away, he probably would have gone on to victimize more people for god knows how long. Who knows, he may still be out there today.

The only outcome that would have been better would be if I had stayed in reverse for another 50 feet and was able to run his ass over in the process of my escape. If that had happened, because of Florida's "stand your ground " laws, not in a million years would I have been charged with a crime for doing it. Oh, and I wouldn't have lost a fucking wink of sleep over it either. What I wouldn't give for another shot at that.

By the way, sorry to hear about the crazy dude that attacked you. You're a saint for not beating that guy into a bloody, unconscious pulp.

Originally Posted By: ThisMan
Ken. You are one amazing dude. Brave. I hope for you that on this milestone anniversary, things are easy and safe.

Thanks Bill. Although things are never easy. Safe, mostly, but never easy.

Originally Posted By: Smalltown80sBoy
I'm sorry, Ken. I was mugged several times and you handled it much better than I did. I was also gay-bashed once and my eyes were swollen shut for several days.

Jesus Christ dude, that's fucking horrible! To me, someone being gay-bashed is way worse than being attacked during a robbery. The reason being, it's so much more personal. Anyone who would assault another human being for their sexuality deserves to be placed in a burlap sack, set on fire, and thrown off a cliff. One with spikes at the bottom.

Originally Posted By: Suwanee

I'm glad your survived that night...and everything else you've put up with. You truly are a survivor.

Thanks Will. Yeah, I take a liking but keep on ticking. A lot of the time I don't even know why, but I do. Take care all. Peace,

Ken

#439559 - 06/30/13 12:11 AM . [Re: BraveFalcon]
JoeSmith Offline

#439602 - 06/30/13 04:04 PM Re: Five Years Ago Tonight - A Violent Crime Story [Re: JoeSmith]
BraveFalcon Offline
Greeter
MaleSurvivor

Originally Posted By: JoeSmith
Ken, I am so sorry you went through something like this, I had no idea you experienced anything like this. It sounds like you have moved past it and recovered, but in my opinion what you experienced was one of the worst things that can happen to anyone, being attacked in your own car, by someone in a mask, then beaten, threatened to be shot and robbed, that is one of the most horrific crimes to go through, I am sorry.

Hi Greg. Yeah, I'm not going to say it wasn't traumatic. It was, but it certainly didn't leave me with issues that affect every aspect of my life like the CSA did. Compared to the CSA, this violent street crime was nothing, at least in terms of it's long-term impact on my life.

The funny thing is, when I went the victims services people in Jacksonville to see what kind of help they could offer me, one of the things they offered to do was set me up with a T pro-bono if I needed help dealing with what had happened to me. I didn't take them up on it and thought, "Jesus Christ, there are things I need therapy for 100 times more than I need therapy for the car jacking. People actually go to therapy because they got fucking robbed?"

You know, as a generally compassionate and caring person, it is very difficult for me to understand how anyone could wind up as brutal and animalistic as the guy who attacked me that night. What must have happened to this guy in his life that could have left him with so little humanity in his soul that he could bash a complete stranger's face in with a gun for what could only have been a nominal amount of money at most? How could he have been so callus about it? I mean, I've had some horrible shit happen to me in my life as well and I don't go around attacking or assaulting or abusing anyone.

Speaking of him being callus, while the dude was awaiting trial the detectives told me that some of the evidence they had against him included testimony from people he knew who said that this guy even bragged about what he did to me. The direct quote they gave me was "I put a lick on the pizza man last night." Yeah, he was proud of it! When I think about that I get so angry that I immediately return to the fantasy I have about running his ass over with my car. If only it had ended that way. I even have this little fantasy of myself running him over with my car, but stopping when my front tire is squarely on top of his body, then twisting the wheel back and forth to grind and twist and smash his body into the asphalt, ripping it apart. I know I just called myself a generally compassionate and caring person and I am, up to a point, but fuck this guy. Take care. Peace,

Ken

#439615 - 06/30/13 07:14 PM Re: Five Years Ago Tonight - A Violent Crime Story [Re: BraveFalcon]
OCN Offline

Loc: Western Europe
What a story Ken..

Glad you came out the way you did!

thanks for sharing this story! Don't have much to say, but i wanted to let you know i found it interesting to read!

Peter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.