Newest Members
Barracuda312, Just Hanging, mossTI, E35, 1975
12339 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
GeneF48 (66), kun wang (32)
Who's Online
3 registered (wild_turky, 2 invisible), 15 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
12339 Members
74 Forums
63434 Topics
443441 Posts

Max Online: 418 @ 07/02/12 07:29 AM
Twitter
Topic Options
#439412 - 06/27/13 11:34 PM How much better does it get?
Radray Offline

Here is some background to my question. I was raped for two years when I was nine and ten. At age eleven I started doing drugs and drinking, to deal with the pain of it all. Being raped really did a number on me. I went to a shrink and she really helped me get off the drugs and alcohol but she really didn't help me with being raped. I'm currently searching for the most qualified doctor I can find, as a second question if anyone can give me a recommendation for a dr in WA State that would be great. But my question is with the best help that I can get how much better does it get. I don't think I'll ever "get over it" but for example I'm constantly depressed and always anxious. Can those things go away for good? Not saying will I never be depressed or anxious again but will I only experience these when appropriate, not all the time. I also feel very alone, a lot of that has to do with having anxiety in social situations and a lot of trust issues, I just can't open myself up to let people close. It's like I'm always on guard. Will seeing a shrink help with that? I guess my question is do we ever stop surviving life and start living life?

#439415 - 06/28/13 12:07 AM Re: How much better does it get? [Re: Radray]
SoccerStar Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: New York
Hi Radray,

"Getting over it" is the wrong frame of mind - if anything, most people's experience with "getting over it" is just being demanded to do that by some clueless jerk who doesn't recognize his or her own good fortune and privilege.

What is possible is to DEAL with it. What is possible is to place it in proper context amidst the rest of your life, so that it is no longer immediately and constantly painful and you are capable of constructing a stable and happy life in spite of it. Many people have done just that and it is the hope of recovery.

"How much better does it get?" Well, it's different for everybody, but there are certainly cases where people went from being effectively non-functional, self-destructive, spiraling and s**c*d*l, to significantly calming down and being able to see the good in themselves and other people and the world again - and with that achieved, able to enjoy life and build a better future for themselves. It never goes away, but it doesn't have to go away for life to get better.

Depression and anxiety are "introductory" symptoms - so supercommon amongst survivors of sexual abuse and trauma in general that the professional community has a lot of experience in treating it. Get yourself a good therapist, get a consult with a psychiatrist and get put on the proper mix of meds to help manage your symptoms and allow yourself to begin mapping the rebuild.

There are resources listed on the main page that should help with finding care in your area. If you stick with this, you can benefit from it greatly.

Matt

"Don't think it hasn't been a little slice of heaven just because it hasn't!" --Bugs Bunny

#439449 - 06/28/13 12:55 PM Re: How much better does it get? [Re: Radray]
bodyguard8367 Offline
MaleSurvivor

Loc: ""
""

Edited by bodyguard8367 (02/27/14 04:58 PM)

Moderator:  ModTeam, TJ jeff 

I agree that my access and use of the MaleSurvivor discussion forums and chat room is subject to the terms of this Agreement. AND the sole discretion of MaleSurvivor.
I agree that my use of MaleSurvivor resources are AT-WILL, and that my posting privileges may be terminated at any time, and for any reason by MaleSurvivor.